Anyone else excited for what Ableton has been working on?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seriously. It's been well over a year since the last point update. It must be something good.

In this thread we make educated guesses on upcoming features. I'll start:

- A keyboard shortcut for the note legato button. :pray:

Mostly everything else I've gotten adjusted to. I think if I could get anything, it would be

- actual fader knobs instead of the triangles.
- a better mixer.
- midi improvements
Yo.

Hopefully it's MPE capable at least. It's weird that the DAW named for performance, does not support without a script or painful busy work MPE?

I've wanted a keyboard shortcut for the MIDI editor full screen forever, but after they added dual monitor support without the ability to detach the piano roll onto another screen I gave up.

I don't expect anything from them because they're quiet though, they do that for years on end sometimes.

Rainbow-coloured piano keys :party:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Have you tried REA . . . , oh never mind
Say NO to CLAP!

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 am Hopefully it's MPE capable at least. It's weird that the DAW named for performance, does not support without a script or painful busy work MPE?
I've wanted a keyboard shortcut for the MIDI editor full screen forever, but after they added dual monitor support without the ability to detach the piano roll onto another screen I gave up.

I don't expect anything from them because they're quiet though, they do that for years on end sometimes.

I am not holding my breath...betas don’t seem to come out very often and it’s not in the current beta.

I don’t think Live was ever designed for expressive performance, it was originally built around playing from a laptop without even needing a midi controller and the original launchpad were just on off buttons...I am always amazed by how few Live patches and provided sounds even support aftertouch...

Live is strong at launching clips, for everything else I think it is a long way behind, so most updates with just be catching up, but by the time they do that everyone else has moved on! Bitwig now has the Grid in place (which has been done incredibly well) so in addition to the regular updates which are really solidify workflow you have to wonder what Bitwig 4 will look like...If they add effective comping and more midi and audio editing tools I think even more live users will move (some probably did to Logic) so Ableton really need to up there game...they are no longer the only options do people are realising they may not be the best option.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 am I am not holding my breath...betas don’t seem to come out very often and it’s not in the current beta.
They have private / closed beta's too. The public beta's have been quiet with only small, almost inconsequential changes. I wouldn't be surprised if something bigger were being worked on privately.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Double Post
Last edited by mcnelson on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2

I just wait for the basic non fancy stuff,

Bounce in Place
Multiple region fade, trim
Note split
True de-active and Hide Tracks
Folder tracks that don't become giant with lots of tracks in them
Better browser with Tag system...

MIDI arm/disarm track on select would be nice.

As would track-specific MIDI assignments, so I can use the same MIDI knobs to control different instruments depending on what tracks are selected (like Cubase's Quick Controls).

concealed identity wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:43 am MIDI arm/disarm track on select would be nice.

As would track-specific MIDI assignments, so I can use the same MIDI knobs to control different instruments depending on what tracks are selected (like Cubase's Quick Controls).
If you mean record arm on track selection, you can do that by options.txt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

andypryce wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:35 am I just wait for the basic non fancy stuff,

Bounce in Place
Note split
Yeah, that's pretty much a perfect feature set. Seems realistic as well.

I would add:

- Show plugin inserts in mixer (and no, the Options.txt hack is an ugly workaround).

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 am Hopefully it's MPE capable at least. It's weird that the DAW named for performance, does not support without a script or painful busy work MPE?
afaik it doesn't even support poly aftertouch at the moment

Stupid double posts; man, I need caffeine.

But yeah, have faith. 9.5 surprised us all as it came out of the blue. I'm sure the guys are cooking up something cool.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2

Vladislav_Gronk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:49 am
andypryce wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:35 am I just wait for the basic non fancy stuff,

Bounce in Place
Note split
Yeah, that's pretty much a perfect feature set. Seems realistic as well.

I would add:

- Show plugin inserts in mixer (and no, the Options.txt hack is an ugly workaround).
I didn't even know about that but just tried it using this:

https://resoundsound.com/ableton-live-s ... on-tracks/

and it doesn't seem to work as it describes on that site - I can see little orange circles to enable or disable a device but the device names are not showing so it's useless

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”