Apple Mac computers make jump to its own chips

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:45 am
revvy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 am
fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 am in Mac world Apple is never responsible - it's always third parties that get the burden.
What do you mean?
I mean when it concerns Windows, most users usually blame Microsoft. OTOH, when it concerns macOS, most users usually blame the third party vendors (either hardware or software).
Mac users don't slag off or blame Apple? Yes they do, when deserved.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am
fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 am in Mac world Apple is never responsible - it's always third parties that get the burden.
What do you mean?
I mean when it concerns Windows, most users usually blame Microsoft. OTOH, when it concerns macOS, most users usually blame the third party vendors (either hardware or software).
Mac users don't slag off or blame Apple? Yes they do, "when deserved".
Problem is they (most of them) rarely feel it's "deserved". There's always someone else to blame for. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 am
revvy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am
What do you mean?
Mac users don't slag off or blame Apple? Yes they do, "when deserved".
Problem is they (most of them) rarely feel it's "deserved". There's always someone else to blame for. :shrug:
Yeah nah.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Maybe it's an indicator of how the transition period might turn out to be, and maybe not. But in the latest mail from Audio Damage they wrote something that I thought was interesting.
Big Sur And Apple Silicon...

macOS 11 "Big Sur" was announced last month, along with ARM-based Mac hardware. We are making every effort to ensure that all currently-available Audio Damage products will be ready for Big Sur and Apple Silicon on day one. Obviously, we are under a strict NDA, and can't really share the details of our experience with you. However, we can say that thus far our testing shows a problem-free transition. We can't speak to external interfaces and such-like, and we are currently somewhat limited in our available tools, but as far as our software running on Apple's hardware goes, you should experience no difficulties.
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

If even AD are being positive about Apple then other devs will be crying with joy about how easy it is!

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:29 am Audio Damage plugins already run on iOS, so it might be less problematic for them.
F’sure. However, it seems that u-he will also be on the frontline, and without any iOS presence :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am
Chapelle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:29 am Audio Damage plugins already run on iOS, so it might be less problematic for them.
F’sure. However, it seems that u-he will also be on the frontline, and without any iOS presence :tu:
No surprises there. Urs and his team are absolutely awesome coders.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am
No surprises there. Urs and his team are absolutely awesome coders.

/C
Hopefully it’ll be smooth for others, also.

In the move to Catalina it seemed that the developers that were having a better time were willing to help those who weren’t. Hopefully that’ll happen again.

I’m pretty sure that most of the plugins I use will make the transition. The only fear is that apparently there is an issue with AVX compatibility (I might be wrong), which already would be an issue for Massive X, which I doubt is NI’s only plugin that they intended to use that technology for :scared:

AVX is a vector instruction set that has roughly equivalent instructions in ARM (called SVE, similarly to how NEON is analogous to SSE, although SVE is slightly more than that as it allows vector sizes of AVX2, AVX512 and even bigger). now, granted, sometimes porting things from one instruction set to another is tricky, but a direct brute-force port should be easy enough for most things. so unless they have huge gobs of vectorized code, it's not that much work in the grand scheme of things.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:43 am AVX is a vector instruction set that has roughly equivalent instructions in ARM (called SVE, similarly to how NEON is analogous to SSE, although SVE is slightly more than that as it allows vector sizes of AVX2, AVX512 and even bigger). now, granted, sometimes porting things from one instruction set to another is tricky, but a direct brute-force port should be easy enough for most things. so unless they have huge gobs of vectorized code, it's not that much work in the grand scheme of things.
Seems quite encouraging. Thanks for the clarification :tu:

DSP code should be easy to get working on ARM. Third party libraries are the real issue; many may not work and the developers may have no appetite for addressing it.

echosystm wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:46 pm Third party libraries are the real issue; many may not work and the developers may have no appetite for addressing it.
Yes, that is a bummer. Thinking of wrappers that work today, to allow VSTs to run on Mac. If Intel processor the internals run in original code, and just wrapping the interface stuff. If platform is ARM, that has to run in an emulator if at all possible.

But Apple does not want cross boundaries anything - everything should be in Apple Universe, kind of. That was the case with Apple computers from start, and only deviation they made was going Intel suddenly from Motorola.

We're getting closer to the actual release and we're starting to see Apple bringing up the hype. I'm really curious on how smooth this transition will be. But it wouldn't surprise me if Apple will do the first releases with a massive bang announcing a shipload of 3rd party software ready to go.

Interesting times indeed.

All current Kazrog plugins updated for Apple Silicon readiness, new installers
by Shane McFee / July 06, 2020

All current Kazrog plugins have been updated with Apple Silicon-ready DSP under the hood, as well as new and improved installers. Performance, stability, and compatibility are improved in both Mac and Windows, and these updates are recommended for all users.
Anyone see more updates like this from other developers?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”