Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

revvy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:29 am So is there somewhere better suited for me to discuss the issue I reported before about patch browsing problems? Would the Synapse forum be better?

Also, how can I download the earlier version, new one is buggy and irritating on my system but I appear to be the only one affected.
Yes I'd try at the Synapse forums. I doubt they have time to keep up with this thread. Just to be clear you're on a Mac right ?

I couldn't reproduce the issue on my studio computer either. I probably have an earlier version installer but it will be the Windows version so won't do you any good.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ok,I'll sign up over there.

Yes, problem happens in both Logic and Live, AU and VST on my Mac.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:29 am So is there somewhere better suited for me to discuss the issue I reported before about patch browsing problems? Would the Synapse forum be better?

Also, how can I download the earlier version, new one is buggy and irritating on my system but I appear to be the only one affected.
I tried on my mac tonight in Cubase to replicate your browser issue (you had said you would be in one category then it would just browse into a new category without exhausting the original category?)... alas I couldn't replicate.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:53 am

I tried on my mac tonight in Cubase to replicate your browser issue (you had said you would be in one category then it would just browse into a new category without exhausting the original category?)... alas I couldn't replicate.
rsp
Yes, I first noticed in a new folder but does the same in a regular preset folder.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I get a little, er, impatient at times - understatement - so brute force led me to delete all my re-saved favourites (I hadn't changed the factory names of these presets so I think that might have been causing problems having them appear in 2 folders and some of them in 2 folders and the highlighted presets selection..?) and also deleting all the highlighted presets from the menu.

Problem 'solved' for now.

nm

ftr, Rich has said facebook is a reliable way to contact them, i understand he is quite active there (not on it myself)

so if you get no joy here or the official forum, maybe try that

of course, they do have a support email too, worth a try.

(usually if someone reports a bug here it will spotted by a tester and reported to beta forum too)

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:38 am
ftr, Rich has said facebook is a reliable way to contact them, i understand he is quite active there (not on it myself)

so if you get no joy here or the official forum, maybe try that

of course, they do have a support email too, worth a try.

(usually if someone reports a bug here it will spotted by a tester and reported to beta forum too)
Cheers.

Don't do FB either.

Found a workaround for this problem so seems all good now, for future would definitely post on SA forum or email.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm they don't want compromises either, so good luck with that archaic feature
Then maybe the archaic feature shouldn't have been included if it's so useless.
my thoughts exactly, but it was a quick bolt on very late in beta, hence the miniscule amount of dual/split patches in the factory bank
Did the beta testers bother to mention that it was useless? I mean I'm sure you of all people would have said something.
The current implementation of the Split feature is not really "useless" IMHO. You just have to figure out how to use the limitations properly. Once you realized that it is not just 2 fully independent patches you might get nice results with it. It is necessary to program Split and Dual patches in a way that both parts work properly with the global LFOs, mod matrix and FXs which is indeed possible.

For example if one part uses PWM in Osc 2 and you do want to use a static Square/Pulse (without PWM) in the other part you can simply use the Square/Pulse in Osc 1 of the other part.
Aftertouch and Modwheel modulations are similar for both parts so you have to choose one that works for both parts (e.g. vibrato).
Those "hints" do also work for the Dual mode.

As the Unison mode is global It's not possible to combine a polyphonic sound and an Unison Lead in a Split patch but both parts can use a different amount of Unison voices (e.g. 8 voices for one part and just a single voice for the other one). In Split mode Part A uses voices 1-4 (or 1-8 with 16 voices) and Part B voices 5-8 (or 9-16). With Unison off it is possible to use a Split with a pad a d a Lead where you might set the part with the Lead sound to a single voice to get it monophonic (by muting/deactivating the voices not needed).

A note about Legato:
A Legato mode is only included with Unison so if you need this play mode for a Lead sound you have to use the Unison mode. If you need a Lead with a single voice and legato you can do that by muting/deactivaing the Unison voices that are not needed for the patch. In Single mode you can reduce it to a single voice easily with right-clicking on the first voice in the "active/mute voice" section.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Besides what i just posted here are 3 options how to handle the Split mode in OBsession with your own patches:

1.) Use the Split mode "as is" including the existing limitations
2.) ignore the Split mode as it does not work in a way that you would like to have it working
3.) wait for an update that might improve it in a way that you prefer

From those options 3.) might never happen but there is always hope...
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:05 am
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm they don't want compromises either, so good luck with that archaic feature
Then maybe the archaic feature shouldn't have been included if it's so useless.
my thoughts exactly, but it was a quick bolt on very late in beta, hence the miniscule amount of dual/split patches in the factory bank
Did the beta testers bother to mention that it was useless? I mean I'm sure you of all people would have said something.
The current implementation of the Split feature is not really "useless" IMHO. You just have to figure out how to use the limitations properly. Once you realized that it is not just 2 fully independent patches you might get nice results with it. It is necessary to program Split and Dual patches in a way that both parts work properly with the global LFOs, mod matrix and FXs which is indeed possible.

For example if one part uses PWM in Osc 2 and you do want to use a static Square/Pulse (without PWM) in the other part you can simply use the Square/Pulse in Osc 1 of the other part.
Aftertouch and Modwheel modulations are similar for both parts so you have to choose one that works for both parts (e.g. vibrato).
Those "hints" do also work for the Dual mode.

As the Unison mode is global It's not possible to combine a polyphonic sound and an Unison Lead in a Split patch but both parts can use a different amount of Unison voices (e.g. 8 voices for one part and just a single voice for the other one). In Split mode Part A uses voices 1-4 (or 1-8 with 16 voices) and Part B voices 5-8 (or 9-16). With Unison off it is possible to use a Split with a pad a d a Lead where you might set the part with the Lead sound to a single voice to get it monophonic (by muting/deactivating the voices not needed).

A note about Legato:
A Legato mode is only included with Unison so if you need this play mode for a Lead sound you have to use the Unison mode. If you need a Lead with a single voice and legato you can do that by muting/deactivaing the Unison voices that are not needed for the patch. In Single mode you can reduce it to a single voice easily with right-clicking on the first voice in the "active/mute voice" section.
Thanks. All of this I pretty much figured out through brute force trying things. Still, simple things like pad/lead split with unison lead are impossible. You have limitations. There is no way around it. Not saying you can't make split patches. But very few that I would feel good about including in a library for sale.

It is what it is and I'm moving on. No sense beating a dead horse.

maybe the horse is taking a nap. try kicking it a few times :shrug: :oops:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Ingonator wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:05 am A note about Legato:
A Legato mode is only included with Unison
Except it is not, envelopes restart on every new note even if they're overlapping. As far as I can tell, there is no legato mode on Obsession, just mono mode.

urosh wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:18 pm
Ingonator wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:05 am A note about Legato:
A Legato mode is only included with Unison
Except it is not, envelopes restart on every new note even if they're overlapping. As far as I can tell, there is no legato mode on Obsession, just mono mode.
A made a bunch of Bass and Lead sounds that use the Unison mode (with between 1 and 8 voices) and that i can play legato style. It even works when i simply add Unison in the Init patch. Of course it can also retriger there but not if you hold the previous note while playing the next one like it should be done with legato playing.
In polyphonic mode it indeed always retriggers with each new note that is played.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

I am with urosh.
I just played a bunch of your unison patches and indeed I couldnt' find legato mode in any of them. The envelope retriggers for each new note.

Would you like to give me the name of any that shows legato?
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”