Looking for vst close to logic or bionic tape delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used a copy of logics tape delay, called Bionic Delay for years. Sadly it is 32bit only so im looking for a delay which behaves the same. At first i thought this would be easy..

What i miss are the simplicity and easy of use. But mainly the sound of saturated feedback with the filter

I own NI Replika XT (twice in fact :lol: ) which is amazing and does much more. But on tape mode the saturation is much more subtle.
UAD space echo is similar but mono and limited on delay patterns.

Is there anything else i should try?

Should also say i have D16 sigmund. It does overdriven feedback and has filters yet doesnt sound the same

Try bridging it
https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Maybe try this, it's cheaper than jBridge, but seriously, if you need to pay for that delay more than 15 bucks, than just bridge the one that actually does the job for you.
https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-deelay/

Thats a great idea actually i'll try it 😀

I never thought i would need to find a way to use 32bit plugins. I assumed with all the new delay plugins it would be a common feature/sound

Oh and i will check out hornet too. I do like the look of it already. Small, simple to program and well priced

D16 Repeater
Tritik Delay
Surreal Machines Diffuse
spaceship delay (free)
AudioTHing OuterSpace Delay

Thanks i havent heard of those last 3. Will check 😀

D16 repeater ive just activated the demo. So far i like the interface. Seems much more logical than sigmund, at least for me

You're welcome.
D16 is more limited than some others, but it has a fast workflow : just select the "flavour" you like, and enjoy ;)
Diffuse is great, but has a tiny interface.
OuterSpace is excellent.
SpaceShip doesn't have a fancy GUI, but it sounds good (and it's free).

Valhalla Delay can get so dirty, some presets make me wanna shower.

Audiority's last 2 delay plugins have amazing sounding saturation.

Klevgr's delay Modley you can actually put 4 different effects into the feedback path, post delay path, or input.

D16s Repeater actually is one of my go tos especially for quick saturated delays, infact it is my go to.

Denise Audio's delay Slappy is stupid simple but has a very nice sounding saturation that can be overdriven.

Baby Audio's Comeback Kid...is special.

discogsaddict wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:20 am I own NI Replika XT (twice in fact :lol: ) which is amazing and does much more. But on tape mode the saturation is much more subtle.
Did you put the Saturation to 100% and drive the Input up to 12 dB?

Actually i have to say NI Replika XT does a great job.

I'll admit i was going off memory of Bionic Delay. This morning following advice on here i have managed to bridge bionic delay in 64bit and now im comparing..
Replica XT does in fact get the saturation and filter almost the same. For some reason i remembered Bionic delay being dirtier but now i realise my memory was playing tricks
D16 Repeater i like and find a couple of settings have a similar tone but what i notice is that the filter is more static.
With Bionic delay the filter closes in as the feedback plays. So the first repeat is "full" and as it bounces around the feedback filters off to nothing. Repeater seems to filter the feedback instantly.

Thanks for all these suggestions. Im going to carry on testing as im having fun :) Very interested in Valhalla delay

Hopefully this thread will be useful to others who might stumble on it searching for Bionic delay, as i know it was very popular

discogsaddict wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 am D16 Repeater i like and find a couple of settings have a similar tone but what i notice is that the filter is more static. With Bionic delay the filter closes in as the feedback plays. So the first repeat is "full" and as it bounces around the feedback filters off to nothing. Repeater seems to filter the feedback instantly.
Try the Analog button.

In Repeater, if you're looking for the same kind of fitlering and saturation than Bionic, try the Space echo or the EHX Memory man models. Then, enjoy the others as well ;)

Maybe one of the TAL-Dubs?

PTV wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm Maybe one of the TAL-Dubs?
This ^ tal-dub-2 is a very dirty delay, perfect for, well, dub. :) The commercial tal-dub-x is cheap and apparently sounds even better but don't have it myself.

Return to “Effects”