best guitar distortion and fx 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A long time ago was NI guitar rig. It was so convinient to just get this bundle and you're done. I think it's really outdated now. Is there a new standard in the guitar world? One developer or suite that is considered the best? Or is the market just fragmented with a lot of good options?

the guitar distortion with the most features is https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_Axiom/

but it depend on you if you like the sound and feautures. i think the built in sounds not so good. because you can add VST plugins you can also add guitar rig so you can enhance your old sounds with the new effects. there is a demo so you can test if you like. it contain re-guitar the pickup simulator too.
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

i use so much stuff from IKM and PG for guitar

I think among guitar players, NeuralDSP is probably the most consistently highly rated. Their stuff isn't cheap, or the most fully featured in terms of quantity, but it's beyond reproach sound-wise. I have "Plini" from them and it does clean, crunch, and higain very well. Some of their other collections are geared more towards one end of the spectrum or another. They've got a hardware box coming out that I know people are super psyched for. So if you want "best sounding" they're absolute top of mind for me.

IK's Amplitube is ok. The newer collections are better, but I still don't think any hold up to the Neural stuff. Axiom from Blue Cat is great if you're into tinkering. Axiom can really sound terrific, but you have to put work into it. It can also sound really bad. That said, once you start figuring it out, you can get it to sound like just about anything once you do. I like the combination of Overloud's TH-U with the Choptones Rig Player libraries. Those sound terrific, but they're amp profiles (i.e. "sampled" like a Kemper) versus pure amp models and you don't get quite the flexibility of a real amp.

I've demoed a bunch of other stuff and don't rate it all honestly. But I'm also not a metalhead where so much guitar software is right now.

why iz guit rig so outdated?

I have to +1 NeuralDSP.

If you just want something to sound and feel like an amp, that’s the best I found.

With everything else, it’s very specific to your guitar, the strings and pickups, the D.I./Hi Z impedance and quality, as well as hitting just the right spot setting up your input gain. If you invest the time, you can work out incredibly great sounding presets with most of the current products.

But deviate from that sweet spot and the illusion falls apart. For some, it just seems to work anyway (see all youtube demos), for me, every detail counts, otherwise I can’t stand the results.

NeuralDSP for me is the first one that works flawlessly even if you don’t nail everything else.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Definitely check out Audiority, Cytomic and Kuassa.

Kazrog are meant to be working on a new version of Thermionik, which could be interesting.

I've heard of Neural DSP - good things - but have yet to try their products. Mercuriall Audio also has some good buzz about their products - looks like they have a sale on at the moment as well.

Speaking of sales, many of Audiority's plugins are currently on sale at Plugin Boutique. Stomp box prices are just under £10. The HM-2 emulation is one of the best £10s I remember spending. Picked up the Tube Modulator the other week as well - which is quite unique - and will definitely be investing in more of their products. Check out their free solid state amp to get an impression of the quality and attention to detail.

Very happy with Kuassa's Vermilion amp - great bass end. They also have a freebie - as does Black Rooster Audio - do grab their Orange amp emulation!

Softube have been releasing more amp products but I've yet to check them out. Whilst Softube make great products, they are mostly overpriced when compared to the previously mentioned companies.

I quite like Audio Damage for modulation options but Native Instruments also have some great products for that task.

Cytomic is definitely one to watch. The Scream has been project-ready for a long time - don't let the "beta" label deter you. The modding features mean that you can create tones that would otherwise risk frying a real Tube Screamer. Might be worth noting that I never really liked the Tube Screamer pedal but I purchased The Scream within minutes after downloading the demo.

Kinh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:37 pm why iz guit rig so outdated?
That's a great question. Maybe it's for the same reason that Kontkat's GUI will never be fixed.

I just got a Pod Go and it's great w impulses and vst fx after the fact. Otherwise A4 is one of best all in box

Guitar Rig has some great effects.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

You cannot make a wrong choice really. It's all about discovery and getting sounds

I still like TSE X50 the best for high gain. Bluecat if I need anything else. Guitar Rig is still fun but it's sweet spots for guitar are... Narrower?

Axiom, swiss army knife. TH-U recently, really like it. More convincing than Amplitube to me, really lovely and great fx. Audiority, wow. That free amp is jaw-dropping.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Don't know if it's still available but the VST plugin that comes with JamVox 3 is a great little all-rounder: http://www.korguser.net/jamvox/download ... _FX_E1.pdf (http://www.korguser.net/jamvox/downloads/JamVOX_III_FX_E1.pdf)
Zero latency, extremely low CPU hit, 32/64 bit, terrible presets...
ESI Maya 44e soundcard --> Intel G41M dual-core, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> 32-bit Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio

Neural and Nembrini for me at the moment.
Also the Kuassa amps and the bx stuff sometimes work.

Return to “Effects”