Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 pm
revvy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm Is it Obsession, OBsession, OBSession or OBSESSION?
obsession.
Obsession
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 pm Is it Obsession, OBsession, OBSession or OBSESSION?
They all sound the same anyway :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:12 pm prove it, with science, preferably in a dedicated thread, not off topic speculation in a company thread....
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:12 pm prove it, with science, preferably in a dedicated thread, not off topic speculation in a company thread....
Is that an invitation to prove it scientifically, or a invitation to cut the offtopic? ;)

Don't worry, even if I could I wouldn't. Even though, one day, AnX has to explain me how I would do that. He was just making a point, and exaggerated quite a bit, fair enough.

If you buy the VST version of Synapse synths how do you go about getting the RE (or visa versa)?

i think you have to shoot them a mail. At least that's what I read here some time ago.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 pm OT
you just sold OBsession, so you have no reason to even be in this thread. Go and troll somewhere else so we can get back on topic

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:30 pm If you buy the VST version of Synapse synths how do you go about getting the RE (or visa versa)?

contact via support at SA website (when the RE is released)

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:36 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 pm OT
you just sold OBsession, so you have no reason to even be in this thread. Go and troll somewhere else so we can get back on topic
Why thank you. I'm afraid you are in no position to decide that though. ;)

Richard_Synapse wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm Synapse Obsession is now available!

Obsession brings the power of a great polyphonic vintage synthesizer to your fingertips. It combines the astute modeling of voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs), voltage-controlled filter (VCF) and voltage-controlled amplifier (VCA) with a comprehensive individual voice control that has never been done before in this detail.

Link to the product page:
https://www.synapse-audio.com/obsession.html

Key features:
  • Two part engine with 8 or 16 voice boards
  • Single/Dual/Split modes
  • High-quality effect block with Delay, Reverb and Chorus
  • Precise control of many sound parameters per voice board
  • Stepped LFO with freehand drawing for rhythmic sequences
  • Scalable GUI, Retina-ready
  • Support for Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE)
  • 420 patches by leading sound designers
NKS Approved

Obsession is NKS-ready. Its factory library is automatically integrated into Maschine, Komplete Kontrol etc., with all presets properly tagged and a custom parameter map.

Formats & Pricing

Obsession is available in VST, Audio Unit and AAX formats (all 64-bit), for Windows and OS X. It can be purchased for only $99 on our shop page:
https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html

As always a free 30-day trial is available on the product page:
https://www.synapse-audio.com/obsession.html

https://www.thomannmusic.com/synapse_au ... ession.htm

Good prices there (at least for me).
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 pm
Hink wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 pm
Is that an invitation to prove it scientifically, or a invitation to cut the offtopic? ;)

Don't worry, even if I could I wouldn't. Even though, one day, AnX has to explain me how I would do that. He was just making a point, and exaggerated quite a bit, fair enough.
actually, I have been working very hard to keep someone put this thread out of it's misery comments from starting...I just got home from 8 hours working a difficult job at best to have to delete posts for an hour...we mods wont be the blame of this thread going off and exploding, nope, because that's what happens every time (and far more than once from you) and it's the people posting and not listening who are the problem...do people get the hint when I delete a whole lot of posts? No, a bunch of ingrates thinks its funny though...it isnt...stay on topic.

You see we get attacked for not doing our jobs by the same people who keep derailing these threads...that's just not fair
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 am
Arashi wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:28 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:31 pm Synapse Audio's synths have a certain sound, just like the synths from most other developers have a certain sound.
I've never been entirely convinced by the idea that everything made by one company has a "certain sound". Would be very interested to see any real evidence that supports this theory.
I think it happens. If you listen to the Arturia emulations, they all have a bit of a boxy sound to them that can be heard despite character differences in all of them. Even OB-Xa V has it.

Another thing that happens is preset style. You can hear Howard Scarr all over every single U-He synth, though his stuff is great and pretty wide ranging. Listen to Tone2 plugins though. I swear it’s as if they try to replicate the same set of presets over and over again. I don’t think I could pick any one of their synths out in a blind test, but when you dig into them you can start discerning differences, though it’s still clear they’re made by the same company.
I disagree. There's a definite break with the newer products as its a new younger team doing the DSP code at Arturia, versus the older stuff which was mainly coded by the guy at Xils Lab. The Phase distortion synth for example was coded by Oli Larkin as an external contractor. I don't see how synths coded by different people can have the same sound.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Richard_Synapse wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:16 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:31 pm Synapse Audio's synths have a certain sound, just like the synths from most other developers have a certain sound.
I've never been entirely convinced by the idea that everything made by one company has a "certain sound". Would be very interested to see any real evidence that supports this theory.
There is not going to be any.

In the vintage-analog world, many synths used Curtis or SSM chips, which do have a certain sound. They have been used by dozens of manufacturers though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEM_and_S ... nthesizers

In software, you could argue that some components have a certain sound, and this colors the overall synthesizer to some degree. But this is not a convincing argument when it comes to emulations, since emulations are designed to sound like particular hardware.

An argument can be made that it is the sound designers who craft specific, recognizable trademark sounds. That argument is a lot more convincing (think D50 here as the classic example).

Richard
I’m not of the mind that your plugins have a “sound,” but I do think that on other emulations they made compromises to meet a certain CPU use. Urs has said he did that with the filter FM in Diva, and made other choices where he personally felt he liked the results more, but let loose in Repro. How one chooses to make those concessions can end up imparting a character on an instrument. No? Again, I’m taking about Arturia, for the most part. They’re the most glaring example that I can think of. Just load up some of those instruments and start messing with the filters. Even though there are differences, they have a kind of clipped sound to them. I’m not even sure why, because they don’t seem to be band limited when you look at them, but if you compare the Obsession filter to the OB-Xa filter at the same cutoff frequency, you can easily hear what I’m talking about.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

v1o wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:00 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 am
I think it happens. If you listen to the Arturia emulations, they all have a bit of a boxy sound to them that can be heard despite character differences in all of them. Even OB-Xa V has it.

Another thing that happens is preset style. You can hear Howard Scarr all over every single U-He synth, though his stuff is great and pretty wide ranging. Listen to Tone2 plugins though. I swear it’s as if they try to replicate the same set of presets over and over again. I don’t think I could pick any one of their synths out in a blind test, but when you dig into them you can start discerning differences, though it’s still clear they’re made by the same company.
I disagree. There's a definite break with the newer products as its a new younger team doing the DSP code at Arturia, versus the older stuff which was mainly coded by the guy at Xils Lab. The Phase distortion synth for example was coded by Oli Larkin as an external contractor. I don't see how synths coded by different people can have the same sound.
I just got the CZ emulation, so I can’t speak to that one, but what I’m talking about is easy enough to hear. Obsession, to me, sounds like what an analog filter sounds like. I can’t speak to that specific one, but in general. OB-Xa V... there’s something else going on. Not necessarily worse, but not as natural sounding. You don’t even have to listen to it compared to Obsession. Just find that a/b comparison file that Arturia posted on their own site.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”