Automatic music : is it possible ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings, everyone,
I have been studying music and the mathematical relationships between chords and musical scales for some years now.
I have conceived a mathematical theory that studies the links between the world of harmony and that of melody.

I wanted to share with you a website where I put some results of my research:

http://www.music-engine.net/

I also created a youtube channel where you can find some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUhoF8 ... wBQ/videos

Two aspects can be seen: that of musical transformations, and that of automatic musical generation.

I would like to know what you think about these results. In some time I would like to put online the software that generates this music.

A cordial greeting to all

Could you tell us a bit more about your theory? It looks like your website is down.

Yes, I'm sorry, the database was down.
The site is ok now.

music-engine wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:54 pm Automatic music : is it possible ?
You probably aren't aware of Betteridge's law of headlines ;-)

Thanks for sharing anyway!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Are you smart?
It's a joke, of course :-)
;-)

Is Betteridge's Law of Headlines true? ;-)

Visited your site, I'm not a fan of css style "text-transform: capitalize". It destroys all effort you have put in correct usage of the shift key.

Anyway, what it produces is, ehrm... interesting. Not exactly to my taste, while I have a pretty broad taste in music. Interesting nonetheless !!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

seems like an interesting expenditure of time for you

I don't think of this as an abstract problem, myself

BertKoor wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:49 am Anyway, what it produces is, ehrm... interesting. Not exactly to my taste, while I have a pretty broad taste in music. Interesting nonetheless !!
ehrm.. thanks !
:-D

I think the main problem is to make abstraction of artificial sounds, because in fact it is very difficult to produce a realistic effect.

It would be interesting to make real musicians play this music.

I don't think, personally, that you can produce totally automatic music. With these algorithms what changes is surely the approach to music and the way it is conceived. Human action is always the basis of everything, whether by pressing a piano key, or by manipulating the pitch of notes with mathematical calculations.

Well, AI tools creating music already exist, and personally I use Orb Composer to great effect.

Still, it takes more than simple mathematical transformations to create something pleasant.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Mathematical transformations can also be very complex. It all depends on what you are willing to do and the theoretical approach you have chosen.
I personally work a lot with calculations that allow me to understand how a harmonic sequence works to associate good musical scales. The rest is in fact simple to implement.

From your site, I get the impression when you’re talking about reducing existing pieces to ‘a single chord’ and ‘a single scale’, you’re essentially using the scale degree of the note in terms of the underlying chord in the original work, and transforming it to be the scale degree of the chord that you’re reducing it to? Then once you have that reduced-form version of the work you’re re-mapping that to a new chord sequence to create a new work?

I actually really like the results (based off your YouTube videos).

This one makes me think of prog bands like Focus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOtXKnFDck

I could imagine using such generated tracks as sources of inspiration. Like for all the funny or "less pleasant" melodies there are segments that definitely work.

counterparty wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:16 pm From your site, I get the impression when you’re talking about reducing existing pieces to ‘a single chord’ and ‘a single scale’, you’re essentially using the scale degree of the note in terms of the underlying chord in the original work, and transforming it to be the scale degree of the chord that you’re reducing it to? Then once you have that reduced-form version of the work you’re re-mapping that to a new chord sequence to create a new work?
That's right!

musical_duck wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:05 am I actually really like the results (based off your YouTube videos).

This one makes me think of prog bands like Focus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOtXKnFDck

I could imagine using such generated tracks as sources of inspiration. Like for all the funny or "less pleasant" melodies there are segments that definitely work.
Thank you very much !
It's my pleasure. I also had some criticism, sometimes it's not easy to appreciate this music because of the too artificial sounds, but I am forced to use the midi format to be able to do computer calculations.

I'm interested in automated composition (although I'm still mediocre at theory, so if I say something stupid I hope somebody will correct me).

In terms of determining which scale(s) a piece of music is in, I would imagine a probabilistic approach over time.

We hear one note, which could be in some set of scales (each with an associated probability, although there isn't much we can say after hearing one note).

We hear another note, and now we have a new set of scales that it could be, each with a new probability. A third note, etc.

We can't assume that all of the notes are in the scale (so we need a probabilistic approach), and we can't assume that the scale remains the same through the whole piece of work (so we would need some kind of sliding window over the last N notes to determine which scale is used currently).

It's not like scales are a fundamental property of nature - they're just conventions that we've heard a million times before - so you would probably derive the probability that a given listener would perceive a piece of music to be in given scale from analysis of existing musical works.

Return to “Music Theory”