Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

AnX wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:37 pm enhancing one synth means the "test" is pointless

either do them all the same or not at all
I discussed adding more mod matrix slots with Richard yesterday and he agreed that this makes sense.

I also added a new feature request thread for this at the beta forum so it could be discussed there.

FTR, everyone at the beta forum has been asking for this for months, you missed it... Rich agreed to it a long time ago in an update. The new thread at the beta forum is totally unnecessary.
revvy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 am I'm sure it's a natural reaction when programming Obsession, I wasn't claiming to be the first to have had the thought.

i know you weren't :wink:
Ah, good news about mod matrix, nice one!
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I note there is a 1.02 out now.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am I note there is a 1.02 out now.
rsp
Good to know!

Have no idea what is changed or fixed in it though.
rsp
sound sculptist

It is only a minor update about NKS (improved template and preset tagging). Also a rare installation issue on Windows 10 should be solved now.
https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... =7&t=12863

Richard
Last edited by Richard_Synapse on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 pm It is only a minor update about NKS (improved template and preset tagging). Also a rare installation issue on Windows 10 should be solved now.

Richard
Thanks Richard.
rsp
sound sculptist

Richard could it be possible to add a option to select both layers (A,B) and edit parameters for both at the same time?

Lucastyle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:42 pm Richard could it be possible to add a option to select both layers (A,B) and edit parameters for both at the same time?
and keep both layers as seperate sounds?

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Lucastyle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:42 pm Richard could it be possible to add a option to select both layers (A,B) and edit parameters for both at the same time?
and keep both layers as seperate sounds?
Yeah sort of like macros

Lucastyle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:42 pmRichard could it be possible to add a option to select both layers (A,B) and edit parameters for both at the same time?
To what end? You can just solo one part, edit it and then copy/paste to the other part before you rebalance their outputs. It wouldn't save you more than a couple of mouse-clicks, at most.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

But what if you want to tweak (filter frequency, amp env release, Filt. envelope amount, etc.) for two different patches at the same time, it would be awesome if you could select like this and tweak them
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 6.10.46 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I wish Obsession did something similar to U-he's stack mode or Arturia's stereo mode where you get the same patch but with subtle differences panned each to oposite sides Left and Right for a wider stereo image, for example Arturia's LFO can also be phase offset so when it's routed to the filter or another parameter it can produce some interesting sounds and combinations, this is the scenario I'm ultimately proposing.

You can do that yourself with very little effort. It's pretty much what I've done with all my Dual patches. You could even set it up as a template patch, call it "Empty Stack", to copy/paste Osc and Filter settings into from a second instance.
Lucastyle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 pm But what if you want to tweak (filter frequency, amp env release, Filt. envelope amount, etc.) for two different patches at the same time, it would be awesome if you could select like this and tweak them
Except most of the time that wouldn't work very well. e.g. If one patch was using Env Mod to open the filter and the other was using the cutoff knob. It would really only be useful a) if you only wanted to tweak one or two parameters, in which case doing it twice isn't much of a chore, or b) if both patches use similar settings, in which case copy/paste isn't going to involve a lot of extra effort, either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Okay, so in order to give this thing a fair shot, I finally downloaded the demo. Admittedly, I went into this with my mind already made up that nothing was going to get me excited enough to actually buy it.

And then I played it.

Anyway, it's bought and paid for.

I have just one minor gripe and I'm sure it's one that other people, hell, probably lots of people, have as well.

You have to be REALLY stingy with that mod matrix because there just isn't a whole lot of slots. I could use up 6 without blinking an eye. So decisions have to be made as to what's the priority and what can you live without when programming a patch. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Dune 3 have tons more slots?

Anyway, aside from that, no complaints. While I bought this primarily for business purposes (I'm going to work really hard at putting together a quality library that is also going to be substantial in size) I expect to use it quite a bit too.

I am torn as far as what kind of library to make. Obviously, with all the stuff in this that wasn't in the original OB-Xa, the temptation is to create patches that the original can't make.

Do I go that route, possibly alienating those looking for a true emulation or do I avoid the extras risking alienating those who don't want the same old same old? Do I do a little of both? That could possibly lose everybody who wants only one or the other.

I didn't have this problem with The Legend because it really wasn't that different from the original. But in this case, there are some major differences that can't be ignored.

I honestly don't know what to do, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, a satisfied Obsession owner.

This thing sounds fantastic.

Great Job Richard!

Glad you’re enjoying it so far wagtunes. As for the sound library, I personally would like to see a good vintage, typical Oberheim sounds library. Some people crave that. For that, basically none of the mod matrix slots would be needed, as you could do this just utilizing the front side. Maybe add some velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel assignments and you’re done.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”