All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cptgone wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:35 pm Ordered a no-brand Mod Factory MkII mini-pedal from Amazon for a mere €34,02 (was the last unit though).
Looks like the Mooer of the same name. Amazon lists "Bnineteenteam" as brand.
Offers chorus, flange, trem, phase, vibra, rotary, liquid, autowah, stutt, ring, low bit effects.
One for the synth pedalboard :8
I saw a similar one but the photos were of the Mooer Pedal with the Mooer blanked out. The brand is usually the supplier with these, I think. I usually avoid unless there’s lots of feedback.

The Sonicake Cloud Chorus is now top of my list to get, there’s more options with it than the other mini BBD choruses. Unfortunately my Behringer ADI21 is toast so I’ll need to replace it first. Going with the Palmer Pocket Amp.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Funny, I went shopping for milk but bought brandless mini pedals instead.
- Trelicopter tremolo €10,59
- Ana Delay €19,99
- phaser €9,55
...and I passed up on a €6,49 distortion and a €8,19 chorus. All with free shipping.

Had drop D fuzz sludgefest with my first fuzz yesterday, broke my duck. :tu:
I'm surprised how few components are used to create this, maybe a good first project, might even be cheaper sourcing the parts. Love tinkering.
The-Range-Dallas-Rangemaster-Clone-Kit-DIY-Boost-Pedal-Effect-Project £31.49 Ebay or Web, I should be covered with a Mooer Pure Boost.
https://youtu.be/PLaV9b_VO6U
webmurfer offers professionally hand built pedals for around the price of a kit. :o I'm very pleased with his Green Russian Fuzz. :D
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

A Pure Boost is a lot more flexible than a Rangemaster in many ways. Personally, I'd have both 'cos, for me, I love smashing the front out of an amp with a Rangemaster. Also beware of the vagaries of building germanium based pedals. Unless the components are matched by the kit provider you could end up with a badly biased transistor which could sound like cr&p. Also, particularly if you live somewhere hot, remember that germanium tranny builds can be unstable as the temperature rises.

As for kit cost, source stuff yourself if you have the time. I've just priced up some cheap enclosures and electromechanical parts (switches, jacks, pots, etc.) and it seems that I could put together many boosts, fuzz and drives for less than £15 (more like £20 if I used halfway decent stuff like Rean).

cptgone wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:20 am IIRC Ryan got hooked while on a budget, passing by on more expensive pedals.
OTOH I did a quick google for "best od for synth" and found some people recommending the 250.
I'm under the impression they are rather well liked, overall.
Yngwie loves it, too. I've only ever used real DOD 250's and a General Guitar Gadgets 250 kit. I've never used the YJM308 or any clones. If someone modifies the circuit for lower noise, I would probably like it because the actual fuzzy, buzzy characteristic is indeed pretty cool. Stock, it's by far one of the noisiest distortions I've used.

resynthesis wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 am A Pure Boost is a lot more flexible than a Rangemaster in many ways. Personally, I'd have both 'cos, for me, I love smashing the front out of an amp with a Rangemaster. Also beware of the vagaries of building germanium based pedals. Unless the components are matched by the kit provider you could end up with a badly biased transistor which could sound like cr&p. Also, particularly if you live somewhere hot, remember that germanium tranny builds can be unstable as the temperature rises.

As for kit cost, source stuff yourself if you have the time. I've just priced up some cheap enclosures and electromechanical parts (switches, jacks, pots, etc.) and it seems that I could put together many boosts, fuzz and drives for less than £15 (more like £20 if I used halfway decent stuff like Rean).
I've always assumed that Rangemasters became popular because Clapton, et al, were recording with Tweed Champs, which don't have much treble or gain on their own. Personally, I was not fond of the Rangemasters I've used but maybe they were just poorly made examples.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:11 am
resynthesis wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 am A Pure Boost is a lot more flexible than a Rangemaster in many ways. Personally, I'd have both 'cos, for me, I love smashing the front out of an amp with a Rangemaster. Also beware of the vagaries of building germanium based pedals. Unless the components are matched by the kit provider you could end up with a badly biased transistor which could sound like cr&p. Also, particularly if you live somewhere hot, remember that germanium tranny builds can be unstable as the temperature rises.

I've always assumed that Rangemasters became popular because Clapton, et al, were recording with Tweed Champs, which don't have much treble or gain on their own. Personally, I was not fond of the Rangemasters I've used but maybe they were just poorly made examples.
Interesting. Champs seem to have enough treble to me, but I really kind of have a treble aversion.

Anyway, that's not the reason I found it interesting. The apocryphal story I always heard was that the early bassman copy marshalls were voiced too darkly for guitars and that treble boosters really didn't work well if they were not used to more or less adapt bass amps to guitars. tbh i really don't know how much the first marshalls were copied from bassmans, but my understanding was they were just redesigned to use components that were easier to get in the uk. With that all that said, I have kind of always found bassmans to have a pretty good range on their own.

Paid for a used EHX Memory Man With Hazarai, to upgrade a EHX Memory Boy Deluxe (which I intend to sell).
I got a good price if the unit is still OK, and it will be fun to try the 'hazarai' extra features.
One for the guitar board 8)

cool i love my mm hazarai!
its rev delay is sweeeeeet!

i want the other one eventually, the greenish one, with the extra delay time.

What are your thoughts? Strymon Sunset vs Riverside?

That breaking up amp sound, need it bad?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000061161425.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

resynthesis wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 am As for kit cost, source stuff yourself if you have the time. I've just priced up some cheap enclosures and electromechanical parts (switches, jacks, pots, etc.) and it seems that I could put together many boosts, fuzz and drives for less than £15 (more like £20 if I used halfway decent stuff like Rean).
I recently built a EQD Dunes clone for under £20 (using Tayda stuff mainly), could double that if you went with Neutrik jacks, proper alpha pots etc. But it works fine for my use. Would hate to have to take it apart if a wire came loose though... :) That's the biggie, not so much building the boards as all the additional wiring, especially if you want to build it in a small-ish enclosure. And time as you say, probably took me a couple of months on and off, don't know how these guys on forums show off the pedals (plural) they built over a weekend or something...

My EHX Memory Man With Hazarai arrived in good shape.
If you're anything like me, going for the cheaper EHX Memory Boy Deluxe is a false economy. I esp. enjoyed the looper and reverse echo 8)

Return to “Guitars”