iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
resistent
KVRian
695 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from Berlin

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've just downloaded the demo. Because I don't buy anything anymore, regardless of the price, what I don't use 100%. Now I remember why I never bought it: the demo is way to restrictive and it's quite CPU intense. Never could justify the original price tag. However I like what I hear and what I can get out of my samples. I rtfm and will play more with it but I assume that I will buy it since it's a good tool and for the price of a pizza a real no brainer. I bought Lion and probably Iris 2. This year is my year of sound expansion for the overall price of a visit of a cinema theater.

What is important for me is that my synths are not overlapping each other and that I'm willing and able to master them fully. I don't use presets or samples from others so this is super important to me and for my artistic expression.
Last edited by resistent on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzz00m
KVRAF
2122 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:10 pm

resistent wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:08 am

What is important for me is that my synths are not overlapping each other and that I'm willing and able to master them fully. I don't use presets or samples from others so this is super important to me and for my artistic expression.
One of the chief complaints with Iris 2 is that beyond the core factory content, it comes with an 11 GB library of expanded sample content that is without factory presets. I guess that "feature" could be pro or con, depending on your viewpoint.

So any presets that you made with those samples would be totally original. Lots of material to work with in various categories like Abstract, Environments, Instruments, Objects, Synthesizers, Toys, and Voice.
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Arturia, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

CrystalWizard
KVRian
1242 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:08 pm

zzz00m wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:10 pm

One of the chief complaints with Iris 2 is that beyond the core factory content, it comes with an 11 GB library of expanded sample content that is without factory presets. I guess that "feature" could be pro or con, depending on your viewpoint.

So any presets that you made with those samples would be totally original. Lots of material to work with in various categories like Abstract, Environments, Instruments, Objects, Synthesizers, Toys, and Voice.
Mixed blessing: if you like to do your own programming than that sample set is a lot of fun (not just in iris2 either). If not than it is a lot of wasted HD space.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:08 pm

CrystalWizard wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Mixed blessing: if you like to do your own programming than that sample set is a lot of fun (not just in iris2 either). If not than it is a lot of wasted HD space.
Optional download. So only wasted HD if you grab it and don't use it...
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Arturia, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

CrystalWizard
KVRian
1242 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Yes, good point.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:49 pm

CrystalWizard wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 pm
Yes, good point.
Agreed! But lots of good material for a starting point!

yegor
KVRer
9 posts since 4 Feb, 2020

Post Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:04 am

So is Iris 2 still a good tool to use even if it won't be updated anymore? You know lots of hardware from 70s-80s wasn't updated but still are a good tool to use... :D

zzz00m
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:45 am

I think the same logic applies. If it was good once and still works, it doesn't suddenly stop working from lack of updates. Still good.

Plus as you get newer and faster computer hardware it probably won't seem as CPU heavy.

From the Iris 2 manual:

"Iris 2 is a powerful, one-of-a-kind tool that pairs high-quality digital signal processing for
resampling, modeling, and effects along with remarkably flexible modulation options,
resulting in a lot of complex math and data streaming that needs to happen quickly This
can tax your computer’s resources substantially".

Return to “Instruments”