bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks. :tu: Always interesting to know how the soft synth compare to the "real deal". Even though it's not quite the same synth, of course.

I also have it and I agree with Bones: it sounds phenomenal, and for its price when on sale, it’s a no-brainer deal.

I’m not a big Brainworx fan, but they nailed this one.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 am I do have an OB-6 desktop. Oberhausen is closer to the OB-6 than Obsession.
that shouldn't be a surprise, the OB6 and OB-Xa use diff filters

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:50 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 am I do have an OB-6 desktop. Oberhausen is closer to the OB-6 than Obsession.
that shouldn't be a surprise, the OB6 and OB-Xa use diff filters
Oh, totally. Just spelling it out here for anyone not already knowing that.
Now that the release bugs have largely been addressed, bx_oberhausen for <$30 is a great deal. It's a ~$100 synth. It's not worth list price, but, PA plugins have insane list prices so the sales seem like better deals.

I had a look, says full price here ($249?)

also, looks like it uses some extra installer manager?

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:02 pm I had a look, says full price here ($249?)

You‘re too late, till 2nd of July you could get it for something like 25 dollars or so. This being pa, I’m pretty sure you will see it frequently in the market place in the next months.

This plugin at $249 must be a joke.

abi wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:37 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:02 pm I had a look, says full price here ($249?)

You‘re too late, till 2nd of July you could get it for something like 25 dollars or so. This being pa, I’m pretty sure you will see it frequently in the market place in the next months.
and the installer thing?

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:02 pm also, looks like it uses some extra installer manager?
The PA installer is probably one of the least offensive managers if you're worried about that. It's not like the IK Multimedia which I hate.

Install the manager, select the devices you want to download from the list and download/install them. That's it. You don't have to install all the devices. You could even uninstall it after with no issues.

You can just download the individual installers if that is preferable...it was for me :)

Since I'm a sucker for deals I picked up Oberhausen for $20 and it's worth every penny of that price. At $249 it would be a joke. But I wonder if people are tearing it to pieces like they are OBsession.

It's buggy on my system that runs tons of other plugins without issue:

Oberhausen 01.png

I've gotten several audio Dropouts in Cakewalk by Bandlab when just switching tabs in Oberhausen.

When selecting "Show in Folder" it opens two instances of Windows Explorer every time in Cakewalk and sometimes in Reaper and Orion.

Select "Author" in the browser, close the GUI, reopen and it goes back to Modes. Pain when you're working with only your own patches.

Select 125% as a the GUI size, open the FX/ARP/Mod tab and it goes back to 100%. No way to display that configuration at anything other than 100% even though there's plenty of screen room. Perhaps it's auto limiting the size but it's not really needed here.

Same with 150%, can't select that at all......and so on.

Those are niggling complaints in a $20 plugin and are things I can certainly work with as they only add a few mouse clicks but from where I stand Oberhausen is a bit wonky. Nice sounding synth but nothing special.

But the real use for Obserhausen for me is layering it with OBsession. The two are sufficiently different in character as to complement each other nicely.

For those who own both give it a try. Layer them up and program complementary patches. I think you'll enjoy the results....... :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Teksonik on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:58 pm and the installer thing?
I didn't need their installation manager. I just used the individual installer.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

ok, might give it a demo later

The only issue I've had is an Orion project I saved last week with bx-oberhausen in it is now busted when I open it. The whole Orion GUI is frozen so when I change a parameter anywhere, the GUI doesn't update to show the new knob position (or whatever). The audio engine still runs but the GUI is frozen, which is not something I have encountered before. But that project had a couple of other VSTi in it, too, and other projects I've saved with bx_oberhausen in them are fine. I've also been running it with the GUI at 75% without any issues. As for layering it with OBsesssion, I think by now you know my policy on layering sounds.

Of course, as I am typing this I have a project loading in the background and it has frozen Orion halfway through, just after loading bx-oberhausen. It's been half loaded and unresponsive for a couple of minutes now so I think it's probably busted. Thank Dog for "Merge" in Orion! Merging the parts back in one at a time has rebuilt the song successfully. But my confidence in bx_oberhausen has taken a bit of a battering. But now it's just kicked in on that song and I am more than happy to put up with it for that awesome sound. Hopefully it will be a little more reliable in Cubase, where it really matters. (I really need to break my Orion habit.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pretty sure the “normal” price is only $249 to make the subscription bundles and endless parade of sales look like an incredible value. There will be many more opportunities to get it for $19, and that’s the right time to buy. At that price is really is a great value. Anything over $100 would be a bit much for a SEM emulation that misses the whole point of having a bunch of independent voice modules by not giving you any control over them. It does sound pretty good though.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”