IK Multimedia & Joe Satriani want to hear from you!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, ol' Davey didn't need the money from that guitar auction so I don't know how much influence this side income would be but I'm always on board with both Gilmour and EVH as I feel they are influential players with sought-after tone which makes for a great AmpliTube collection :)

Oh, and you can get AmpliTube Joe Satriani now. If you pre-ordered you'll get an email if you haven't already. The "grand opening" will be next week but since the Mac/PC version was ready to go and we can release that without a third-party review system unlike the iOS version (though of course there was plenty of artist and internal review which was a long journey as we all know!) we opened it up today. Thank you for your patience.

and you can get Metal for free if you subscribe to newsletter. lots of effects in that one.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:32 am and you can get Metal for free if you subscribe to newsletter. lots of effects in that one.
The Satch Overdrive is a major improvement over the Overdrive stompbox in AT Metal. But it sounds like the Satch Distortion is identical to the Distortion stomp in AT Metal. :?

Stringzy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:59 am Joe has 80's MIJ Boss DD-2 and CE-2 in his closet, why not those? far more interesting than your tired DS-1. meh.
Kinda have to agree, considering the Satch DS-1 is just a reskin so similar to the Metal Distortion.
A CE-2 would be BOSS. :lol:
Last edited by jamcat on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I'm looking forward to checking this out today. I pre-ordered in January, not so much a Satriani fan, but it offered an updated 5150, a Tube Driver, and a Rockman.

A couple requests for IKM would be to let me delete the oldest amps out of Amplitube, pretty much everything that has the multi-part look like in Amplitube Metal and all the stuff that was there when I first got Amplitube 3 in 2010 (and I think some of those were leftovers from A2?).

A Matchless DC-30 and an updated AC-30 would be excellent as well. The Brian May AC sounds nice for dirty, but I'd like one with some controls. The DC-30 is top on my list though.

jamcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 am The Satch Overdrive is a major improvement over the Overdrive stompbox in AT Metal. But it sounds like the Satch Distortion is identical to the Distortion stomp in AT Metal. :?
The AT collections are IK's way of remodelling existing amps. Dimebag Darrell is the new Roland JC-120. Brian May is the new AC30. Satriani is the new 5150.

UA uses mkII, IK introduces new collections. I'd say the before and after turning point was probably Mesa.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

The new models are not a re-skin :) We make sure to model the artists gear and model it in a way that sounds accurate enough to get approval from even the most particular artists. I'm sure you all know, to guitar players tone is key and even subtle nuances can make the difference.

For those pedal junkies out there, the new DS-1 is actually a model of Joe's pedal. For those who nerd out on this stuff, he has one of the old school Japanese models that are harder to find now-a-days. This also uses the latest modelling technology, which just makes it that much better. For those who aren't familiar, for backward compatibility, some of the modules in AmpliTube 4 started in AmpliTube 2. They still sound great do not get me wrong, but the new technology is really something else. Sorry I know I am a little biased, but it really makes that difference for me and I've seen it turn people’s heads who previously may not have loved the concept of amp sims.

One other great story (Sorry for ranting), when we did the AmpliTube "Dimebag" Darrell collection, there was no other way to get approval than to use the actual gear from the studio. The gear from the Dime Estate made that subtle difference that just made "that sound". In particular, the Double/Flanger pedal. For some reason Dime's pedal just does not sound like any others out there and it showed during the approval process. Okay rant over! Thanks for those who stuck with me. :hyper:
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

This also uses the latest modelling technology, which just makes it that much better.
This is a magnificently vague claim.

Better in what specific way, compared to what? And in what scope is it considered a recent development - academia? Commercial developers? Or just within IK?

imrae wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:42 pm
This also uses the latest modelling technology, which just makes it that much better.
This is a magnificently vague claim.

Better in what specific way, compared to what? And in what scope is it considered a recent development - academia? Commercial developers? Or just within IK?
Sorry if I was vague in anyway. While in that line, I was stating an opinion and technically "better" is not exactly a scientific term :p if you look into it you'll see we've been improving and updating our software to stay on top of the ever-changing world of technology. The most recently technology in AmpliTube 4 is referred to as "DSM™ (Dynamic Saturation Modeling)" and you can read more here. All of the gear from this collection was also put through the tests with Joe himself suggesting improvements on making a better, or rather, a more accurate representation of his tone. I hope that helps clarify what I meant :) I always suggest doing a demo/trial of gear to see if it fits your specific needs before buying.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Ryan_IK wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:28 pm The new models are not a re-skin :)
Hey Ryan! I did a null test on the Satch Dist vs. the AT Metal Distortion DS-1 pedals, and they did NOT cancel, so, yes, they are indeed different. So I am retracting my earlier statement.

