KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's just down the road from Northampton, so you were in the right place. :tu:

Aliens wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:18 am It's just down the road from Northampton, so you were in the right place. :tu:
im all about, like shit in a field :hihi:

:hihi:

Northampton in England? That would also be English as the declared language. Old English would pronounce the K in KN words, borrowing heavily from Germanic influence, but this stopped centuries ago. Finnish is a Uralic language, but had some Germanic ties. Knif sounds more Germanic than Finnish to me, but there was a lot of history there. Regardless of Germanic pronunciation, we use Modern English with KN which makes the K silent in all English pronunciation situations. But hey, start saying the K on all KN words and see how it makes you sound.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:36 am Northampton in England? That would also be English as the declared language. Old English would pronounce the K in KN words, borrowing heavily from Germanic influence, but this stopped centuries ago. Finnish is a Uralic language, but had some Germanic ties. Knif sounds more Germanic than Finnish to me, but there was a lot of history there. Regardless of Germanic pronunciation, we use Modern English with KN which makes the K silent in all English pronunciation situations. But hey, start saying the K on all KN words and see how it makes you sound.

Ahhh lol actually I pronounced the k in Knifonium until now. :D I thought, with that strange name, it must be German, hehe. Just googled it and the original company seems to be Finish, though.

Vertion wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:36 am Northampton in England? That would also be English as the declared language
clearly you've never been there :lol:

but anyway, I wasn't debating the silent k, I assumed everyone knew if was silent

Fun fact: in German "Kniff" means trick, gimmick. The word is a bit oldish though.

I fail to see what the location of KVR has to do with the way Knif is pronounced. Knif Audio is a Finnish company so I don't think it should be pronounced with an English accent, so no silent K.

Typical American arrogance :roll:

Americans don't speak in an English accent

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:16 am Americans don't speak in an English accent
or in the english language quite often.
its close but not quite.

i mean, cmon, aloominum. piss off.

Bit of a wild beast this synth. I've had fun playing with it, but I would struggle to find a place for it in the kind of music I like to make, so the price makes it a no go at the moment.

It's quite heavy on CPU, comparible to Diva on max quality. The spread function does really weird things to the sound when you listen in mono that seem to go beyond normal mono compatibility issues. The UI is also a bit of a clusterfuck in my opinion.

Overall though there are few synths quite like this one, it's good to see something a little different.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am The spread function does really weird things to the sound when you listen in mono that seem to go beyond normal mono compatibility issues.
Yeah, I really don't understand why and how they implemented this spread knob. It just looks like a show off to get the WOW effect on headphones/studio speakers.
They already did that in bx_oberhausen and it was mostly unusable for me because of the bad mono compatibility.

I had to turn up the buffer size to the max in asio4all to get rid of the crackle. None of my other synths ever needed that.
Hardly an issue though since I don't use inputs, but still kind of strange.

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am or in the english language quite often.
its close but not quite.

i mean, cmon, aloominum. piss off.
One word they have got right though is 'Lieutenant' ... why we pronounce it 'Leftenant' I have no idea !

Return to “Instruments”