Apple Mac computers make jump to its own chips

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You seriously think Ableton aren't capable of making a switch to keep Mac users on board?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am You seriously think Ableton aren't capable of making a switch to keep Mac users on board?
Not in a reasonable timeframe and not without a lot of bugs. They'll definitely get there, eventually.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if that is not the case; I like Ableton and would prefer to keep using it.

Did you had problems with Ableton last time Apple changed architecture?

Apple is all about offering just their universe to everybody - and why I never bought anything Apple as well.
Something fishi about iTunes as I recall, and limited use on one machine on any music you bought until they opened up something encryption locked to a machine.

Mac were Motorola as I recall, until Intel swap. Now they are concerned Intel will lock them in.

IBM PC immediately offered OEM stuff is took 95% of market - that is the universe we live in. Apple got their own universe they try to lock everybody into.

I will never have anything to do with Apple. Something really scary about that company. The amount of software for Mac will be as limited as Linux, pretty much.

The amount of cross platform libraries like JUCE and QT - will API's be the same?

But as Microsoft is screwing everybody on Windows 10 2004 update no wonder if folks look over the fense, I suppose.

Microsoft and Apple are pretty much two heads of same beast, it's like voting for democrats or republicans or whatever thing you have in your country, you aren't picking lesser evil, you are just tricked into thinking you have choice, both companies are there for your data, so if you can use them to make something worthwhile, do what you can, you are either way supporting companies that have same goals.

lfm wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:09 pm But as Microsoft is screwing everybody on Windows 10 2004 update no wonder if folks look over the fense, I suppose.
I have Windows 10 2004 running in my laptop, and so far I didn't notice anything screwed. WTF are you talking about?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 pm
lfm wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:09 pm But as Microsoft is screwing everybody on Windows 10 2004 update no wonder if folks look over the fense, I suppose.
I have Windows 10 2004 running in my laptop, and so far I didn't notice anything screwed. WTF are you talking about?
Here is one example
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... p?t=122230

First Korg had to release a special update to work with 1909, then comes 2004 people start having issues again.

With windows 7 - no issues so far. But I had serious issues with Korg midi driver over the years - so maybe their specialty is not drivers to this race of OS versions on PC and Mac too.

Here is another
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/05/28/windo ... nt-4465941

As with everything it probably depends on what you use computer for.

I think this spring updates are larger like used to be Windows 8.x or 8.1 or similar.

Then check Microsoft forum here
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... lse&page=1

echosystm wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:11 pm
revvy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am You seriously think Ableton aren't capable of making a switch to keep Mac users on board?
Not in a reasonable timeframe and not without a lot of bugs. They'll definitely get there, eventually.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if that is not the case; I like Ableton and would prefer to keep using it.
Yet in the previous post you've already decided to sell Live. Whatever, enjoy!
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

lfm wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:59 am
fmr wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 pm
Here is one example
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... p?t=122230

First Korg had to release a special update to work with 1909, then comes 2004 people start having issues again.

With windows 7 - no issues so far. But I had serious issues with Korg midi driver over the years - so maybe their specialty is not drivers to this race of OS versions on PC and Mac too.

Here is another
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/05/28/windo ... nt-4465941

As with everything it probably depends on what you use computer for.

I think this spring updates are larger like used to be Windows 8.x or 8.1 or similar.

Then check Microsoft forum here
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... lse&page=1
This seemed to affect Macs as well..from the Korg forum;

"Had the same problem with my Mac, had to reinstall
the librarian and get the driver RDNIS on the web and installed it. I had the message ''waiting for device'' Now it works fine."

:)
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

While Windows seems to have less issues compared with Macs when it comes to OS updates, it seems that the later versions of Windows have started on this trend as well.

I wonder how the Apple Silicon Macs will deal with that. As far as I have experienced, apps on iOS is way less unstable with newer updates of the OS. I have an iPad that is bloody ancient and although it's dreadfully slow, it's still usable and I never experience any crashes. It would be cool if the newer Macs will minimize the madness of audio apps stop working whenever a new OS comes out.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 am While Windows seems to have less issues compared with Macs when it comes to OS updates, it seems that the later versions of Windows have started on this trend as well.
This only affects a handful of computers. The vast majority don't experience any issue (as I didn't in my laptop). And that RDIS driver also caused issues in macOS, which seems to mean it isn't very well written to start with. The difference is that in Windows world, Microsoft is the one to be blamed on everything bad that happens, while in Mac world Apple is never responsible - it's always third parties that get the burden.

Anyway, issues usually are fixed pretty fast. Besides, people can wait before jump into an upgrade until it's safe. My main machine also has Windows 10 installed, but in that machine, I got a message that it isn't ready yet. I am in no rush, so I'll waiti until whatever was detected by the updates gets "ready".

These problems usually happen on people who rush, forcing the update. The safer path is usually to keep calm and wait a few months. Remember: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Last edited by fmr on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 amBesides, people can wait before jump into an upgrade until it's safe. My main machine also has Windows 10 installed, but in that machine, I got a message that it isn't ready yet. I am in no rush, so I'll waiti until whatever was detected by the updates gets "ready".

These problems usually happen on people who rush, forcing the update. The safer path is usually to keep calm and wait a few months. Remember: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
This is worth repeating no matter what platform you are on. Rushing into the latest update is always a big risk. I'm always one OSX version behind and I never have any problems with compatibility or instability. But I'm really curious on how the move to Apple processors will affect this on Macs. I'm hoping we will see better stability with less broken applications. We'll see.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 am
fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 amBesides, people can wait before jump into an upgrade until it's safe. My main machine also has Windows 10 installed, but in that machine, I got a message that it isn't ready yet. I am in no rush, so I'll waiti until whatever was detected by the updates gets "ready".

This is worth repeating no matter what platform you are on. Rushing into the latest update is always a big risk. I'm always one OSX version behind and I never have any problems with compatibility or instability. But I'm really curious on how the move to Apple processors will affect this on Macs. I'm hoping we will see better stability with less broken applications. We'll see.

/C
+1

Especially these larger updates - if they are called Creators Update or something.
Remember from 2-3 years ago that Steinberg strongly suggested both a new upcoming update for Mac and Windows 10 too - hold your horses until we verified it's ok with our products.

Looked now out of curiosity - but did not see any news on this 2004.

These larger feature updates can be postponed for a year or so - but then you are forced to install it. Regular updates for a month or so only.

It fools so many to update but it's really what used to be new major or minor windows version - I really wish they would go back to that. it's more obvious that this is big - and both users and vendors are on their toes to look it over. And can stay on what they have unless having issues of some sort.

In system requirements it usually say Windows 10 only - but this could be very different beasts over the years.

fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 am in Mac world Apple is never responsible - it's always third parties that get the burden.
What do you mean?

revvy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 am
fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 am in Mac world Apple is never responsible - it's always third parties that get the burden.
What do you mean?
I mean when it concerns Windows, most users usually blame Microsoft. OTOH, when it concerns macOS, most users usually blame the third party vendors (either hardware or software).
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”