Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:03 am A Cubase Pro upgrade from the former version is 59.99 € regularly. In two years, that would be 120 €. Which is cheaper than Studio One, if they stick to the 2 years upgrade cycle from now on.

IMO, it would make much more sense for them to offer incremental upgrades. A user who upgrades from Studio One 2 gets a LOT more features and content than someone who upgrades from Studio One 3. Especially when they proceed with the 2 years release cycle now, there'll be a lot lower versions, and, it kind of devalues the upgrades from a direct predecessor.
I believe .5 upgrades are $60 while x.0 updates cost more ($100?). So if you bought the update every year before waiting for a discount, you'd pay $160 / 24 months or $80/year. Of course both the Studio One and Cubase updates go on sale, so you could easily reduce that if you're patient.

I agree about the incremental update price. I think Studio One is so "young" that this kind fragmentation wasn't an issue before. Now it's hitting v5 so there's a big difference for someone updating from v1 or v2 vs someone who's already on v4.

I stumble almost daily over it when mixing:
would be super nice if the splitter offers a link chain when on channel split.
Parameters follow each other when moved, pretty helpful i.e. on dual mono comp.

Before I ask "what ya think?", did I miss an already existing feature?
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

And finally a proper metering (peak levels post fader) would be very welcome as well as the possibility to change the pan law (cp. Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools).
Not to forget snap to zero crossings all over Studio One as it's already implemented in SamplerOne (cp. Logic, Cubase).

tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pmAnd finally a proper metering (peak levels post fader) would be very welcome
Right-click on any meter in Console.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pm as well as the possibility to change the pan law (cp. Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools).
This is done using the dual pan plugin

https://pcaudiolabs.com/how-to-use-dual ... tudio-one/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm
tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pmAnd finally a proper metering (peak levels post fader) would be very welcome
Right click isn't proper... The most cumbersome thing I've ever seen in a DAW. Levels are the most important thing in mixing.

SLiC wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 pm
tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pm as well as the possibility to change the pan law (cp. Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools).

The most cumbersome thing to use a plug-in on every channel. This is also not the same especially regarding mono/stereo/bus channel behaviour and using a plug-in on every channel or using buses as workaround is just cumbersome (again).
As mentioned in Logic, Cubase, Reaper or Pro Tools this is done just via a single setting.

tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 pm

The most cumbersome thing to use a plug-in on every channel. This is also not the same especially regarding mono/stereo/bus channel behaviour and using a plug-in on every channel or using buses as workaround is just cumbersome (again).
As mentioned in Logic, Cubase, Reaper or Pro Tools this is done just via a single setting.
Sounds like you should be using Logic, Cubase, Reaper or Pro Tools!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:43 pm
Right click isn't proper... The most cumbersome thing I've ever seen in a DAW. Levels are the most important thing in mixing.
Level matching is more important then if you're mixing in the red, people do that all the time.

I would also disagree and say your ears are the most important thing in mixing.
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

Hey hey it'll be Tuesday soon, and all these disputes / predictions / guesses will be answered

I'm really looking forward to it.

Every S1 update since v1 has been worth having than not.

I never expect the moon so I'm never disappointed :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm Yeh, I am just being selfish as I already own Live with a Launchpad Pro and Bigwig so have the loop and experimental stuff covered. If they add stuff I don't need I dint have to upgrade! I can totally understand why they would add clip based production (an a hardware launcher) as its perhaps an untapped market for Presonus....and who knows, maybe they will do it better than everyone else. If it had the best time stretching algorithms, key detection/transpose etc (maybe derived from melodyne integration) it could be a winner, but personally I would still miss the 'racks' workflow and S1 is still at its heart a traditional mixer/linear DAW paradigm.
My issue is that if they do add it they will do it only halfway like they do with some of their other tools. Since their main focus seems to be more traditional DAW focused.

They need to address other issues that are only half implemented, imo.

The macros system in the Channel Editor is clunky as hell to use. Multi-instruments and Multi-effects needs a better system workflow. It works right now but it could definitely use a revisit. For one most people don't even realize the Channel Editor exists because it can only be accessed in the Console or Track Inspector with a nondescript button. They should take a page from Logic's Smart Controls view and create a dedicated view for it so people can actually use it.

Right now mapping parameters to the macro knobs or buttons is clunky in the Channel Editor. You can only map buttons to on/off parameters in plugins. In Ableton/Bitwig I can map a button to any parameter and assign 127 for on and 0 for off. Internal instruments are easy enough to assign to Macro knobs, but 3rd party VSTs is a chore. Contrast that to Ableton/Logic/Bitwig which makes it super easy to map any plugin parameter to a knob. In S1 it's not as self explanatory as it should be. You have to click the plugin parameter then drag and drop the parameter from the top left section (where it shows what parameters you have selected with the little hand icon) and drag and drop that into the macro view to assign a button.

This is pretty clunky imo. Especially when you need to assign multiple parameters at once to a knob. In Ableton I click map and click on as many parameters as needed. Bitwig is a bit more involved (create a Macro Control modulator, then map the multiple parameters to it. Map that Macro Control to the Page view).

Also S1 doesn't let you manually enter the scaling number by hand for more precision. Also every time you open the scaling graph, it changes value, first -2 to 2, then -50 to 50 then -100 to 100. It should be set in percentages, 0-100% or if bipolar -100% to 100%.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

fuzzlightyear wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm
Level matching is more important then if you're mixing in the red, people do that all the time.

I take it you mean mixing in the red to a analog media?

simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:01 pm

Analog is a given, check out digital headroom...
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

fuzzlightyear wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:44 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:01 pm

Analog is a given, check out digital headroom...
I was under the impression that being in the red digitally (Clipping) is a terrible idea. That’s what was taught during my studio apprenticeship but that was 27 years ago now...

Floating point processing essentially gives you an infinite amount of headroom, as long as the audio stays inside Studio One.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”