Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

tony10000 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 am
layzer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 am there hasnt been a "big thing" in electronic music since
FM synthesis. :roll:
Unify is a game changer!
yeah, it changes your music production game into a more complicated one.
i can already layer synths to make every sound imaginable in my daw.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:53 pm
tony10000 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 am
layzer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 am there hasnt been a "big thing" in electronic music since
FM synthesis. :roll:
Unify is a game changer!
yeah, it changes your music production game into a more complicated one.
i can already layer synths to make every sound imaginable in my daw.
As can I. However, it certainly makes everything much easier if you work in multiple DAWS as I do. In addition, it is a great instrument in itself with a great and growing library. That is a big part of why it was developed.

Feature request : Allow MIDI Effects to have other MIDI Effects as a Source

Not needed now as was pointed out to me that if you add multiple MIDI effects within the same layer then the routing from one to another works fine.

I can work around this by using the calling MIDI effect in the main Unify instance and have the receiving MIDI effect in the MIDI layer of a child Unify instance as an instrument, but it'd be a lot less hassle to be able to do it all in one Unify instance.

What I was working on (which works fine via the work around) is a MIDI effect listening on MIDI channel 1 (which my main keyboard uses) that changes scale (midiScaleChanger) and sends the result on MIDI Channel 9, then the 'listening' MIDI effect contains ChordPotion and then sends to instruments I've set up to receive on MIDI Channel 2,3,4 and 5.
And those instruments are all Unify instances with their own MIDI scale changers.

Gets a bit Inception like without the ability to set up the MIDI routing in one Unify instance.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Just checked in to say the 1.1.7 update (Ilio) went smoothly - thanks to the devs, encouraging to see this aspect moving forward.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:06 pm Feature request : Allow MIDI Effects to have other MIDI Effects as a Source

I can work around this by using the calling MIDI effect in the main Unify instance and have the receiving MIDI effect in the MIDI layer of a child Unify instance as an instrument, but it'd be a lot less hassle to be able to do it all in one Unify instance.

What I was working on (which works fine via the work around) is a MIDI effect listening on MIDI channel 1 (which my main keyboard uses) that changes scale (midiScaleChanger) and sends the result on MIDI Channel 9, then the 'listening' MIDI effect contains ChordPotion and then sends to instruments I've set up to receive on MIDI Channel 2,3,4 and 5.
And those instruments are all Unify instances with their own MIDI scale changers.

Gets a bit Inception like without the ability to set up the MIDI routing in one Unify instance.
You can already have midi effect chains within midi layers.

You can also load the free Kushview Element as a midi effect to contain other midi effects if you need to do some crazy midi splitting and routing stuff in an easy-to-visualize way.

DrMEM wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:58 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:06 pm Feature request : Allow MIDI Effects to have other MIDI Effects as a Source

You can already have midi effect chains within midi layers.

You can also load the free Kushview Element as a midi effect to contain other midi effects if you need to do some crazy midi splitting and routing stuff in an easy-to-visualize way.
Wasn't working for me when I tried it. The order I put things in made no difference, it didn't seem to take the output of one item and push it into the next, instead all seemed to fire off at once.
Not heard of Kushview Element, I'll check it out.

Edit: I take that back I realise now what I was doing was adding a new MIDI layer each time when I should have been adding more MIDI effects within the same layer, then the chaining order works as intended.

Cheers, can keep everything within one Unify session now! :tu:
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Are you safe?

tony10000 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm In addition, it is a great instrument in itself with a great and growing library.
its a host, not an instrument

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm
tony10000 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm In addition, it is a great instrument in itself with a great and growing library.
its a host, not an instrument
Dat Sine Wave though

Are you safe?

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm its a host, not an instrument
I'm curious why you say that. Perhaps we're not doing a good enough job of explaining what Unify is.

Unify is indeed a plug-in host, and its hosting abilities are the basis of its layering and MIDI/audio routing functions, but it has been developed primarily as an instrument. That's why it includes a sampler and a handful of synth engines, 2.5 GB of samples, and about 500 patches you can play immediately after installing. As with other software instruments, add-on patch/sample libraries are also available, some for purchase, some free.

Compare with, say, Blue Cat's Patchwork, which is a pure host (and a very good one). Offers flexible routing and some nice built-in effects, but no sampler, no samples, no synth engines, no presets (no point), no add-on libraries. Definitely "not an instrument".

As a hybrid plug-in/host, Unify is an unusual and complex beast, so it's difficult to describe in a few words. I'm happy to answer any questions about it here.

For me, people who think Unify is only a host, or a duplicate of what they can do in their current DAW, should at least watch one of the videos explaining the MIDIbox and PolyBox functions. IMO, they are unique, and real game changing aspects of Unify. And then the next time you turn around Unify can do something else new, exciting, and honestly a little mind-blowing!

I'm sure I lack the sophistication of many others here especially in MIDI routing fun & games, but I believe Unify is a wonderful unique beast that must be understood before any thoughts of simple dismissal as a flavor of the week - Unify is a new way to do things, and a new way to achieve new sounds I don't believe any other device can create.

And the icing on the cake is Shane Dunne's amazingly tight, efficient, and constantly improving coding! Add Skippy John's inventive patches and further expanding insight into creating new ways to make new sounds, and you have one impressive new sonic tool!

I think you could twist what people don't like about Unify to be the thing others like the most. Some people say that you already have the ability to do what Unify does in your current DAW, but what I find the most interesting, that if you put in the time to learn Unify, it could become a more streamlined process with an ability to go really deep and layer things like you couldn't before. In a certain way, unifying everything, just as the name implies.
Take care :wink:

getdunne wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 pm a handful of synth engines
such as?

right, so its a host, that comes with "built in" instruments from 20 years ago.

cool

For me it's a powerful workflow tool, especially when combined with things like Kushview Element.

Return to “Instruments”