Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

SLiC wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:43 pm Floating point processing essentially gives you an infinite amount of headroom, as long as the audio stays inside Studio One.
This (as long as you don't include the behaviour of plug-ins on overloaded levels)!

fuzzlightyear wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm
tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:43 pm
antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm
tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pmAnd finally a proper metering (peak levels post fader) would be very welcome
Right-click on any meter in Console.
Right click isn't proper... The most cumbersome thing I've ever seen in a DAW. Levels are the most important thing in mixing.
Level matching is more important then if you're mixing in the red, people do that all the time.

I would also disagree and say your ears are the most important thing in mixing.
I just assume that you've never mixed a full orchestra for film, voice overs or full fledged pop production with way over 100 tracks aiming for specific mediums (streaming, vinyl, tv shows etc.). Good luck with mixing purely by ear in 2020 and right clicking on hundreds of channels…

One day... until the distribution of presents. :P

Only one day to go , even is the update is floating my boat feature wise , I will hold off untill most of the bugs are ironed out
Last year I reported over 20+ bugs , not gonna do that again .
No matter how you look at it , altough studio ONe v5 is a final release candidate , the early adopters are still glorified beta testers .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

yup- 5.1 is the one to go for :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am Only one day to go , even is the update is floating my boat feature wise , I will hold off untill most of the bugs are ironed out
No matter how you look at it , altough studio ONe v5 is a final release candidate , the early adopters are still glorified beta testers .
It's difficult... it's a niche market, and a small developer team, which means that there aren't that many beta testers, and not so many users who could report bugs too.

I found the one or the other dreadful bug in soft synths, which obviously never got reported, and I never read about them here or elsewhere either.

That said, are you on Windows or Mac OS? From what I read, S1 is more unstable on Mac OS.

tedannemann wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 am...and right clicking on hundreds of channels
Err... This is a global setting for all channels that you have to change once :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tedannemann wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 am
fuzzlightyear wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm
tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:43 pm
antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm
tedannemann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pmAnd finally a proper metering (peak levels post fader) would be very welcome
Right-click on any meter in Console.
Right click isn't proper... The most cumbersome thing I've ever seen in a DAW. Levels are the most important thing in mixing.
Level matching is more important then if you're mixing in the red, people do that all the time.

I would also disagree and say your ears are the most important thing in mixing.
I just assume that you've never mixed a full orchestra for film, voice overs or full fledged pop production with way over 100 tracks aiming for specific mediums (streaming, vinyl, tv shows etc.). Good luck with mixing purely by ear in 2020 and right clicking on hundreds of channels…
I don't need luck to mix by ear in 2020, it's called practice, experience and muscle memory.
I also don't need 100 tracks to finish a project and I don't do full orchestra productions for film.

I'm guessing that 99% of the people using Studio One don't either. But, I'm also not opposed to any user requests that improve their workflow, etc...

Here, check out this video, it will explain digital headroom and clipping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-TpPLzRpsU
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am Only one day to go , even is the update is floating my boat feature wise , I will hold off untill most of the bugs are ironed out
As someone who has reported hundreds of bugs to various developers I think the bigger story is rather, “no matter how you look at it, although these tools have tons of powerful features, most users won’t utilize them.”

One vocal teacher I know has Studio One Artist on PC because it came with their interface and they just record their vocal lessons start to finish. How would that person ever notice if using the Tempo Track inside a Scratch Pad had an issue on Mac-only?

The best and most cost-effective way to ensure this stuff works is a public beta like Ableton does, imho. But there are hits to development and you lose the ability to do fun launches like this.

Wonder what the future holds!

oneway wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:27 pm
As someone who has reported hundreds of bugs to various developers I think the bigger story is rather, “no matter how you look at it, although these tools have tons of powerful features, most users won’t utilize them.”

One vocal teacher I know has Studio One Artist on PC because it came with their interface and they just record their vocal lessons start to finish. How would that person ever notice if using the Tempo Track inside a Scratch Pad had an issue on Mac-only?

The best and most cost-effective way to ensure this stuff works is a public beta like Ableton does, imho. But there are hits to development and you lose the ability to do fun launches like this.

I don't know if public betas help either. Most people just want to play around with new features but never actually have any intention of reporting bugs or issues to developers. Personally I think a structured QA framework works best but that takes time and resources to put together.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:33 pm I don't know if public betas help either. Most people just want to play around with new features but never actually have any intention of reporting bugs or issues to developers. Personally I think a structured QA framework works best but that takes time and resources to put together.

The “resources” part is where a lot of devs falter I think. It’s not cheap. One big plugin dev I talked to had a volunteer beta program that worked with their own QA and they cancelled it. I can only assume they weren’t finding enough issues because their flagship plugins were still buggy as hell.

I’m pretty happy with how Presonus has done lately.

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:33 pm

I don't know if public betas help either. Most people just want to play around with new features but never actually have any intention of reporting bugs or issues to developers. Personally I think a structured QA framework works best but that takes time and resources to put together.
It’s not that I don’t like beta- tesring , in fact I love it !
Recently got an invitation to be part of u-he’s beta team , love squashing bugs for renoise, loomer architect etc...
What all of these have in common is a direct correspondence line with the developer instead of jumping throuh multiple hoops/ creating support tickets etc..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:52 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:33 pm

It’s not that I don’t like beta- tesring , in fact I love it !
Recently got an invitation to be part of u-he’s beta team , love squashing bugs for renoise, loomer architect etc...
What all of these have in common is a direct correspondence line with the developer instead of jumping throuh multiple hoops/ creating support tickets etc..
And that's the crux if the issue. Most users do not know how to structure their reports properly in an email message or forum post. Then the developer has to spend more time trying to get the information from the user rather than fixing the issue. So you need a ticketing workflow that allows the developer to get the information they need but at the same time some users see it as a barrier and don't bother reporting. Then you have users who don't know that beta in general means feature complete but buggy, and start bombarding beta forums with feature requests.

Public betas help identify major issues, if you see a lot of posts about the same thing then there is more than likely an issue, but small or less common issues get through all the time because users don't test that specific workflow or scenario. It happens all the time. How many times have you seen an issue that leaves you scratching your head as to how the developers missed that one (the recent Bitwig 3.2 beta is a good example).

A better system needs to be implemented imo. Perhaps provide users with a testing suite or strict testing requirements in-order to be part of the beta.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I guess tomorrow we'll find out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One day guys... just one day...

Sorry, I'm bored. ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”