Old DAWs - nostalgia thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to start a thread for old* DAWs fans or users.
Please share photos of your old DAWs - screenshots, discs and inserts, boxes, manuals etc.
Tell us what you liked about them. Are there any features which you miss even today?
Do you still use any old music audio/midi sequencer?

I've got some old music software which I'll post about from time to time but hopefully others will join in as well.

* Let's roughly define old as anything older than 2010.

First one is Cakewalk Project5 (version 1) released in March 2003

As much as I want to go through the boxes in my attic I've hoarded the last 35 years cause nostalgia is awesome, and believe me I want to when seeing stuff like this... I must resist cause the wife'll kill me. Oldest would be the physical ti99-4a and a basic programming book from Zayers that had a note playing code example, and a CZ1 manual and KorgM1 Synth -- wish I'd kept the CZ1 too. Fondest would be Amiga thru C64 trackers on 'actual' floppies and a Marantz 4 track. PC specifically would be Reason 3 and Cakewalk which I bought at the same time after 'trialing' stuff on newsgroups.
Have you tried Vital?

Here's a moldy oldy...... Kristal Audio Engine

I believe some of it's DNA made it into Studio One, (might be a wee bit of Cubendo up in there too!). It's still out there and free.

https://kristal-audio-engine.en.softoni ... =MOB-609.0

the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Psuper wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm As much as I want to go through the boxes in my attic I've hoarded the last 35 years cause nostalgia is awesome, and believe me I want to when seeing stuff like this... I must resist cause the wife'll kill me. Oldest would be the physical ti99-4a and a basic programming book from Zayers that had a note playing code example, and a CZ1 manual and KorgM1 Synth -- wish I'd kept the CZ1 too. Fondest would be Amiga thru C64 trackers on 'actual' floppies and a Marantz 4 track. PC specifically would be Reason 3 and Cakewalk which I bought at the same time after 'trialing' stuff on newsgroups.
Thanks for sharing it. I hope when your wife goes out you'll be able to add some pics to the thread.
For me, looking at this old stuff is like a kid in a candy store.
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:29 pm viewtopic.php?t=455613
I remembered there was a similar topic before, I couldn't find it though.
But I think this one is more about photos of these DAWs.

Monsum wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:20 pm First one is Cakewalk Project5 (version 1) released in March 2003

That's some really cool artwork. Spacey and futuristic. :)

Next one is Magix Music Studio 2004 Deluxe in which you could find actually two DAWs: Audio Studio based on Magix Samplitude and Midi Studio based on Emagic Logic.
The Midi Studio had renamed Logic's instruments: ES E, ES P and ES M.
Quite possible that the Magix electric piano instrument had Logic's EVP88 engine.

CapnLockheed wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 pm Here's a moldy oldy...... Kristal Audio Engine

I believe some of it's DNA made it into Studio One, (might be a wee bit of Cubendo up in there too!). It's still out there and free.

https://kristal-audio-engine.en.softoni ... =MOB-609.0

I remember it. I never tried it out because it couldn't load VST's (or other third party plugins, I think).

Another really old one is Angry Red Planet Temper. I used it a couple of times, but, it was buggy as hell.

Monsum wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:18 pm * Let's roughly define old as anything older than 2010.
I can't f**king get used to the fact people think that's "old" :scared:

I wish I had something tangible to share, but when I started in late 80s / early 90s it was all digital (i.e. copied over from a friend who had a tape). I left in 1999 and when I came back in around 2017 it was all over digital again :D

The journey went something like this for me:

1992-95, Atari 800XL - Chaos Music Composer:

1996-99, Amiga 600 - ProTracker:

1999, PC - FastTracker 2:

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Monsum wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:20 pm First one is Cakewalk Project5 (version 1) released in March 2003

This brings back memories. I loved that box. I can't remember much of the DAW though :)

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

eXT 1.4
Look what it can do! :love: :roll:
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

antic604 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:20 am I can't f**king get used to the fact people think that's "old" :scared:
I tried to be inclusive :)
antic604 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:20 am The journey went something like this for me:

1992-95, Atari 800XL - Chaos Music Composer
Atari 800XL was my first computer, mainly used for games and basic programming (or programming in BASIC I should've said) but also I remember some music software on 8-bit Atari that I had fun with, I have no idea what it was called.

Another audio/midi sequencer that came to my mind was a free version of Emagic Logic.
I was very excited about it but it turned out to be extremely limited - no vst instruments or effects, only four audio channels but it looked like a proper Logic :)

It was called Emagic Logic Fun...

...with a possibility to upgrade to Emagic Micrologic AV which offered much more useful features

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”