Reaper and Bitwig.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JO512 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm The only DAW I've ever spent significant time with is Reaper. But because of all the raving I see about Bitwig, I've been trying out the demo a little. I feel extremely limited in it. Perhaps it is that I just don't know how to do all the things I know how to do in Reaper. But it really seems like in Bitwig, I am constrained to just the essentials. Am I mistaken?
I would say you are not mistaken...

But then your comment is very generalized, so there could be some things you have not found that are there. Reaper is a near bottomless well of options and functions by comparison.

Bitwig has a really user friendly interface..so it's not for programmers)

JO512 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm The only DAW I've ever spent significant time with is Reaper. But because of all the raving I see about Bitwig, I've been trying out the demo a little. I feel extremely limited in it. Perhaps it is that I just don't know how to do all the things I know how to do in Reaper. But it really seems like in Bitwig, I am constrained to just the essentials. Am I mistaken?
yes you are mistaken if you want to make generative or midi based music. But if you are just using audio then no you aren't mistaken
JO512 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm But overall, it feels so limiting!
that's also heavily influenced by how familiar you are with the different programs

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pmI already have plugs to cover mixing duties. I just need volume, pan, a decent workflow, mute/solo buttons, and decent sound quality.
Just use Bitwig then...
Actually, i still have Reason. I'll use Reason for doing the mixdown.

ShawnG wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:19 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:18 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:36 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:42 pm The only DAW that colors sound intentionally is Harrison Mixbus.
Funny i should mention that then!
They advertise it as such. They try to make it sound like an analog console. If you bypass all their channel strips it will not color either...
Reason is an emulation of an SSL desk, ain't it?

cheers for explaining monster cables
only if you turn on the mixer EQ or comp/gate modules. the sound passing through reason's mixer itself is uncolored and clean, as has been borne out many many times in strict testing. Just like Bitwig. or any of the others.

I read somewhere on the web, that it's ok to go into the red when using Reason because the Reason mixer is an emulation of an SSL desk. Can you tell me is that true or false? Thanks.

False

Cheers

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:02 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pmI already have plugs to cover mixing duties. I just need volume, pan, a decent workflow, mute/solo buttons, and decent sound quality.
Just use Bitwig then...
Actually, i still have Reason. I'll use Reason for doing the mixdown.
Actually, in practice, Bitwig is better for doing mixdowns. Reason is better for doing editing ATM.

What i like about Bitwig for mixdowns than Reason, is i can make a template with my mix effects on every channel, then i can drag and drop all the tracks onto the template in one move. In Reason i have to do each track by track which is laborious to say the least.

It's fine to clip as long as you're working in 32bit float and your DAW supports it. If you were to render that file to 24 or 16 you have to make sure it's not clipping before you do so.

Btw, to answer the question in your original post, I believe Renoise will make feel programmers kind of at home because you have to be write commands to operate it fluently.

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:16 am What i like about Bitwig for mixdowns than Reason, is i can make a template with my mix effects on every channel, then i can drag and drop all the tracks onto the template in one move. In Reason i have to do each track by track which is laborious to say the least.
I can drag and drop a whole song in audio files into Bitwig, which is great. The only problem is the detection which is getting the BPM wrong for some of the audio files.

reaper isnt that difficult tbh.
ive tested reaper and studio one just to get a daw with a traditional score editor.
whereas i wasnt able to get my midi keyboard running in studio one in less then 5mins, which was the death penalty ;D, i did so with reaper and it won this competition by a mile.
the handling was much more easier than i thought, and i could figure out the basics on how to set up a track with instruments, imported the mid-file abnd edited the score successfully (with some help of the forum)

but ONE hot tip for all reaper noobs to get an easier start:
after install go to the forum
check out the SKIN section
choose one and dl it/install it before further using reaper (its very easy to do so)

THEN start reaper and test it as you like.
easy to get distracted and mislead by a naked reaper install :D.

well that makes it the third daw i have to use. but now i udnerstand alle the hype and fuss people make about reaper. its indeed one of the best daws out there i guess.

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:17 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:33 pmI treated myself to Obscorium.

"Obscurium animates you to explore new paths to creation of music & sound design. Like a modular system, it allows for most complex circuits, yet remains easily accessible.
It will change your process of making music, to a fun and playful state of flow and you’ll come up with patch after patch of cool melodic and chordal passages that intiate new tracks."

So far I've noticed its like (Reason) Matrix Pattern Sequencer, on steroids!
This isn't correct. I was wrong about this. It's ok for making an interesting loop but then you can't automate the loop - bah!
You can't automate the loop in Reason, but in Bitwig!;)

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:14 am
ShawnG wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:19 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:18 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:36 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:42 pm The only DAW that colors sound intentionally is Harrison Mixbus.
Funny i should mention that then!
They advertise it as such. They try to make it sound like an analog console. If you bypass all their channel strips it will not color either...
Reason is an emulation of an SSL desk, ain't it?

cheers for explaining monster cables
only if you turn on the mixer EQ or comp/gate modules. the sound passing through reason's mixer itself is uncolored and clean, as has been borne out many many times in strict testing. Just like Bitwig. or any of the others.

I read somewhere on the web, that it's ok to go into the red when using Reason because the Reason mixer is an emulation of an SSL desk. Can you tell me is that true or false? Thanks.
Actually what it is in Reason (sorry if this has already been answered, haven't read past your comment yet) is you shouldn't necessarily be alarmed if the individual channels go into the red. It's only a problem if it is (use your ears) clipping. The main concern is the Master Output going into the red I think. It's in one of Ryan Harlin's video's on You Tube:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-TpPLzRpsU

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”