KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:15 amother synths
why are you comparing it to stuff that is irrelevan?

the question should be, does it sound like the hardware it is emulating, not does it sound like unrelated random synth...

AnX wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:19 am

the question should be, does it sound like the hardware it is emulating, not does it sound like unrelated random synth...
I bet nobody here has got the hardware to compare it with, so that question wont be answered.

The only thing people can do, is compare the pa synth to other synths and see if anything else is similar. If there are any similar synths and i happen to own them, then i know that i dont need to spend any more money with PA.

Which is good for me and my dwindling bank balance.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

You dint have to compare it to anything realy, just decide if you like the sounds it makes and if you need it an can afford it- job done.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

No, the question for me is if i like the synth "as is" (independent of how it compares to the real thing and if it is based on vacuum tubes or not) and if it offers something that my other synths do not and/or something that i really need.

FWIW i just replicated the same patch on Knifonium and Repro-5 and those can sound VERY close.
This means that Knifonium can sound very nice but so far nothing really special compared to other synths i already own (while so far i only directly compared it to Repro-5 and OBsession).
The filter behavior of Knifonium at high to full Resoance is comparable to Repro-5 while Knifonium is MUCH more quiet at full resoanance and overall i prefer the behavior in Repro-5.

OBsession, Repro-5, The Legend, Diva, Roland Cloud Jupiter-8 and Xils Lab Syn'X 2 are currently my favorite and/or most used analog emulations. Those are at a very high level and for me all new plugins have to compete with those.

PS:
Knifonium indeed sounds nice "as is" but so far i do not see that i would really need it. As i currently would have to pay around 231$ (incl. VAT) this is not an option for me anyway. The trial of of bx_oberhausen is still working here too and while i did not buy this yet (and will also not do for sure before another big sale for it is started for it) it is more interesting for me than Knifonium.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Proper run though here - sounds great to me...can’t wait to get home and get my ambient grunge on...

https://youtu.be/EhgXF9X7pso

resistent wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:01 am I don't want to complain
Don't then
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Mmmm! Always appreciate Ingonators take on all things analog synths as he obviously knows what’s going on under the hood.
My opinion comes from the point of view of someone who uses presets - blasphemy I know - and who knows what a hood looks like and that’s about it. First impressions are a little mixed... not enough interesting presets and quite a few vanilla ones that don’t really set this synth apart from some others. There are a couple that are really quite good and that point to the synth being able to create some really thick cool sounds. So I’m kinda on the fence right now and hoping that some great sound designers are going to create some amazing presets for it.

I have seen it described as "quirky" a few times and think that's quite fitting term.

I kinda like it I think...?

kelvyn wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:38 pm My opinion comes from the point of view of someone who uses presets - blasphemy I know - and who knows what a hood looks like and that’s about it.
Reported! :D

gondii wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:43 pm I have seen it described as "quirky" a few times and think that's quite fitting term.
Yes, and that (sometimes unpredictable) behaviour diffentiates it from "normal" vintage emulations.

I agree, it doesn't seem to be "more of the same" to me.

Knifonium sounds sweet... definitely on par with their Oberhausen synth. What I wished though was to have a finer way of adjusting what TMT does, rather than a simple on/off switch. For example, I find it does too much in regards of differences in filter frequency between the voices. So, the way it is now, I rather turn it off, like in Oberhausen, where it makes the LFO rate MUCH too unstable to be useful for me...

It sounds very good with TMT turned off as well though. Really nice, their emulations are on a high level.

Maybe they could add a "TMT" section to the upper panel for their next synth, and let you fine tune the TMT adjustments.

Also... could be just me, but, the way it sounds to me, it seems like what TMT does is simply add a LFO on some paramters. It doesn't really appear random to me. I could be wrong though.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calenberger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 pm
gondii wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:43 pm I have seen it described as "quirky" a few times and think that's quite fitting term.
Yes, and that (sometimes unpredictable) behaviour diffentiates it from "normal" vintage emulations.
I like that in Reaktor Spark but this doesn't so far have that sort of unpredictability about it.

I can't seem to find any init patch...

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:03 pm

No, the question for me is if i like the synth "as is"
and yet the first thing you did was compare it to obsession and legend :roll:

Return to “Instruments”