Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 am Found a bug but it's quite possible because I'm still running Cubase 7 and I doubt this thing has been tested for that old a DAW.

Aftertouch does not work at all. I have tried it on everything I can think of and pressed down on my keyboard as hard as humanly possible (yes, I made sure I turned the value knob up) and nothing.

I don't have another DAW to test this on. Is there anybody who is having the same problem?

** EDIT ** I just tried something. I recorded a part and manually drew aftertouch on the piano roll and it works. So it's not responding to my keyboard. I can't imagine the Arturia Keylab 49 does not transmit aftertouch.
Aftertouch is working properly here with the 64-bit VST2 in Cubase Pro 9.5.50 (have not upgraded to 10.5 yet) and Live 10.1.15 and also with the AAX in Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.
My OS is Windows 10 64-bit and my hardware controllers are NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 and Korg Wavestation EX (both have built-in channel aftertouch).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Confirmed weird behaviour on Mac report.

I'm on 10.14.6, in latest Logic X and in Live 9, both AU and VST don't browse presets correctly. If I browse Sequences using the right arrow on the GUI, after a few sequences I end up on patches that are not in the Sequences folder.

Any chance of downloading an earlier version to confirm that this wasn't the case before?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:18 am
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 am ** EDIT ** I just tried something. I recorded a part and manually drew aftertouch on the piano roll and it works. So it's not responding to my keyboard. I can't imagine the Arturia Keylab 49 does not transmit aftertouch.
Does AT work with other plugins in Cubase 7 on your system ?
It's definitely the keyboard. I bypassed Cubase and brought up Arturia's DX 7 in standalone. Brought up a patch with aftertouch and played. No response. Oddly, the keypads do transmit aftertouch.

I don't know what to do now. I just bought this keyboard a few months ago.

My gut told me not to buy an Arturia keyboard but I didn't listen to it.

If I were you I would check page 14 of the manual of the Keylab 49 to make sure Aftertouch values haven't accidentally been changed to all 0's or something
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 am I can't imagine the Arturia Keylab 49 does not transmit aftertouch.
Which one?
Arturia Keylab 49 MkII has aftertouch, Arturia Keylab 49 Essential doesn't (only on pads)

zvenx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm If I were you I would check page 14 of the manual of the Keylab 49 to make sure Aftertouch values haven't accidentally been changed to all 0's or something
I have the manual but I have no idea how to check the values or how to change them if they are zero. Nothing in the manual shows you how to do this that I can find.

Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 am I can't imagine the Arturia Keylab 49 does not transmit aftertouch.
Which one?
Arturia Keylab 49 MkII has aftertouch, Arturia Keylab 49 Essential doesn't (only on pads)
I have the 49 Essential. Seriously? It doesn't transmit something basic like aftertouch?

WTF? That's f**king ridiculous.

use midi ox (?) to check what date is being transmitted

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:43 pm
Which one?
I have the 49 Essential. Seriously? It doesn't transmit something basic like aftertouch?

Quite a few modern keyboards don't transmit Aftertouch alas.
Even one of the high end, otherwise perfect, Roland Controllers.
NI S series do, their A and M series don't.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 pm use midi ox (?) to check what date is being transmitted
I already know it's not being transmitted because this cheap piece of shit doesn't transmit aftertouch. I didn't even think to ask the guy at the store if it transmitted aftertouch because it's such a f**king basic thing.

This is such bullshit! What $260 keyboard doesn't transmit aftertouch?

zvenx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:49 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:43 pm
Which one?

Quite a few modern keyboards don't transmit Aftertouch alas.
Even one of the high end, otherwise perfect Roland Controller.
NI S series do, their A and M series don't.
rsp
Okay, is there something I can get to put between the keyboard and the computer that will detect me pressing down on the keys and create an aftertouch. Even if I have to pay for it, it'll be cheaper than getting a new keyboard.

I can't f**king believe this!!!!

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:49 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 pm use midi ox (?) to check what date is being transmitted
I already know it's not being transmitted because this cheap piece of shit doesn't transmit aftertouch. I didn't even think to ask the guy at the store if it transmitted aftertouch because it's such a f**king basic thing.

As always, its everyone else's fault except yours :dog:

enCiphered wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:54 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:49 pm

As always, its everyone else's fault except yours :dog:
Back in the f**king stone ages every keyboard had aftertouch. It would be like asking the guy if the box of crackers you just bought actually has crackers in it. I have never in my life had a keyboard that didn't transmit aftertouch. So how do you know to ask the question if it's something you never experienced before?

Should I have asked him if the sustain pedal transmits CC 64 messages?

Some things you just don't think of asking because the questions are ridiculous to ask.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:51 pm Okay, is there something I can get to put between the keyboard and the computer that will detect me pressing down on the keys and create an aftertouch. Even if I have to pay for it, it'll be cheaper than getting a new keyboard.
Unfortunately not.
If You want to pay it will be way better if You replace it with the MkII version. Better quality overall, better keybed and has AT. "Quality and luxury", as Arturia descibes it :)
Or in lower price range, maybe Nektar Panorama T4

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 pm Back in the f**king stone ages every keyboard had aftertouch. It would be like asking the guy if the box of crackers you just bought actually has crackers in it. I have never in my life had a keyboard that didn't transmit aftertouch. So how do you know to ask the question if it's something you never experienced before?

Should I have asked him if the sustain pedal transmits CC 64 messages?

Some things you just don't think of asking because the questions are ridiculous to ask.
Quite a lot of MIDI controller keyboards and synths (including some workstations...) do not have aftertouch which is why i was very careful to be sure about that when i bought the NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 some years ago (and i am very happy with this controller...).

FWIW in the Thomann online shop it is always mentioned for each controller if the keys do offer aftertouch or not:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/midi_master_keyboards.html

This is the page for Arturia Keylab Essential 49:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/midi_master_keyboards.html
Aftertouvh is mentioned for the 8 pads but not for the keyboard. In the "Further Information" list at the right ou see "Aftertouch: No" and it is also not listed in the specs for the keyboard.

For the Keylab MkII 49 you see "49 Velocity sensitive keys with aftertouch" in the specs and "Aftertouch: Yes" at "Further Information":
https://www.thomann.de/gb/arturia_keyla ... _white.htm
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”