One Synth Challenge #137: HY-Poly by HY-Plugins ( Peter:H Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to retrigger the oscillators? I am trying to get a consistent drum sound and so far could not find anything.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Consistent drum sounds are overrated. They are the reason for so much boring music... ; - )

Hi @Eauson ... thanks for posting your presets ... I tried to import them in Reaper, but they don't show up? Any ideas? Presets I save as hypoly's do show up OK. Since you are using Reap, I wonder why I can't get them into the synth?

Scratch that ... of course they only work in this format with the vst3i version! Come in with the name "Preset" so need to be saved ideally ...

dB

@ MalToné, not sure how useful they will be, very simplistic Perc/drum sounds, sad no distortion is available on HY Poly :(

@db
Yes, I don’t really save my presets normally, so just went with the easiest way I know, it’s just quicker for me to access a separate drive
Not sure how useful or how good these presets are, I work very quickly, I’m not one for over complexity in this process ;)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 pm @ MalToné, not sure how useful they will be, very simplistic Perc/drum sounds, sad no distortion is available on HY Poly :(

@db
Yes, I don’t really save my presets normally, so just went with the easiest way I know, it’s just quicker for me to access a separate drive
Not sure how useful or how good these presets are, I work very quickly, I’m not one for over complexity in this process ;)
Could be very useful for me, one who is still getting a handle on synths. I'm not sure I can use the presets though as I'm working in Ableton.

Any quick ideas to make a snare and some toms? Thanks!
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

MalToné wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 pm
Eauson wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 pm @ MalToné, not sure how useful they will be, very simplistic Perc/drum sounds, sad no distortion is available on HY Poly :(

@db
Could be very useful for me, one who is still getting a handle on synths. I'm not sure I can use the presets though as I'm working in Ableton.

Any quick ideas to make a snare and some toms? Thanks!
Ahh, sorry bout that, VST2 plug-in crashed, so I went for the VST3 version
I don’t know if I saved them in HY poly VST3 they would work in VST2 version?
Snare, using the bp filter1 for low end. Set about 250 hz @ noise for band pass filter 2 low resonance for both.
You can use the adsr to move the low end bpfilter. Or there are other adsr In effect section to move either sounds to get a bit of life.
Also longer Release time, one note 16th & another note 128th can add a bit of life.
Hopefully that wasn’t too confusing, as I’m not really good at explaining:D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:55 pm Ahh, sorry bout that, VST2 plug-in crashed, so I went for the VST3 version
I don’t know if I saved them in HY poly VST3 they would work in VST2 version?
Snare, using the bp filter1 for low end. Set about 250 hz @ noise for band pass filter 2 low resonance for both.
You can use the adsr to move the low end bpfilter. Or there are other adsr In effect section to move either sounds to get a bit of life.
Also longer Release time, one note 16th & another note 128th can add a bit of life.
Hopefully that wasn’t too confusing, as I’m not really good at explaining:D
I *think* I'm using the VST3, at least I installed in that folder and it's working.

Your instructions are good, I'll give that a try :tu:

I had not considered stacking notes of different duration, I'll try stacking different velocities too!

OK, now I see, different settings in the different envelopes...

Many Thanks!
Last edited by MalToné on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

:tu:

Kay, so, I have placed the hy poly presets saved in hy poly on my track post, just named patch 1-26, as it was quicker ;)

BlitBit wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am Is it possible to retrigger the oscillators? I am trying to get a consistent drum sound and so far could not find anything.
There's a way to emulate sampling, which I believe formally doesn't break the rules of this competition. At the start of the song you play a single note you want to repeat (a kick drum hit, for example). You bounce the track with this single note to the WAV file and exclude it from the master track. Then you send this WAV to another track with a delay FX with the following parameters: wet = 100%, feedback = 100%, length = 1/16 (depends on the song). And then you add a volume envelope, that makes audible only the notes you need.

By the way, this is why I think the rules are silly.

løkken wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am
BlitBit wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am Is it possible to retrigger the oscillators? I am trying to get a consistent drum sound and so far could not find anything.
There's a way to emulate sampling, which I believe formally doesn't break the rules of this competition. At the start of the song you play a single note you want to repeat (a kick drum hit, for example). You bounce the track with this single note to the WAV file and exclude it from the master track. Then you send this WAV to another track with a delay FX with the following parameters: wet = 100%, feedback = 100%, length = 1/16 (depends on the song). And then you add a volume envelope, that makes audible only the notes you need.

This is not allowed in the spirit or the rules: you are only allowed to bounce full tracks (e.g. freeze). And while using delay is technically allowed, it has been stated multiple times that using any effect to drastically alter the sound is not allowed, and I would proffer that this technique certainly drastically alters the sound of the single sampled bounce by repeating it.

z.prime wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 am

This is not allowed in the spirit or the rules: you are only allowed to bounce full tracks (e.g. freeze). And while using delay is technically allowed, it has been stated multiple times that using any effect to drastically alter the sound is not allowed, and I would proffer that this technique certainly drastically alters the sound of the single sampled bounce by repeating it.
Bouncing is optional. Exactly same result could be achieved without it. It just makes things easier.

And for me to repeat the sound without changes certainly doesn't mean to alter it.

løkken wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm
z.prime wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 am

Bouncing is optional. Exactly same result could be achieved without it. It just makes things easier.

And for me to repeat the sound without changes certainly doesn't mean to alter it.
Even bouncing is a bit off, & your get around seems a touch wrong especially with a very cpu efficient synth
If you cannot achieve a certain style with the synth, Why not try a different style ?
This is about what is achievable with the synth, you could try 16 instances+ of synth kick, hundreds/thousands of instances as they wouldn’t hit your cpu if you are only using it for a 16th note :D
Also, you could take the prize for the most instances ;)

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:14 pm Consistent drum sounds are overrated. They are the reason for so much boring music... ; - )
I interpret this as "No, it's not possible to retrigger the oscillators." :lol:

While I find the effort and creativity admirable I think this is too complicated and too "rule-bendy" for me. But thanks anyway! :)

Perhaps I should just try to come up with a track that doesn't have a kick in it. Ambience here I come! :wink:
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

I think the point of OSC is that we work within the abilities of the synth of the month, not try to find the best work-arounds so it can do things that it does not normally do. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite, as I think that I (and pretty much everyone else) makes an effort to improve the overall sound during mixing and production - but taking a single instance of a sound and copying it as audio, and then editing to build the track seems outside the rules. Full disclosure: I petition for the use of commercial plugin efx every single month, so I'm not really all that much of a purist!

Return to “Instruments”