Presonus Atom or Faderport V2?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all. I am just starting out recording and producing, and after testing some DAWs I decided that Studio One best fits how I want to make music. As I want to work as little as possible with mouse and computer keyboard, I am considering to buy a Faderport V2 or the Atom. I will use it primarily for my workflow, to control Studio One. I have a midi controller keyboard with pads, so beat making is not on top of the list. I also use live instruments in my recordings (bass and guitars). What would you recommend? Should I go for the Atom or for the Faderport? Thanks very much for your advice

You may want to wait a few days, Looks like there is a new controller being announced on the 7th July (ATOMSQ)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yes I heard. What is Presonus‘ usual approach? To directly ship the new Studio One with it (I also heard that Studio One 5 will be announced on the 7th)?

LocalTrack19 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 pm I will use it primarily for my workflow, to control Studio One.
The Faderport and Atom each control a different part of Studio One. Roughly Faderport is for mixing and Atom is for producing.

Interesting on the ATOMSQ. As you would expect, sounds like it will have tight integration with patterns / impact. Wonder if I can trade in my Atom? ;)

It’s $ 250,-, and comes with S1 Artist. What will happen to the “old” Atom? Will it also ship with version 5 later this week (after today’s announcement), or will it still ship with version 4?And how about the grace period to have a free upgrade to version 5 then? Lot of questions....

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:29 am
LocalTrack19 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 pm I will use it primarily for my workflow, to control Studio One.
The Faderport and Atom each control a different part of Studio One. Roughly Faderport is for mixing and Atom is for producing.
Looks like the AtomSQ is more integrating these two, with the Touch Bar in it

If your focused more on engineering get the faderport. More production than the Atom. This new Atom toward beatmakers is not it. Akai with the Fire, and NI with Jam tried it and both failed.

LocalTrack19 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm It’s $ 250,-, and comes with S1 Artist. What will happen to the “old” Atom? Will it also ship with version 5 later this week (after today’s announcement), or will it still ship with version 4?And how about the grace period to have a free upgrade to version 5 then? Lot of questions....
Ships with V5 (is the only picture we currently have of V5 is with this controller) and also with Live 10 lite (the script is already in Live beta!)

the original ATOM is a drum pad designed to integrate with impact etc, so a totally different type of controller realy. This one is a keyboard and a pattern controller (step)...the new adverts show a set up with both in use, so not a replacement.

All will be reviled in 1 hour :D :party:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:56 pm
LocalTrack19 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm It’s $ 250,-, and comes with S1 Artist. What will happen to the “old” Atom? Will it also ship with version 5 later this week (after today’s announcement), or will it still ship with version 4?And how about the grace period to have a free upgrade to version 5 then? Lot of questions....
Ships with V5 (is the only picture we currently have of V5 is with this controller) and also with Live 10 lite (the script is already in Live beta!)

the original ATOM is a drum pad designed to integrate with impact etc, so a totally different type of controller realy. This one is a keyboard and a pattern controller (step)...the new adverts show a set up with both in use, so not a replacement.

All will be reviled in 1 hour :D :party:
Drinks and popcorn are ready :) .

I was about to order the original Atom, but first I want clarity on which version of S1 it ships with (I am now running the one month demo which expires next week)

Thanks for all the advice. The “old” Atom will be delivered tonight, I am only curious if it ships with S1 Artist V4 or V5, but let’s wait and see

LocalTrack19 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:46 pm Thanks for all the advice. The “old” Atom will be delivered tonight, I am only curious if it ships with S1 Artist V4 or V5, but let’s wait and see
If it comes with 4, then...

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... dio-One-4-

Lotuz2019 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:24 pm
LocalTrack19 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:46 pm Thanks for all the advice. The “old” Atom will be delivered tonight, I am only curious if it ships with S1 Artist V4 or V5, but let’s wait and see
If it comes with 4, then...

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... dio-One-4-
Really? I ordered it yesterday after v5 was announced. And neither the product nor Studio One is registered yet. Oh well, we’ll see

It is with V4 and grace period doesn't apply. From the same link: " OEM copies do not qualify for free upgrades. Software that was given as a gift upon registration of a piece of hardware are only eligible for the PreSonus Sphere. Details are listed below..."

Anyway, you can purchase the VST/AU/ReWire support later (this is what I did with ATOM) because Artist v4 doesn't come with such support. So, it becomes like the old Producer version (back then in version 2) which is not bad at all!
Personally, I don't see a big difference between v4 and v5 other than the VST/AU/ReWire support. So, I would stay happily with v4.

ATOM is a very nice kit of hardware. It integrates also with Live 10 out of the box with very similar functionalities to Studio One, but you can also trigger/record clips in Session View. It is not like Push with Live, but it is very useful for drums. The pads are stiffer than in Push, but comes with velocity and aftertouch support. However, it is more useful in Studio One and makes the workflow even easier. If I didn't have Live/Push, I would choose S1/ATOM :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”