One Synth Challenge #137: HY-Poly by HY-Plugins ( Peter:H Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The issue of needing oscillator retrig to get consistent drum sounds has been around for many years in OSC and the answer is always the same - the use of sampling or bouncing to deal with it is not within the rules. Using a delay to achieve this is totally the same - a delay is a digital 'sample' which is fine for 'echo' fx but not fine for overcoming limitations of the synth - that is just sampling by another name.

If you could sample the synth for consistency it would change this challenge and create a whole new bunch of grey areas. The spirit of this as others have said is to work with what you can do with the synth of the month, and find the creativity and flexibility to produce something great within those limits.

Sure that's kind of a pain in the a** from some points of view, but it is what this challenge is :D

Having said that - if you use the delay that is built into the synth itself - then that is totally fair game - right folks? Does the feedback on this thing make that an option?

Eauson wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:11 am Kay, so, I have placed the hy poly presets saved in hy poly on my track post, just named patch 1-26, as it was quicker ;)
Yup, they worked, Thanks! I'll try to make good use of them, for sure some of the percussion sounds... :band:
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

MalToné wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:08 pm
Eauson wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:55 pm Ahh, sorry bout that, VST2 plug-in crashed, so I went for the VST3 version
I don’t know if I saved them in HY poly VST3 they would work in VST2 version?
Snare, using the bp filter1 for low end. Set about 250 hz @ noise for band pass filter 2 low resonance for both.
You can use the adsr to move the low end bpfilter. Or there are other adsr In effect section to move either sounds to get a bit of life.
Also longer Release time, one note 16th & another note 128th can add a bit of life.
Hopefully that wasn’t too confusing, as I’m not really good at explaining:D
I *think* I'm using the VST3, at least I installed in that folder and it's working.

Your instructions are good, I'll give that a try :tu:

I had not considered stacking notes of different duration, I'll try stacking different velocities too!

OK, now I see, different settings in the different envelopes...

Many Thanks!
Also, as an addition, when you hold a note down, it plays the extent of the decay/release, so if you hold down a note on, then on the next note you only use a 128/64/32th note you will if the release settings are right (Try longer values )get a nice tail, also try going up a semi tone on the second to get a swing up, which can help the feel.
As someone who is wholly self taught, it’s somewhat complex for me to explain my weirding ways :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:48 am Also, as an addition, when you hold a note down, it plays the extent of the decay/release, so if you hold down a note on, then on the next note you only use a 128/64/32th note you will if the release settings are right (Try longer values )get a nice tail, also try going up a semi tone on the second to get a swing up, which can help the feel.
As someone who is wholly self taught, it’s somewhat complex for me to explain my weirding ways :D
Got it, like a hi-hat open and closed for example?

It was hugely instructive to see how you set up the envelopes in your patches, some settings I would not have considered because of the way the envelopes affect the sounds, but the way you used them with the delay they're really pretty nice sounds!

Thank you again, I'm starting to understand this synth better.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

( Night Clouds )

( Listen quietly, possibly at night. )

Produced in Albeton Live 9 using
12 x HY-POLY synth and Live FXs : Reverb, Delay, EQ, Limiter.
Freeware MAX-1 by BeatSkillz

https://soundcloud.com/liqih/liqih-night-clouds

MalToné wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:02 pm
Eauson wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:48 am Also, as an addition, when you hold a note down, it plays the extent of the decay/release, so if you hold down a note on, then on the next note you only use a 128/64/32th note you will if the release settings are right (Try longer values )get a nice tail, also try going up a semi tone on the second to get a swing up, which can help the feel.
Got it, like a hi-hat open and closed for example?

It was hugely instructive to see how you set up the envelopes in your patches, some settings I would not have considered because of the way the envelopes affect the sounds, but the way you used them with the delay they're really pretty nice sounds!

Thank you again, I'm starting to understand this synth better.
Yes open/clsd hi hats, also good for snares and perc settings
Another one which I don’t use as much is a 1/4 delay with feedback /low mix in volume on bass lines :)

The sounds were really flung together probably a bit too quickly, but they make for a good starter :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

(Link to draft track deleted)

I enjoy the synth on one hand but on the other hand I think it has some weaknesses. From my experience when making this draft, it has rather slow envs, pitch mod range when applying an env to pitch is rather limited and the LFO rate ends at 20 Hz. Am I making something wrong or is this really the synth not me?
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 am ... it has rather slow envs, pitch mod range when applying an env to pitch is rather limited and the LFOrate ends at 20 Hz. Am I making something wrong or is this really the synth not me?
Most definitely not you ! As far as I can tell the envelopes are not actually all that slow. Weirdly enough, this slow attack seems to come from the oscillators. Have a look on a scope at the difference between tone and noise, bypassing the filter. The minimum attack time on noise is much shorter. Modulation never goes further than the scope of the knob you're modulating, I believe. Concerning LFOs: I think they actually can go faster than 20 Hz if you switch them to NOTE and 1/64.

Update alert, now version 1.07:

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/hy-plugin ... ion2-49140

Quite a few changes and some new features for the free version as well. If you have submitted already then you may want to have a look?

H-man wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:32 pm Update alert...
Thanks !

H-man wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:32 pm Update alert, now version 1.07:
Alert is literaly well put - Neither 64bits VST3 nor VST2 Version load in Bitwig and VSTHost on my computer. The scanner reports "Not a Plugin". Not nice ... Anybody else having the same trouble?
What really sucks is that I have removed the 1.0.0 from my harddrive. The evening session working on sounds ... abruptly ends

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Alert is literaly well put - Neither 64bits VST3 nor VST2 Version load in Bitwig and VSTHost on my computer. The scanner reports "Not a Plugin". Not nice ... Anybody else having the same trouble?
What really sucks is that I have removed the 1.0.0 from my harddrive. The evening session working on sounds ... abruptly ends
Works in REAPER, but version 1.0.0 is still available on vst4free, if that helps.
https://vst4free.com/plugin/3150/

edit: the REAPER project file did not load the new plugin, but it was available as a new plugin, and worked properly as far as I could tell. It just cost me all unsaved sounds, hence the trip to vst4free.
Last edited by ELEX on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Yes same problem here, Updated plugin won't show in reaper 6. Hopefully I still have 1.0.0 installer (windows). Somebody wants it ?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Ouch!

When I posted it was pretty late here so I had only loaded a new project to check some of the fixes and additions. This morning I have seen your comment, duplicated my working project file and tested it ...and it's all good. Dodged a bullet by the sound of things.

One note tho, when installing the new version, I noticed that each of the plugins (vst, vst3, AU etc.) all showed in the list with "Upgrade" (or Update?) next to them.

Also, I chose to not load the presets folder as part of the install.

macOS (10.15) and Live 10.1

Edit: Also using the vst2 version in my project

ELEX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:29 pm Works in REAPER, but version 1.0.0 is still available on vst4free, if that helps.
https://vst4free.com/plugin/3150/
Thanks! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”