Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:39 pm How do you like this keyboard? Is it sturdy? How many keys? How much? I trust your opinion on stuff.
I have loved the MPK261 since I bought it about five years ago if my memory is correct. It's built like a tank but about two weeks ago the Mod Wheel started sending random midi data. A quick Google search revealed several other people had the same problem and apparently it's due to the pots.

But mine just went through a move and gave me years of good service so I would buy another Akai keyboard in a heartbeat. I was able to disable the MW and assign one of the Sliders to send CC1 so I haven't lost any functionality just the use of the wheel. I can't really justify buying a whole new keyboard just for that. It's possible newer versions have upgraded MW pots.

Other than that it's been rock solid and bullet proof. I love the drum pads being almost in the middle of the unit as that makes them very easy to play. One great feature is the Human Interface Device capability which allows you to program buttons to send qwerty key strokes including modifiers like shift and crtl so you can control your DAW functions right from the MPK. I find that very very useful.

I love the feel and response of the keyboard but of course that's a personal preference and it does transmit channel aftertouch.

The MPK261 has 61 keys and they do have a 49 key version. Not sure what the current price is but google will know.

https://www.akaipro.com/mpk261
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:40 pm
Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:39 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:35 pm But now I have to replace a keyboard that's only a few months old.
I'm not sure but maybe in meantime You could connect an expression pedal and map it to aftertouch
Are you ready for this? This keyboard has no inputs for an expression pedal. NONE.

And even if it did, AT doesn't have a CC # so how can you map it anyway?
I haven't bought it yet, but plan to.
There is a usb pedal to cc hardware/software that supposedly would do it. I plan to use it with my NI A/M Series if I travel for long periods of time.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm I haven't bought it yet, but plan to.
Check out the Akai MPK 225 for a 25 key option if you need portability. If you have a music store nearby check it out.....

https://www.akaipro.com/mpk225
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hink wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:54 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:35 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:32 pm Gotta be honest here...when I read that post last night I was like "of course it doesn't transmit aftertouch, which cheap keyboard controllers do?" It seemed like a crazy thing to expect. Then I googled it and saw the KeyLab Mk II had channel aftertouch and figured that's the one Wags must have so I let it drop. Come back in the morning, and lo-and-behold, I guess that's not the one Wags has after all. I guess everyone's learning not to assume. :lol:
To be fair, if you're my age or anywhere near it, there was a time when almost every keyboard had AT.

Don't worry, I will NEVER make THAT mistake again.

But now I have to replace a keyboard that's only a few months old.
that's not true, I was a salesman and AT was never that common and on expensive boards like a Kharma...we had it all at Mars, all on display and hooked up working...I doubt even 10% had AT (that was the turn of the century)
Well maybe things were different nearer to NY because I never had a keyboard without AT after the early ones I bought in the mid to late 70s. That's my experience. I can't speak for anybody else.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:05 pm
zvenx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm I haven't bought it yet, but plan to.
Check out the Akai MPK 225 for a 25 key option if you need portability. If you have a music store nearby check it out.....

https://www.akaipro.com/mpk225
oh I like akai stuff, but I already have the A and M series keyboard and the M32 really suits traveling well.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:40 pm
Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:39 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:35 pm But now I have to replace a keyboard that's only a few months old.
I'm not sure but maybe in meantime You could connect an expression pedal and map it to aftertouch
Are you ready for this? This keyboard has no inputs for an expression pedal. NONE.

And even if it did, AT doesn't have a CC # so how can you map it anyway?
I haven't bought it yet, but plan to.
There is a usb pedal to cc hardware/software that supposedly would do it. I plan to use it with my NI A/M Series if I travel for long periods of time.

rsp
Well, I only have one USB out on this keyboard and that's connected to my PC.

Oh it connects to the computer usb not the keyboard usb.

rsp
sound sculptist

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:08 pm Well, I only have one USB out on this keyboard and that's connected to my PC.
This pedal is supposed to be connected to Your PC, not the keyboard

And about the CC# - I'm pretty sure there is some software plugin to change CC# from breath controller CC# or pedal CC# to channel AT "on the fly"

I feel like I'm always praising my Novation SL Mk3, but it really is the best controller I have owned. Highly recommended!

My only regret is that I got the 49 key and not the 61 key

all lovely advice, but none of it relevant to OBsession

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:35 pm all lovely advice, but none of it relevant to OBsession
It's relevant that I can't program an AT sensitive Obsession patch without jumping through hoops. So yes, it's relevant.

Not directly relevant but Synapse is getting a bunch of free thread bumps.... :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:42 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:35 pm all lovely advice, but none of it relevant to OBsession
It's relevant that I can't program an AT sensitive Obsession patch without jumping through hoops. So yes, it's relevant.
Just to be clear that's not OBsession's fault though in case someone jumps into the thread at that point.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:05 pm Well maybe things were different nearer to NY because I never had a keyboard without AT after the early ones I bought in the mid to late 70s. That's my experience. I can't speak for anybody else.
You're right - there were days when almost every better synth had AT.
Like Yamaha DX7, or W series, EX series, SY (the better ones), Ensoniq ASR, TS, SQ, higher models of Roland JV / XP, Korg M1, WS, Trinity and so on and so on.
Some of them are sought after even today because of these keybeds and masterkeyboard functionality. And they last almost forever.

I have Yamaha W7 - quite nice keybed, maybe not top of the line but has channel AT.
Bought it for some 50$, replaced the rubber contacts, all the switches and LCD, works like a charm.
Also have one of the best keys ever built - GEM S2 Turbo with PolyAT, sturdy like a tank. Bought also second hand from a retired musician.
Both are more than 20 years old and after some service they're working till today.

And going back to Obsession and Oberheim - as far as I know, Oberheim OB synths didn't have aftertouch and the first one with AT was Matrix :D

Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:08 pm Well, I only have one USB out on this keyboard and that's connected to my PC.
This pedal is supposed to be connected to Your PC, not the keyboard

And about the CC# - I'm pretty sure there is some software plugin to change CC# from breath controller CC# or pedal CC# to channel AT "on the fly"
Okay, so I get a USB expression pedal and plug it into my PC. I then start up my DAW and bring up Obsession and by pressing down on the expression pedal, I can transmit AT information to my DAW.

Wonderful. How exactly does that work though? How does my DAW recognize the expression pedal? I assume when you buy the pedal it comes with software that you can program it to send whatever data you want to send?

Sorry, have never done this before and have no clue where to even begin.

I have a Yamaha expression pedal but it has a 1/4 inch jack. Is there a 1/4 inch to USB converter? And even if so, how would I program the pedal?

All of this is Greek to me.

Return to “Instruments”