Exponential Audio Verbs: PhoenixVerb, Nimbus, R4. Your Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is the nimbus a real game changer, for phoenixverb. i own a lot of reverbs (from DAW's, and third party, mainly third party, covered many grounds).

Game changer I don't know, depends on what you have I guess. There are many people that can provide a more informed assessment, but I think it's probably as good as it gets for clean and realistic sounding reverbs. Also Nimbus has a lot of extra control and features over PhoenixVerb. I actually just bagged it yesterday, but am really liking it so far.

I too wouldn't necessary say game changer, but it is phoenixverb on steroids, and for $29 for me a no brainer if I didn't haven't already, twice :)
As mentioned before, for me it is the best transparent software reverb by miles.
rsp
sound sculptist

WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 am is the nimbus a real game changer, for phoenixverb. i own a lot of reverbs (from DAW's, and third party, mainly third party, covered many grounds).
Here is a comparison I did in the bargain chat, having just gotten Nimbus, looking solely at the parameters.

What Nimbus has that Phoenixverb doesn't:

In the filter section: Input Frequency, Early Filt Freq, a button to switch between host tempo and a user tapped one (or enter numbers), and there are two more filter shapes-- and they additionally are given for Input Frequency and Early Filt Freq (instead of just for the "Out Frequency").

There is a "Trim" dial beneath Reverb Time, and there is a "Warp" button (must look into what this does, but it does make for a different sound sometimes).

On the right side, beneath the same five dials from Phoenixverb, there are three dials: RevDelay Time, Tail Suppress, and Tail Recovery.

Checking presets, there are a lot more for Nimbus, maybe double the amount for just the "Medium Hall" category. Nimbus has a preset category titled, "Phoenixverb," making it look like all the Phoenixverb presets are in Nimbus (I ain't counting).

In the Attack tab, there is a Plate 2 option (another algorithm it must be). And a few more dials in the other tabs--a bunch for Warp.

I have not compared the sound of the two.

TL;DR: You can tweak Nimbus more, it has a warping feature, and it has an additional plate algorithm.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Yeah that was comprehensive. A whopping 1300 presets. The second plate is one extra algorithm over the PhoenixVerb. And warp mode is compression/expansion, overdrive/saturation and bit crushing.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:53 pm
WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 am is the nimbus a real game changer, for phoenixverb. i own a lot of reverbs (from DAW's, and third party, mainly third party, covered many grounds).
Here is a comparison I did in the bargain chat, having just gotten Nimbus, looking solely at the parameters.

What Nimbus has that Phoenixverb doesn't:

In the filter section: Input Frequency, Early Filt Freq, a button to switch between host tempo and a user tapped one (or enter numbers), and there are two more filter shapes-- and they additionally are given for Input Frequency and Early Filt Freq (instead of just for the "Out Frequency").

There is a "Trim" dial beneath Reverb Time, and there is a "Warp" button (must look into what this does, but it does make for a different sound sometimes).

On the right side, beneath the same five dials from Phoenixverb, there are three dials: RevDelay Time, Tail Suppress, and Tail Recovery.

Checking presets, there are a lot more for Nimbus, maybe double the amount for just the "Medium Hall" category. Nimbus has a preset category titled, "Phoenixverb," making it look like all the Phoenixverb presets are in Nimbus (I ain't counting).

In the Attack tab, there is a Plate 2 option (another algorithm it must be). And a few more dials in the other tabs--a bunch for Warp.

I have not compared the sound of the two.

TL;DR: You can tweak Nimbus more, it has a warping feature, and it has an additional plate algorithm.
thank you for your detailed answer, i saw a YT, and the image, i already could see the differences.
it is indeed more tweakable. and the filter section. the warping feature is maybe the thing, that will turn me over. i already like phoenixverb (and do own already a lot of reverbs, or modular effects, so, it is difficult to decide, i will check if there is a demo. and my budget, normally, the price wouldn't be an use, but i spent 10x more, o wel, 13x more an other stuff, great stuff, o well even more, within 2 weeks..). but i like sounddesign effects, it will check if it is an addition, your detailed answer, makes it more tempting.

For me, additional ER patterns were the reason I upgraded from Phoenix to Nimbus many years ago. Having said that, I almost never used any of them since.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:23 pm For me, additional ER patterns were the reason I upgraded from Phoenix to Nimbus many years ago. Having said that, I almost never used any of them since.
Nimbus excels at adding "air" and filling the cracks, in orchestral, folk/rock, or even in electronic music. It's not a one-size fits all in terms of flexibility (I feel R4 is more flexible, for example).

I never know which reverb to send my drums and percs to, I just want it to gel properly and cleanly with the sound to place the stuff in a space, which seems to be a lot to ask for. I often settle for eventide 2016 stereo room, which I got free and does the job, but it's a bit boring to use, I only like it with one setting.
seems I should look into Nimbus?
I got many small/medium featured reverbs but no big, honking, alpha, msrp $200 reverbs.
tempting indeed, glad I picked up excalibur...

for sure comes with plenty of presets for drums

acYm wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm I never know which reverb to send my drums and percs to, I just want it to gel properly and cleanly with the sound to place the stuff in a space, which seems to be a lot to ask for. I often settle for eventide 2016 stereo room, which I got free and does the job, but it's a bit boring to use, I only like it with one setting.
I got many small/medium featured reverbs but no big, honking, alpha, msrp $200 reverbs.
If you can get it for $29 it’s worth considering. I like Relab reverbs at least as much. But those are even more $$$, but are on sale this month.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 pm
acYm wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm I never know which reverb to send my drums and percs to, I just want it to gel properly and cleanly with the sound to place the stuff in a space, which seems to be a lot to ask for. I often settle for eventide 2016 stereo room, which I got free and does the job, but it's a bit boring to use, I only like it with one setting.
If you can get it for $29 it’s worth considering. I like Relab reverbs at least as much. But those are even more $$$, but are on sale this month.
Agree with you 100%. EA and Relab are/were the best in the software reverb game to me. Relab is indeed on sale this month, but not even close to these kind of prizes.
Jump on it :)
rsp
sound sculptist

Even the Nimbus supposes to be a Phoenix like reverb, it is in different league. Added features makes it sounding so much better. I have almost all reverb plugins available and Nimbus is the best natural sounding reverb by far. I have never heard any other reverb that is able to blend with dry signal better than this one. For $29 is a steal

The exponential reverbs are very good, in a way it's a shame that izotope now owns them as they have
been severely devalued by them.

pekbro wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:21 pm The exponential reverbs are very good, in a way it's a shame that izotope now owns them as they have
been severely devalued by them.
Agreed.
Have they even added one feature since they have taken it over? (and no including their own name in the logo isn't a 'feature' :))
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”