Any news on Kontakt GUI?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:01 pm
VitaminD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 pm
telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm
VitaminD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 pm (I'm running 1920x1200 and IMHO Kontakt is fine at that resolution in about 98% of areas.)
Then just like telecode (who came to the defense to apologize for NI) If you don't have a problem with it on your hardware now, then you wouldn't have a problem with it on your hardware if they modernized it. So the issue shouldn't concern you and you shouldn't have a voice in the matter outside of accepting that others not like you DO have an issue with the interface.
what the hell are you babling about. i just posted that K6 was relase in 2018 and someone at NI should do a survey to see how many 4K users there are out there. NI do surveys all the time about their product users.
I'm not babbling and you know it. It seemed like you were just trying to dismiss the issue raised by the OP and supported by several of us in the thread. 4k users don't get the entire picture as it isn't just high resolution but totally different height to width ratio (that I keep mentioning).
telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm Re; GUI and revamping. If NI are going to to it, It better be done right. Steinberg did a revamp of the GUI for Cubase and IMO royally fauked that product up.
The minute details of what is considered 'right' is up for debate. What isn't is the underlying design concepts behind the decisions of why the UI of Kontakt is the way it is. Namely squareish screens in smaller resolutions (compared to today).
I think it was clearly explained to you earlier in the thread as to why the UI of Kontakt 6 is the way it is and why the UI of some of the newer NI products are so different.
Well no. It just excused the issue out of a large amount of effort that would be involved to correct the issue. It wasn't 'clearly explained' to me, It was addressed to the group discussing it, you included. I didn't start the discussion just agreed with the OP and those who also see the issue.

You've already admitted the UI size and form as it is works for you. And surely it will be if they ever get around to updating it. So you're set either way -- no need to be here.
telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:01 pm A better question to ask is, is the main selling point of K6 the UI or the libraries?
That question simply dismisses the issue with the UI. It isn't a binary decision. You can have a well rounded sampler feature set including a modern UI that takes advantage of modern screens AND wonderful libraries and support.

But this is what really ticks me off.. near constant resistance. Especially resistance by people without a horse in the race. They don't have the issue (like you) so everyone else can just deal with it the way it is. That's sooo incredibly aggravating.

Installed Kontakt player for the first time for years.. I dont have an issue with any other software, but Kontakt is seriously looking the same as it did in 15 years ago. It is TINY.
No scaling at all? Not even a 200%?
Any workarounds?

cnt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 pm Any workarounds?
Yes. Use a display with a appropriate DPI. :P

3840x1200
chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 pm
cnt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 pm Any workarounds?
Yes. Use a display with a approp7riate DPI. :P
So how many DPI are you using in your setup? :P

96 DPI is the standard in Win10 at the 100% setting so that is what I am using of course. Going lower (if possible) will screw with everything else.

And changing resolution is not a work around unless you have a dedicated screen with like 1024x768 for Kontakt only.
So no, Kontakt is still tiny even on a non-4k standard DPI screen. I am using ultrawide 3840x1200, so it isn't 4k. Other old VSTs looks fine. Kontakt GUI is just not a good design.
I have perfect vision btw. (Cost me more than my DAW+screen but sure makes everything sharper) :)

So that's basically still HD resolution (1200p) that you have there. Just like me (1920x1200, on two monitors). No I don't consider Kontakt's GUI tiny at that size. You know what's tiny? Pro-53. By comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/qwQSAVz.png

BTW the above library wouldn't really fit on 1024x768, even in Kontakt's "focus mode" that only shows the performance view, since the library's performance view is 1000x750 by itself.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never had a issue with Kontakt being too small on my full HD 24.5" display here.

Yeah, but you have great eyes obviously
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 am So that's basically still HD resolution (1200p) that you have there. Just like me (1920x1200, on two monitors). No I don't consider Kontakt's GUI tiny at that size. You know what's tiny? Pro-53. By comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/qwQSAVz.png

BTW the above library wouldn't really fit on 1024x768, even in Kontakt's "focus mode" that only shows the performance view, since the library's performance view is 1000x750 by itself.
Pro-53! What nostalgia! :)
The Kontakt libs can vary of course, but if you take a look you at the buttons in Kontakt etc, they have more or less the equal size of those buttons and fonts as in Pro-53... Pro-53 was released in 2002. Kontakt 6 was released 2019.

I never really worked with Kontakt in the past (not part of my workflow, just demoed it a few times during the years), so I guess part of it is that I would consider myself a new user. It's not only the smaller sized GUI, it's the design itself I guess. If you have worked with Kontakt since 200x you are probably used to it already and don't get why some users thinks it feels out-dated.

I'm not arguing anything, just to compare: this machine has a 3072x1920 Retina display. It's the 16" model. I just opened Kontakt (6) standalone I think for the first time, as it prompted to set the audio card etc. It takes up about 55% of the screen, same basic portion horizontally and vertically. I don't see very well. I was using it in 2018 on a 21.5" display, not the highest end display by a long ways but it's called "4K". To me, it's not tiny. The word 'tiny' is not so much an objective term, so it can't be argued anyway.
Sorry for the people this doesn't work well for.

Oh, I get why people think it's "outdated", I would more or less agree. I think it's a fairly clunky design for 2020. I don't expect it to be redone ever, myself. I go back to Kontakt 1.5, 2003.

Fonts used in Kontakt are definitely larger than those used in Pro-53, I thought this is pretty evident from the screenshot.

How small the Kontakt GUI appears can depend on your DAW. Cubase resizes it nice sized. Studio One, it's gnat sized and the hi-def resize doesn't work for it. I have a 43" 4k monitor and use Studio One.. I have to lean closer to use Kontakt.

Haven't tested it out with Studio One 5 yet though, site is too clogged to download the upgrade.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
whitepianos.blogspot.com

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 pm Yeah, but you have great eyes obviously
They're not bad, but, by far not the best either, trust me. :)

24.5" full HD display about 60-70 cm away is perfectly fine here.

puremusic wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 pmStudio One, it's gnat sized and the hi-def resize doesn't work for it. I have a 43" 4k monitor and use Studio One. I have to lean closer to use Kontakt.

Haven't tested it out with Studio One 5 yet though, site is too clogged to download the upgrade.
What is your Windows scaling factor set to? Do you have high-DPI enabled in S1? Is "Enable system DPI scaling" for Kontakt turned on? Nothing changed in this regard in v5, but it should work in v4.x already.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

High DPI doesn't work with Kontakt. Studio One 5 same as 4. I guess my two last big feature requests for Studio One are fixing High DPI with Kontakt and Retrospective record.

My Scale factor is 225%.

Here're a screencap -- should give some perspective w/text size.

KontaktGUIStudio.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
whitepianos.blogspot.com

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”