New Reliable MacBookPro for music production

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which 15" or larger MacBooks with thunderbolt 3 ports are reliable ?

I heared there are models with bottlenecking, overheating, and failing keyboards, I want to stay away from those problematic ones
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

anyone ?

Well, my 2018 15” did not exhibit anything I could correlate with that.
I’m about to buy the 2019 16”, even.

16" mbp is the one to get, it fixes both the keyboard issue and also cpu throttling

“I want to stay away from those problematic ones“
Well, not sure you can, because if this is more a bad batch situation you identify the issues and return the thing. I tend to think the whole line can’t be that problematic.

I got one of the 2010 batch which had a bad connection to the video card, off of craigslist in 2017. It was a brand new computer, I should’ve found that suspicious.

I'm using the 16" one now. My audio interface is actually a Thunderbolt 3 device. def not a bottleneck, it's performed brilliantly so far.

I just bought a 16" about two months ago. typing on it now. I love it, it runs way way better than the old hackintosh did, but that was still on Mavericks. I've had no issue so far.

The new MacBook Air models have throttling issues, but it should go without saying that MacBooks Air are not intended for serious workloads. All the MacBooks Pro are fine; I have a 13 (personal) and a 16 (work), I push both of them harder than most will (compiling software etc.) and I have had zero issues.

The new keyboards are great; Apple have gone back to a normal scissor mechanism.

I almost typed that, the keyboard is a nice feel, best I've had to type on really ever.

Aggregate Device (and Multi-output) may be botched, or it just won't deal with my audio interface.
So going back and forth between Cubase and movies or youtube has to be two different configs.

I wouldn’t get MacBook Air, Most importantly due to small screen size and my bad eyesight.

Do MacBook pros have throttling issues or loud fan noise or overheating ? Because I heared from multiple producers about their MacBooks getting really hot and fan getting too noisy

I have been using Apple for the last 8 years, my previous MBP Cost AUD$4000 it had an i7 processor, 500gb SSD, 8GB Ram and it’s wasn’t the best at handling even medium sized ableton projects.

So I went and built a PC for AUD$2600
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB
Corsair survivor 16GB Ram

It literally doesn’t blink at any of them projects and you can control the fan speeds or even get water cooling for more silent operation, I went with fans and it’s not noisy....for a litter more work and way less the cost of a MBP this is another option if portability is not an issue.

I honestly couldn’t see myself going back from Apple as I loved their usability but honestly it’s not a lot different using windows.

You can also get custom built Laptops that will have much higher specs than a MPB if you compare the costs !

PS yeah the fan does get noisy on a MacBook with CPU heavy tasks because there’s not much ventilation.

Good luck!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”