Does rendering a digital track in DAW or audio editor depend on the sound card

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chapelle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:35 pm No, no and no.

^ this, for any practical purposes.

The rest of the discussion is about academic edge cases.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Wow, 2 pages for a simple no... Lets go on... No,

better not...

if preferred driver (Asio-wasapi)effect on sound which i hear?
I use wasapi becouse it have OUT to Realphone systemwide, that not provide if i prefen Asio. In the end Same card , difference driver model.
And I don’t understand why Asio cannot provide me with identical outputs like wasapi does.
also asio show not much but bigger buffer size
2wwww.png

1-Install Ocenaudio.
2-Go to preferences.
3-Disable audio.
4-Generate Noise (any frequency).
5-Select any included or installed plugin and apply.
Done.
No soundcard needed...........

The weird thing, though, is the stereo mix that comes out of your speakers during realtime playback and the stereo mix that is rendered to a file during mixdown are not necessarily the same.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 pm The weird thing, though, is the stereo mix that comes out of your speakers during realtime playback and the stereo mix that is rendered to a file during mixdown are not necessarily the same.
Then you're doing something wrong, either in mixdown settings or in how you listen to the render (or both).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jens wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 pm
Yes, I am all ears too... :lol:

The way he says it, it sounds to me as if the signal would somehow miraculously go through the DAC... :hihi: and his subsequent explanation does not really make it much better either... :lol:
Thread necromancy from 2015. :)

But you're right, not directly. It can affect your mix decisions which subsequently affect what a render sounds like (which was more of a philosophical point) but as you say, an audio device has no direct bearing on an offline render. In fact, you can render offline in most if not all workstations even if there is no audio device selected for use at all. It's just pure math.

Why is this still going? Anything other than 3x no can be dragged until infinity with room accoustics, current mood, atmospheric pressure, accumulation of ear wax, etc. :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:46 am
jamcat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 pm The weird thing, though, is the stereo mix that comes out of your speakers during realtime playback and the stereo mix that is rendered to a file during mixdown are not necessarily the same.
Then you're doing something wrong, either in mixdown settings or in how you listen to the render (or both).
Nope. I noticed this in both Studio One and Cubase. I have some examples of a plugin that under certain conditions I have yet to figure out, I get massive phase cancellation in my rendered mixdown, but not during live playback or recording the output in realtime to a new track.

In Cubase I used to constantly get dropouts in my mixdown that weren't present during playback.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:35 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:46 am
Nope. I noticed this in both Studio One and Cubase. I have some examples of a plugin that under certain conditions I have yet to figure out, I get massive phase cancellation in my rendered mixdown, but not during live playback or recording the output in realtime to a new track.

In Cubase I used to constantly get dropouts in my mixdown that weren't present during playback.
Might be a bug on that particular plugin.
Some plugins detect when it's rendering or live playback. When rendering, the quality is better and the plugin will use more CPU. When playing, the quality is lower to reduce CPU usage.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”