Pulsar 900 Series

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
900 Series Modular Synthesizer

^^^ Fully agreed.
1. Facebook is (not only) for me a no go because of different reasons.
2. There's a lot of (partially quite good sounding) competition on the modular field and/or on the semi modular analogue synth field.
3. Yes, Cinebient is a fierce ambassador for P900, but he's more or less the only one. That means, there's no dedicated broad fan base who buys for what price ever.
4. Your company is a newcomer with potential upside of being flexible and creative, but with the downside of the risk to vanish suddenly (happened often enough in the past).
Looking forward to your further development.
Good luck!

We will post in this forum next time. Our main beta testers where hardcore P900 users; because we needed people who know the P900 inside out, to let us know if we nailed the same organic feel and sound.
You might have noticed that a high percentage of plugins these days have the same sound, behavior/character and only differ in GUI. The reason being, recycled publicly available DSP code/libraries. Peter has spent nearly 3 years working on this masterpiece. It has a soul, it has character, it is organic. If I thought for a second that other free or expensive soft synths can do what p900 does, then I wouldn’t have gone to the hall of Valhalla to bring back the P900.
Here is a recent review, where P900 was voted number one soft synth.
https://www.heavyweightbass.net/index.p ... t-plugins/
https://www.pulsarmodular.com/
Pulsar Modular
The Sound is... UNBELIEVABLE!

P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm You might have noticed that a high percentage of plugins these days have the same sound, behavior/character and only differ in GUI.
This is demonstratably untrue.
P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pmThe reason being, recycled publicly available DSP code/libraries.
Any self-respecting plugin developer would do his/hers own DSP. And there are a lot of those out there. So, yeah. My advice would be - lay off the ridiculously overgeneralized statements. It doesn't do you any good.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, a bold statement. But P900 was very nice last time I checked. I hope it was available so I can test it again.

Being super-expensive is going to dampen my enthusiasm for P-900 modular. But if it comes out for Windows, I'll at least take a look (assuming it has a demo and works on Win 7).

One thing I categorically refuse to do, however, is partake in a subscription licensing model.
A well-behaved signature.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:53 pm
P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm You might have noticed that a high percentage of plugins these days have the same sound, behavior/character and only differ in GUI.
This is demonstratably untrue.
P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pmThe reason being, recycled publicly available DSP code/libraries.
Any self-respecting plugin developer would do his/hers own DSP. And there are a lot of those out there. So, yeah. My advice would be - lay off the ridiculously overgeneralized statements. It doesn't do you any good.
I have to agree with ED on this. There are some plugin synths that sound similar but generally speaking P900 is incorrect. Note to P900: Please try and stay away from marketing bs a la plugin alliance, et al. It will sour your customer base. Stick with facts and down-to-earth marketing and it will go a long way towards revenue.

Also, the original P900 graphics were pretty bad. They have this ugly green cast over them. I was able to adjust them to be more neutral and balanced and now use my modified graphics in my copy of P900. If you want them I can send them but you might be working on a new GUI, maybe.

Most weird marketing I've ever seen... The product itself seems OK, but...

plexuss wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 pmAlso, the original P900 graphics were pretty bad. They have this ugly green cast over them. I was able to adjust them to be more neutral and balanced and now use my modified graphics in my copy of P900. If you want them I can send them but you might be working on a new GUI, maybe.
I agree about the graphics of the original P900 but the graphics of the Lunar Lander are a total mess. It has a mixture of 3D and flat elements thrown together. There are some knobs and switches that are taken from the synth and they are 3D (actually photos) the rest are flat, there are (3D) screws all over the place and instead of having something to separate the three modules more clearly there is this heavily rasterized image of the lunar lander which is in the way of everything else. Maybe it is a matter of taste but to me it just seems sloppy. I'd rather have the original P900 graphics instead of this.
Yorgos Simeonidis

This is the luxury and great advantage of designing tools for your own pleasure and utilization, and if they sell then that’s great. I wanted a cyborg feel; a mix of organic and graphics co-existing. And yes, many have voiced their dissatisfaction with the design, but equally others did like it as refreshingly unique.
Man this is a heavy grit sandpaper forum. While I do appreciate the input from this forum thread, I am hesitant now to express my opinion or direction.
Pulsar Modular

P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 pm This is the luxury and great advantage of designing tools for your own pleasure and utilization, and if they sell then that’s great. I wanted a cyborg feel; a mix of organic and graphics co-existing. And yes, many have voiced their dissatisfaction with the design, but equally others did like it as refreshingly unique.
Man this is a heavy grit sandpaper forum. While I do appreciate the input from this forum thread, I am hesitant now to express my opinion or direction.
Be very afraid. You will get love. You will get hate. How thick is your skin?

If I were a dev, I'd not post here. It's impossible to satisfy everyone. Music and audio are inherently highly subjective areas. My advice would be to back away slowly. :borg:

P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm We will post in this forum next time. Our main beta testers where hardcore P900 users; because we needed people who know the P900 inside out, to let us know if we nailed the same organic feel and sound.
You might have noticed that a high percentage of plugins these days have the same sound, behavior/character and only differ in GUI. The reason being, recycled publicly available DSP code/libraries. Peter has spent nearly 3 years working on this masterpiece. It has a soul, it has character, it is organic. If I thought for a second that other free or expensive soft synths can do what p900 does, then I wouldn’t have gone to the hall of Valhalla to bring back the P900.
Here is a recent review, where P900 was voted number one soft synth.
https://www.heavyweightbass.net/index.p ... t-plugins/
Of course you should do what you want to do. I appreciate people and developers who follow their own vision.

I do think there is value in having some betatesters who don't think P900 is the best thing ever. It gives a wider perspective. Only having people who agree with something tends to create a self fulfilling circle.

I have frequented KVR and Gearslutz for some years and there are regular questions about which software synths sound the most analog. That solicits lots of replies and from those replies P900 is not frequently put at or near the top. I am not making this point to argue where P900 deserves to be on the list, just that it does not receive the universal acclaim that you seem to indicate. That could be for a variety of reasons including small user base.

As for emulating analog, I have 7 analog synths in my studio and they can/do sound quite different from each other. I'd say it is not possible to declare a 'best' analog sounding softsynth cause analog itself can sound so different. Also, there are a number of world class developers when it comes to sounding 'analog' and sounding really good.

My favorite synth (software or hardware) is Bazille. It can sound so dynamically alive, visceral and organic. As good in those qualities as any of my analog synths. But it is not an analog emulation and goes to places that no analog can.

My point being that lots of users (I expect the majority of them) aren't looking for the 'ultimate' analog emulation as such. It is a niche market with a lot of competition. I don't have P900 cause I use Bitwig on a Mac and it doesn't support AU. I'll give it consideration if a new version I can use comes out. However, I already have a lot of modular synthesis and me buying it is not a foregone conclusion. It would have to prove itself extremely reliable with a very good workflow. And there is no chance I would buy a subscription.

P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 pm but equally others did like it as refreshingly unique.
Yeah, blind people probably.

i can't sleep without your comments.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:41 am
P900 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 pm but equally others did like it as refreshingly unique.
Yeah, blind people probably.
Critical people are often not aware that they are being critical, because their criticisms are a projection of their own issues onto someone else. So, if they’re already unwilling to engage in self-awareness and self healing, chances are you lashing out at them is not going to change that.”

It’s also not helpful to stay silent. That’s because a critical person may misinterpret your silence as acceptance, and “criticize even more because they assume they’re being helpful.”
Pulsar Modular

Must be something in the water

Return to “Instruments”