KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:03 amI am no one to say which is better, but I also like Vacuum Pro and the KNIFONIUM's sound just reminded me of it, mostly because of the "tube" vibe. :tu:
And what, exactly, is a "tube vibe"? Are you really so easily deceived by marketing buzzwords?

Anyway, I need to get better headphones for work because this does actually sound quite good. It's tough, though, because it's a fairly crowded market these days and I don't hear anything that will have me reaching for my credit card.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 am Again, though, I vastly benefitted from it so far, because I could afford plugins I otherwise could never afford. I think it's a win-win. That's my opinion. Sorry in advance for it.
Or maybe you fell for their marketing schemes and bought those plug-ins while you could easily do without them, so it's just a win for them :wink:
More BPM please

The question is why you imply that I don't use those plugins at all. E.g. I use Oberhausen a lot. And just waited for a good price. Which means that the pricing scheme worked perfectly for me.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:34 am The question is why you imply that I don't use those plugins at all. E.g. I use Oberhausen a lot. And just waited for a good price. Which means that the pricing scheme worked perfectly for me.
I quoted you but it was more generally directed. Think we all fell for it sometimes. :wink:
More BPM please

Maybe I "fall for it" as well, but I'm not sure how much it matters really.

I sure as hell can't spend 150€ upwards for a single vintage compressor (for example). Maybe I don't need them and can get a close enough sound with my DAW compressor or a digital one like Pro-C. But it feels different to me, I at least feel that it improves my mixes and I enjoy using them. Also I probably won't be owning any vintage analogue gear anytime soon, so I also enjoy learning about some of those models, even if it's not quite the same. If I am happy and the seller is happy,... it seems like a win-win.

Edit: Also these types of sales don't seem to be hurting the "plugin market" in any way either. My impression is that innovation is still incredibly high and there is a lot of quality out there. Plugins and also a lot of gear becoming more affordable makes everything more accessible (same also in film for example), but that's also a good thing in my book.

If PA was selling so many copies of their plugins at the silly high list prices why would they ever put them on sale ?

For example only people with more dollars than sense would pay $249 for Oberhausen. In that price range or less you're competing with DIVA, OBX-V etc and for less than half the price OBsession.

The marketing ploy of setting silly high prices so people think they are getting a super deal when they drop the prices to where they should have been in the first place obviously works.

It worked on me with bx_Rooms which lists for $199 and I got for $9. It was such a good deal I didn't even bother to demo the plugin which was a mistake because the plugin isn't even worth $9. It's a horrid reverb and I never use it.

I bought Oberhausen for $20 just for something to entertain me for a few day and it's worth every penny of that but I wouldn't have paid more.

So I'll just wait while PA plays their marketing game and sets the list price of Knifonium at $299 and I'll either buy it for $20 or pass altogether.

I imagine another reason they set such silly high list prices is to entice people into their monthly plan. "Oooh look you're getting $2,000 worth of plugins (or whatever it is) for only $25 a month". When in reality all you're really getting a bunch of over priced plugins some of which struggle to compete in an over crowded market.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I agree that $249 is kind of nuts for such a synth. I'm not sure what we're discussing about here though. Most if not all people know how PA runs their pricing schemes.

I also don't pay more than $29 for PA plugins... sometimes less. And with that I'm perfectly content.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm If PA was selling so many copies of their plugins at the silly high list prices why would they ever put them on sale ?

For example only people with more dollars than sense would pay $249 for Oberhausen. In that price range or less you're competing with DIVA, OBX-V etc and for less than half the price OBsession.

The marketing ploy of setting silly high prices so people think they are getting a super deal when they drop the prices to where they should have been in the first place obviously works.

It worked on me with bx_Rooms which lists for $199 and I got for $9. It was such a good deal I didn't even bother to demo the plugin which was a mistake because the plugin isn't even worth $9. It's a horrid reverb and I never use it.

I bought Oberhausen for $20 just for something to entertain me for a few day and it's worth every penny of that but I wouldn't have paid more.

So I'll just wait while PA plays their marketing game and sets the list price of Knifonium at $299 and I'll either buy it for $20 or pass altogether.

I imagine another reason they set such silly high list prices is to entice people into their monthly plan. "Oooh look you're getting $2,000 worth of plugins (or whatever it is) for only $25 a month". When in reality all you're really getting a bunch of over priced plugins some of which struggle to compete in an over crowded market.
Yeah, I imagine all of the above is true. I’m very happy to have bx_oberhausen for $20, but the truth is, I probably would have bought it for $100 when it came out, if that was the intro price. I paid Synapse’s price for Obsession without even demoing it. (I assumed the quality would be high like Legend and I was correct) Maybe they’re getting people to subscribe, but they lost $80 from me, and probably many others.

Here’s what they also miss out on: word of mouth/forum chatter. I’ve been active in the Obsession thread for weeks now. That’s a constant free advertisement for it that shows up in the “Latest Forum Posts” section. When bx_oberhausen was released I gave it a quick demo, looked at the price, posted something along the lines of, “are they crazy?” And moved on, only now to start following the thread again after I snagged it for $20. I didn’t even properly demo it because of that price.

Anyway, if they want me to buy something like this, they have to offer a competitive price to similar plugins. I’d say a fair market price would probably be $99 USD. I’d offer current customers an additional early-bird special of $75. This puts it in line with plugins like Repro and Legend, and could get it the chatter and reverence of a plugin like Repro or Legend. Pricing it crazy high is just going to drive it into a second-tier category. I think it does them a disservice, because if the quality is as high as bx_oberhausen, it does deserve to be spoken of at least as much as Legend is.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:52 pm I agree that $249 is kind of nuts for such a synth. I'm not sure what we're discussing about here though. Most if not all people know how PA runs their pricing schemes.
Right, so it makes sense that we’re all talking about how we’re scratching our heads about why they still do it. It’s like Lucy pulling the football away after convincing Charlie Brown to have a go at kicking it. It’s a funny gag for a child to illustrate how Charlie Brown is always hopeful, despite being always trod upon, but to adults... :dog: At this point, they may as well just put this line of copy in their announcement: “We’re releasing our plugin on __/__/__! We’re very excited about it so we’re going to sell it at a greatly inflated price, hoping those of you with more money than sense buy it, but for the rest of you, the plugin will be released next year when we realize that we’ve been though all those suckers,”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:25 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:52 pm I agree that $249 is kind of nuts for such a synth. I'm not sure what we're discussing about here though. Most if not all people know how PA runs their pricing schemes.
Right, so it makes sense that we’re all talking about how we’re scratching our heads about why they still do it.
Well... you may well do that while PA and others are doing really well with that kind of pricing scheme. :)

How well are you doing with your plugin company?

FOMOOAGD

They want those 15 to 25 dollars per month from you, either per subscription or by selling stuff with vouchers and deep discounts. Stupid as i am, it took me a while to notice that i am not saving hundreds with their vouchers, but that i am actually spending money :roll:

andi75 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm They want those 15 to 25 dollars per month from you, either per subscription or by selling stuff with vouchers and deep discounts.
I see. I spent 24 € with them, one time, for Oberhausen (and have 6 free other plugins in my account). I must be special.

andi75 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm i am not saving hundreds with their vouchers, but that i am actually spending money :roll:
It's like women that save hundreds when they buy shoes at a discount. :D

Return to “Instruments”