Grace Design Bix instrument preamplifier

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of purchasing this as a preamp for my audio interface/guitar setup for playing amp sims.

My Audio interface doesn't have a preamp in it and it has line level inputs which require a preamp to boost the guitar signal up.

Would this device work the same as say the Grace m101 or any other mic preamp? It's 299$ compared to 769 for the M101. I'm curious if this is a suitable to use instead of a mic preamp for my guitar. According to the specs its a very clear transparent preamp.

Thanks for any help.

Electric guitars and microphones have different output voltages and impedances. Voltage differences can be catered for with gain, trim knobs & pad switches.

Mikes are medium impedance, guitars (instruments) are high impedance. Usually a transformer is used to get the right impedance. An impedance mismatch can result in less high frequencies and more sensitive to RF interference.

The BiX has an input impedance of 1 to 10 million Ohm. That is perfect for electric guitar!

I see the M101 has a Hi-Z input for guitar on the front. So if you also need to record a mic, the m101 looks more appealing to me. But on the other hand, the BiX has tone controls.

For the money probably you can get a decent mixer, or a really good audio interface with mic & Hi-Z instrument inputs.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”