Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

Stormchild

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:42 pm John Doe: Hey, I'd love to have an OB-Xa emulation

Dev: Okay, here you go.

John Doe: Cool. Now, could you add....

Dev: (scratching head) I thought you wanted an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: I do, but I just want you to add...

Dev: (A Bit Annoyed Now) Yeah, but that's not an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: But that's what I want.

Dev: (Throwing Toys Out Window) I'm going back to making door knobs.
What synth emulation doesn't add features or deviate from the workflow? There are exactly zero that I know of.

They're ALL doing things like adding polyphony, effects, a mod matrix, velocity, MPE, tweaks panels, eliminating noise, adding a sequencer, etc.

So this whole idea that customers want exacting emulations in the first place is a bit of a straw man argument. Customers want the sound of classic synths, in a feature set that at minimum matches the hardware but expands on it. It's up to the developer to understand how best to expand on it, and implement which additional features and how.

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:57 pm

you could always use your ears, it's a novel approach, but i find it works a treat
some have claimed in this thread that ears are irrelevant...

anyhoo, nowt wrong in asking nicely for stuff from the dev - if it makes practical sense or not he'll decide.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:20 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:42 pm John Doe: Hey, I'd love to have an OB-Xa emulation

Dev: Okay, here you go.

John Doe: Cool. Now, could you add....

Dev: (scratching head) I thought you wanted an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: I do, but I just want you to add...

Dev: (A Bit Annoyed Now) Yeah, but that's not an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: But that's what I want.

Dev: (Throwing Toys Out Window) I'm going back to making door knobs.
What synth emulation doesn't add features or deviate from the workflow? There are exactly zero that I know of.

They're ALL doing things like adding polyphony, effects, a mod matrix, velocity, MPE, tweaks panels, eliminating noise, adding a sequencer, etc.

So this whole idea that customers want exacting emulations in the first place is a bit of a straw man argument. Customers want the sound of classic synths, in a feature set that at minimum matches the hardware but expands on it. It's up to the developer to understand how best to expand on it, and implement which additional features and how.
Then let's stop saying we want a (fill in synth name) emulation because nobody really wants that.

Don`t understand either. What is wrong with wanting an emulation with extended features when this is one obvious option of recreating it in software? Those who want to stay true to the restrictions can just avoid using them. Or is that the problem? “Plz, don’t make extended features, I get so tempted to use them and lose sense of authenticity.” :P

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:42 pm Don`t understand either. What is wrong with wanting an emulation with extended features when this is one obvious option of recreating it in software? Those who want to stay true to the restrictions can just avoid using them. Or is that the problem? “Plz, don’t make extended features, I get so tempted to use them and lose sense of authenticity.” :P
agree
and my request is a sub OSC (like sequential did on the OB-6)

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 pm
Then let's stop saying we want a (fill in synth name) emulation because nobody really wants that.
It's not either or. RePro-1/5 are pretty damn exacting emulations but they each add additional features. Every emulation I know of adds features. You can do both simultaneously: create an emulation of a classic synth while simultaneously expanding the feature set. That's all we're talking about.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:43 pm
It's not either or. RePro-1/5 are pretty damn exacting emulations but they each add additional features. Every emulation I know of adds features. You can do both simultaneously: create an emulation of a classic synth while simultaneously expanding the feature set. That's all we're talking about.
Which doesn't make it an exact emulation.

Look, I'm waiting for SOMEBODY to make a CS-80 that deserves to be more than spit at. But PLEASE don't add anything to this beast. It has enough stuff crammed into it already.

So we'll just agree to disagree.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:42 pm Dev: (Throwing Toys Out Window) I'm going back to making door knobs.
I won't buy the doorknob unless it is a continuous rotary encoder without stepping. :x

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:51 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:43 pm
Which doesn't make it an exact emulation.

Look, I'm waiting for SOMEBODY to make a CS-80 that deserves to be more than spit at. But PLEASE don't add anything to this beast. It has enough stuff crammed into it already.

So we'll just agree to disagree.
The only one talking about an exact emulation with no extra features is you! You made that up as a thing people want to make a contrarian argument. There is not a single VSTi emulation of hardware in existence that I can think of that meets this imaginary criteria of yours. No one wants that. Not even you. Nothing to disagree about at all.

The fact that VSTi's allow you to save presets and recall in a DAW is already not an "exact emulation." Should developers only allow you to run one instance per license and break recall functionality just to make it more exact like the hardware? Would that be an accurate emulation for you? No! That would be completely silly. Do these emulations include additional effects that were not part of the original units? Yes! Do many add features like polyphony? Yes! Do many add Mod Matrixes, sequencers, expanded modulation options? Yes! Can you still do all of those things in a way that includes the original features and still makes it an accurate emulation of the hardware? Yes! Because users can ignore the added features and stick to only those the hardware had.

So just saying "well then it's not exact and some people will not be happy because it's not exact" is just arguing for the sake of arguing. No product meets that criteria. No one is really saying that. Sorry.

revvy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:28 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:57 pm

you could always use your ears, it's a novel approach, but i find it works a treat
some have claimed in this thread that ears are irrelevant...
indeed, for certain tasks they are.... for creating sounds tho, of the utmost importance
revvy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:28 pm anyhoo, nowt wrong in asking nicely for stuff from the dev - if it makes practical sense or not he'll decide.
nothing wrong at all, and I'd be very surprised if one or more were not taken on board.... but I doubt everyone will be pleased, such is life

The way I see it is this...

a dev wants to make an accurate clone of a famous synth
he does this, but realises users will want some modern touches (polyphony, mods, Fx etc)
he adds stuff he considers complimentary

on release, the dev is inundated with FRs, and now he faces a dilemma.... add them and stray too far from the original, or leave them out.

in the case of SA, if you want bells and whistles e, get Dune 3, if you want an accurate emulation with some bonus features, get Obsession

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:15 pm The way I see it is this...

a dev wants to make an accurate clone of a famous synth
he does this, but realises users will want some modern touches (polyphony, mods, Fx etc)
he adds stuff he considers complimentary

on release, the dev is inundated with FRs, and now he faces a dilemma.... add them and stray too far from the original, or leave them out.

in the case of SA, if you want bells and whistles e, get Dune 3, if you want an accurate emulation with some bonus features, get Obsession
It's definitely a balancing act and there's some art to what to include and what not to when it comes to extra features. There's no right answer. Just different compromises and limitations. U-he and Arturia both have a good balance of old and new, Rich did pretty well but could've been a tiny bit less conservative IMO. Obsession is already in the ballpark as far as I'm concerned but could've been improved by adding a few LFO shapes and tempo sync, or using trimmers for velocity to save mod slots. Nothing crazy.

Obsession already got a decent amount of additional features, while staying very close to the original hardware (I personally would like very few more, and I'm sure some will be added down the road, but it's fine with me if it stays like this). For more features, just look elsewhere. DUNE 3 would be a very good option, for instance. But Obsession is already a fine instrument.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Just adding 6 slots of modulation matrix with tons of parameters, velocity, AT, etc., is way beyond an OB-Xa. The OB-Xa is emulated very closely just in the front side of the plugin.

Return to “Instruments”