KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah!!!!

At 75 bucks with the survey code I just had to jump on it...

I’m a 90s Boards of Canada Aphex Twin Warp records head and this called out to me....I have a few ambient breaks tracks on the go at the minute so I’m keen to see what happens...

D

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:01 am A bit off-topic: Is there a way to reset a trial? OFC I could open a new account and hassle with the license file but there must be a way. I would like to test some plugins again.

They did reset all trial licenses once in March because of of COVID.. maybe just try starting them up again.

Opposing to the 2-pole LPF in e.g. bx_oberhausen and OBsession the LPF in Knifonium is clearly loosing much of the low end with the Resoannce being increased (it also gets quite a lot more quiet at full Resonance) and there only seems to be a single filter mode. So this is no synth for BONES it looks like. :)
At full Resonance the sound seems to be closer to the Minimoog ladder filter while personally with bigger Resonance amounts i prefer the sound of the 4-pole Lowpass filter in The Legend compared to this and also the 4-pole LPF in OBsession with the maxed out Reonance (in the voice trimmers or the mod matrix).

Concerning the envelopes i first thought that this is not able to do long sweeps but there is a "Time x5" switch that allows using much for longer times than in the default setting. But even with that the longest times seem to be clearly shorter than in e.g. OBsession (the only synth i compared so far).

There is no dedicated mod matrix so the modulations have to be set/adjusted in the main GUI.

The FM seems to be a usal Osc X-Mod and other audio rate modulations do not seem to be possible.

Mod sources are 2 ADSR enveleopes, and a single LFO and a S&H source so Knifonium is not exactly oustanding in terms of mod sources.

Like in bx_oberhausen (the Trial of this is still working here for around a week) many presets in Knifonium seem to use the "Air Band" FX and without this those patches seem to sound clearly differntly and/or worse.
Several of the patches (including the Basses) also use an additional EQ effect so it is often hard to say what the raw sound of the synth really is like before you switch off those built-in EQ FXs.
Some of those Bass sounds might sound less impressive without those FXs being added.

With some first quick attemps doing my own patches from scratch so far both sound and feature wise i do not really see that this could somehow replace OBsession as my current favorite analog emulation and the amount of truely unique features in Knifonium (besides being based on vacuum tubes) that i might really need seems to be quite limited (for example features like the Ring Mod, Feedback and the 3 Amp modes).

Feature wise except a few additional and/or unique features Knifonium seems to be somewhere between Repro-5 and OBsession (where both Knifonium and OBsession are missing the filter FM option from Repro-5).

Sound wise the special thing about Knifonium seems to be the use of vacuum tubes but at the moment i stuiggle a bit to notice the difference or real advantage compared to using "traditional" circuits. I admit that so far i did not have many experiences with vacuum tube based synths (except the demo version of Vacuum Pro).
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

SLiC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:46 am Most of the time after a 14 day trial I no longer want to buy things anyway and some other new shiny thing has come out to distract me....
Pretty much how it works now with the avalanche of plugins at 50 euro : distractions.

May just have to get this one instead...

https://youtu.be/BKOLQ2mYgvA
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

resistent wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:01 ame a way to reset a trial? OFC I could open a new account and hassle with the license file but there must be a way. I would like to test some plugins again.
I wanted to demo a plugin again so contacted support explaining, they were fine with it, gave me another 14 days without any hassle. I guess it's a potential sale as long as you don't abuse it, take the pee.

$299. I'd love to have whatever it is they're smoking.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:56 am $299. I'd love to have whatever it is they're smoking.
Only Eltons pay full price.
I get mine for 49$. :tu:

Calenberger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 am
wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:56 am $299. I'd love to have whatever it is they're smoking.
I guess with the 8 plugins I have of theirs I don't own enough stuff.

This is almost getting into Waves territory with ridiculously inflated 'normal prices' that literally nobody will ever pay. Sad to see :dog:

I hate it when I can't set last note priority :cry:

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:15 am Sound wise the special thing about Knifonium seems to be the use of vacuum tubes but at the moment i stuiggle a bit to notice the difference or real advantage compared to using "traditional" circuits. I admit that so far i did not have many experiences with vacuum tube based synths (except the demo version of Vacuum Pro).
Yeah I'm demoing it now and it's not really doing a lot for me, the filters are weak and I can't really make out anything special about the sound either. It certainly doesn't make me want to buy it straight away, although I'll keep trialling it and see if it grows on me - unlike Obsession which just has so much character and life to it and I had to get soon after demoing it.

Are there any working voucher codes at the moment?

Calenberger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 am
This is PA. Early bird price is for the bourgeoisie. Next year pricing will be for the povo.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”