The Delay debate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a big fan of Uhbik-D. Multitap is life tbh.

Thanks gondii .. but for some reason PayPal didn't work. Will try again through apple's payment system from the zinio app on my iPad.

Replika XT, Psychic Modulation EchoMelt and Pulsar Echorec are my current favs. Planned to get Valhalla Delay soonish but the $25 upgrade from Replika to XT has kept me very happy for the moment - what a brilliant and stunning piece of software Replika XT is :love:

Unaspected wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 pm I know I've been harping on about Audiority for a few days - in various places - but I'll definitely be acquiring their Plexitape as it is on sale right now. It sounds great and can be used just for some lofi tape saturation, if you like that kind of thing.
I would highly recommend Plexitape for tape echo. They've nailed it. Ended up playing with the thing for hours after purchase and went to bed very late. When delay is recommended to "thicken up" a sound, I never really thought it applied to clean plugin delays but it certainly applies to this when mixed for the purpose.

I personally think the supermassive by Valhalla is the better for vocals. I use the gemini and centaurus mode. I set the mix low and I'll often add My own vstplug reverb and vstplug delay unit for timed echoes and feedback. It's not so all over the place as supermassive is.

Though in the case of brightness, I'd recommend the nectar pop setting for nectar 1 and 2. I like the brightness setting, but the eq is ultimately a bit gritty. I might compensate after by using the LE456 cab plugin and setting treble, mid and bass to zero, next setting the contour to about 50% gets rid of the grittiness.

Wanted to add a ton of delay swing to a stiff playing drummer. Used low mixed sends of Plexitape, PSP Echo and Outerspace from the kick, snare and ride to get a pulse going. But the one that really added the groove I was looking for was Satin. The 4 head slapback on steroids set to tempo sync was exactly the foot tapping/shuffling trail I was trying to get with so many others like EchoboyJR and Valhalla but could not.
I use it all the time for just tone shaping that I forget it has such useful delay.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:48 am Replika XT, Psychic Modulation EchoMelt and Pulsar Echorec are my current favs. Planned to get Valhalla Delay soonish but the $25 upgrade from Replika to XT has kept me very happy for the moment - what a brilliant and stunning piece of software Replika XT is :love:
XT is good. But I never used it after Valhalla Delay came out. Finally selling my Komplete crossgrade with the XT upgrade. I don’t use anything at all in it (only Kontakt, which I’m keeping).

I also have D16 Tekturon for crazy multi tap madness.

Same here. Valhalla delay, especially used in series, is amazing.

10 pages in and zero mention of the mack daddy of them all?
I am a certified delay junkie. I have an embarrassing number of delays in my toolbox as many others like me do... I have most of the ones mentioned on the previous pages, and I dearly love most of them.
That said- I've owned it for 16 years there are still things that Ohmboyz can do that the others cannot.
While most DAWs allow you to use devices to modulate controls, Ohmboyz had that capability baked into it's programming. You can use the LFO sawtooth to modulate the delay time and create reverse delays. You have 4 pre-delay taps. You have two completely separate delay lines if you want to use both. It (and all the ohmforce stuff...) has incredibly nice filters... there is just too much for a delay that really has not been updated with new features in the last years (of course it was updated to 64 bit)
Ohmboyz is a monster

(in the interest of full disclosure, I've created a couple of banks of presets for Ohmboyz and also for UVI relayer, Fabfilter's Timeless2 [another one that might not be getting the attention it deserves] and a free bank for U-HE's incomparable MFM2.... see the link in my sig below if you're interested :wink: )

Replika XT, Echomelt/Vectormelt and Valhalla Delay are all fantastic but I find myself using Audio Thing Outer Space and Audiority PlexiTape the most these days because I've mostly been playing guitar and Canterbury Suitcase and the vibe suits them so well.

(It's all making me sad that I don't have a real Rhodes to play with my RE-101 Space Echo)

Return to “Effects”