Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

Dunno about Cubase but i love the implementation in S1

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 am Now I don't use Melodyne much, but based on the the videos I've seen it looks like the Melodyne implementation in Cubase is better thought out than in Studio One. Is that right, or am I completely wrong? Or is it a matter of taste?
No, not at all. The implementation in Cubase isn't as elegant and capable as it's in Studio One. Cubase can't even use Melodyne for stretching atm, it's purely usable for pitch corrections (including small stretchings of blobs). The extensions concept is cumbersome. The integration in Studio One seems seamlessly.
One should be aware of that ARA (the integration interface) was developed by Presonus, so it should have the best integration.

tedannemann wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:18 am
starflakeprj wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 am Now I don't use Melodyne much, but based on the the videos I've seen it looks like the Melodyne implementation in Cubase is better thought out than in Studio One. Is that right, or am I completely wrong? Or is it a matter of taste?
No, not at all. The implementation in Cubase isn't as elegant and capable as it's in Studio One. Cubase can't even use Melodyne for stretching atm, it's purely usable for pitch corrections (including small stretchings of blobs). The extensions concept is cumbersome. The integration in Studio One seems seamlessly.
One should be aware of that ARA (the integration interface) was developed by Presonus, so it should have the best integration.
Then they did a very great job showing off the implementation in the promotional videos for Cubase and Melodyne.

I really need to use Melodyne more, bought it in one of the Call to Arms auctions, and I have been thinking of upgrading to v5. Maybe that could give me a reason to spend more time with it :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:39 am Personally I hope they don’t add clip and loop launchers etc. I already moved from Cubase as it was just too cluttered and confusing, I liked the simplicity and focus of Studio One.
This.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:11 am
SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:39 am Personally I hope they don’t add clip and loop launchers etc. I already moved from Cubase as it was just too cluttered and confusing, I liked the simplicity and focus of Studio One.
This.
I prefer them adding in all the tools that can be used for any genre, and leaving it up to the users to decide whether or not to use them. So hopefully it doesn't mess up the existing linear layout by bolting on a new feature, and it just becomes an extension for looping, sequencing and clip launching. Like the existing chord track and pattern mode additions...
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

Yeh, I am just being selfish as I already own Live with a Launchpad Pro and Bigwig so have the loop and experimental stuff covered. If they add stuff I don't need I dint have to upgrade! I can totally understand why they would add clip based production (an a hardware launcher) as its perhaps an untapped market for Presonus....and who knows, maybe they will do it better than everyone else. If it had the best time stretching algorithms, key detection/transpose etc (maybe derived from melodyne integration) it could be a winner, but personally I would still miss the 'racks' workflow and S1 is still at its heart a traditional mixer/linear DAW paradigm.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

This.
This x2.

It's why I chose Studio One. I don't need a new Ableton, I don't need a new Bitwig.

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm ...and S1 is still at its heart a traditional mixer/linear DAW paradigm.
...and should stay like this...

If I look at all the different implementations where traditional DAW´s tried to copy Abletons Session View this was mostly a cheap imitation...

Is there any "clone" out there being really useful??

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm Yeh, I am just being selfish as I already own Live with a Launchpad Pro and Bigwig so have the loop and experimental stuff covered. If they add stuff I don't need I dint have to upgrade! I can totally understand why they would add clip based production (an a hardware launcher) as its perhaps an untapped market for Presonus....and who knows, maybe they will do it better than everyone else. If it had the best time stretching algorithms, key detection/transpose etc (maybe derived from melodyne integration) it could be a winner, but personally I would still miss the 'racks' workflow and S1 is still at its heart a traditional mixer/linear DAW paradigm.
Be honest here do you really use the session view inside of Ableton more than the arranger? A clip launch will depend on how it's integrated. Presonus Software do a good job with balancing the creative side with the technical side. If it's feature you don't want then don't use it. Presonus has to grow so you will have to get use to them adding features for various customers.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:14 pm
This.
This x2.

It's why I chose Studio One. I don't need a new Ableton, I don't need a new Bitwig.
It isn't Ableton. This is where the market it is at right now.

wuworld wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:33 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm Yeh, I am just being selfish as I already own Live with a Launchpad Pro and Bigwig so have the loop and experimental stuff covered. If they add stuff I don't need I dint have to upgrade! I can totally understand why they would add clip based production (an a hardware launcher) as its perhaps an untapped market for Presonus....and who knows, maybe they will do it better than everyone else. If it had the best time stretching algorithms, key detection/transpose etc (maybe derived from melodyne integration) it could be a winner, but personally I would still miss the 'racks' workflow and S1 is still at its heart a traditional mixer/linear DAW paradigm.
Be honest here do you really use the session view inside of Ableton more than the arranger? A clip launch will depend on how it's integrated. Presonus Software do a good job with balancing the creative side with the technical side. If it's feature you don't want then don't use it. Presonus has to grow so you will have to get use to them adding features for various customers.
Personally I mainly use the session view in Live with a launchpad Pro MK3 as an instrument, I very rarely use the arranger other than to record what I am playing and maybe tidy up a bit.

I use Bitwig now for pretty much everything I used to use Live for (electronic/experimental/sound design). I use Studio One most as I mainly record with live guitars/bass/drums/vox....I would never use Live or Bitwig for this, but In will us them to make sounds/loops/backing for tracks that I eventfully mix in Studio one.

I don't use half of what is in Studio One including the built in instruments or fx or the pattern editor etc, I use it for recording audio mainly, love the comping and Melodyne integration and being able to master. I realise they will keep adding stuff, I just hope they don't make a bug ridden dogs dinner of it like Cubase did...to many menus, pop ups, tracks types, windows (the pop up windows drove me crazy, at lest S1 doesn't suffer from this!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I dread new versions. I'm sure, regardless of its content, I will put off getting it for a while -- my experience getting new versions of S1 is always 1) sudden, terrible CPU performance that had previously been resolved in updates of the previous versions, only to come blazing back fresh in the new upgrade (on Mac, anyway) and 2) 'amazing' new features that are maybe kinda cool but usually not all that exciting -- with the exception of the Patterns + Step Sequencer, which I absolutely love, but even that took them until 4.5 to really get it 'right'. As currently implemented, it's fantastic, sure; but it makes me think the cycle here will be V5 release) new thing that is kinda broken and janky as hell, V5.5 ah ok now it's corrected and usable, fun.

re: the dude in here who keeps asserting that 'nobody really uses session view in Live much', please stop spouting your vague conclusions as if they were some kind of scientific fact. I don't care what patterns you noticed in the handful of youtube videos you've seen on the subject. 80% of my music career has been based around writing songs in Ableton's Session View. They always eventually end up getting arranged, of course, because they have to. The point is to use both Session + Arrangement together, or use Session alone for playing live. For me, it's the most useful compositional tool I've encountered in 20+ years of electronic music composition. So cut out this "be honest, do you really use it?" crap, you didn't poll 50,000 ableton users, you have no clue what you are talking about.

May be resize some plugins, i have a laptop and is very hard cant change the size of some plugins

Wow this is quite something. I am about to buy Presonus hardware that comes with Studio One Artist, maybe I should wait for another week? 😃

I think it would be wise to wait a few days! :tu:
There will no doubt be more videos and clues as we count down....but at least it’s a short wait!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”