You are correct - the Satch Dist is NOT a reskin. However, the two pedals do sound identical to the ear. I suppose that is a testament to the accuracy of the original DS-1 model in AT Metal.

I am a bit confused about the Satch Green cab, though. It did not introduce a new Greenback model to the collection, even though the IK Marketing really emphasizes the 20-watt Greenbacks in Joe's rig. I know the Greenbacks in AmpliTube are 25-watters, as all but the oldest, rarest, most sought-after vintage Greenbacks (and the Heritage reissues of them) are.

So, why isn't there a new 20-watt Greenback speaker model available in the 12" speaker section?
Being Joe's actual 20-watt Greenback, it is a different speaker than the existing 25-watt Brit Green model, but we can't use Joe's 20-watters in other cabs?

There are 6 different Vintage 30 speaker models in AmpliTube, so why not 20 and 25-watt Greenbacks?

This delivers a dazzling amount of great sounding potential rigs in just this package alone!

I am loving the Boston Rockman sounds, Ultimate Octave, Tube Driver, and great sounding Marshall sims in this.

There is obvious attention to tone and FX detail in Joe's signature/song presets, and the additional FX are great.

I have never underestimated IK and the Amplitube series, and this is just another reason why - it was worth the extra wait for this.

I will say that I had hoped for some IPS33B/H3000 replication in here, but sadly no harmony presets or FX models here.

ShawnMH wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 pm This delivers a dazzling amount of great sounding potential rigs in just this package alone!
The Marshall JVM 410H series CRUNCH channel topology gives you a JMP 2203 in Green mode, JCM 800 in Orange mode, and a hot-rodded JCM 800 in Red mode. The Satriani version replaces the standard JVM 410H CLEAN channel with the 30th Anniversary 6100 CLEAN channel.

So right there, it's like 4 highly desirable Marshall amps in one.

Try the Satch Overdrive going into the Satch VM CRUNCH Green channel. It's instant NWOBHM.
The secret to classic early '80s metal tone was to push a JMP Master Volume over the top with an overdrive pedal, usually MXR Distortion+ (e.g., Randy Rhoads) or BOSS OD-1.

AT Satch seems to nail it.

ShawnMH wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 pm This delivers a dazzling amount of great sounding potential rigs in just this package alone!

I am loving the Boston Rockman sounds, Ultimate Octave, Tube Driver, and great sounding Marshall sims in this.

There is obvious attention to tone and FX detail in Joe's signature/song presets, and the additional FX are great.

I have never underestimated IK and the Amplitube series, and this is just another reason why - it was worth the extra wait for this.

I will say that I had hoped for some IPS33B/H3000 replication in here, but sadly no harmony presets or FX models here.
Thank you for the kind words. I also wanted to note that many of the presets were created directly by Joe himself. He handed us a ton of presets while testing and let us share them as part of the collection.

congrats on the release 8)

Ryan_IK wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 pm The most recently technology in AmpliTube 4 is referred to as "DSM™ (Dynamic Saturation Modeling)" and you can read more here.
No, it's "DIM™ (Dynamic Interaction Modeling)":

"For the AmpliTube Joe Satriani, we used our latest Dynamic Interaction Modeling™ to deliver the highest level of ultra-realistic sound when modeling Joe’s gear. The product of 20 years’ experience modeling analog gear, DIM™ models the behavior of EVERY component in the circuit all the way down to its smallest nuance and character."

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/satriani/

DSM is the old modeling that was introduced with AmpliTube 2:

"A new modelling approach (DSM or Dynamic Saturation Modelling) has been developed to more accurately capture the way non-linear systems (such as amps that distort) affect a real-world dynamic signal, and the range of devices being modelled has also been extended. Plug-in formats supported extend to VST, Audio Units and Digidesign's RTAS, at sample rates up to 192kHz, and Amplitube 2 requires Mac OS 10.3 or later or Windows XP."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik ... mplitube-2

The DSM page says:
"The DSM™ working principle is based on a new approach never applied to DSP 'analog modeling' until now. Analog circuits, especially Tube and Class-A discrete ones, are not dynamically-linear, but have been modeled this way by today's technology."

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tech-info/dsm.php

That may have been true in 2004, but it is certainly not true today.

jamcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:01 pm No, it's "DIM™ (Dynamic Interaction Modeling)":
Correct! My apologies, but this does help point out how we are constantly updating and improving as we can. Thank you for pointing this out :D

Return to “Effects”