Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

D.Wako wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 am I hear Best Service is run by really hot German chicks. At least that's what i like to think. :-D
You'll be floored to know that it's run by Bavarians.

:ud:

-DP-
Last edited by SLiC on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

graspee wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm There really isn't $150 worth of value in the update. If it had been released as Studio one 4.7 it would have been a good update but as 5.0 it's really not. And bear in mind I'm saying this as someone who finds value in the music notation view; if you personally don't then it's likely there's nothing for you here.
I couldn't disagree more, the score side is about the only thing I didn't particularly need! (I have Notation)

I'm happy with what I paid ($123), I will actually use mix scenes, MPE, the clip gain envelopes, hardware aux channels, key switch articulation and the integrated notation, not so arsed about show page, but maybe it will become more useful, it seems like it was going to be a 'clip launcher'/live performance tool and will probably still end up that way....

Also remember, for that 120 bucks I will get 'for free' 4.1, 4.2, 4.2, 4.4, 4.5 etc...seems like good value to me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

$150 is really too much though. At least for me. It's quite a insane upgrade price, when you consider that it's 37.5 % of the new price.

And, especially when you consider what people who upgrade from Studio One 1 get, and what people who upgrade from Studio One 4.6 get, for the same price!

Anyway, it is what it is. No upgrading here anytime soon, if ever.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:32 pm $150 is really too much though. At least for me. It's quite a insane upgrade price, when you consider that it's 37.5 % of the new price.

And, especially when you consider what people who upgrade from Studio One 1 get, and what people who upgrade from Studio One 4.6 get, for the same price!

Anyway, it is what it is. No upgrading here anytime soon, if ever.
Yup- this is the same with all software- Upgrade from Komplete 9 to 13 and you get a ton of stuff, 12 to 13 not so much- same cost...Arturia Collection 4 to 7- loads of new synths, 6 to 7...just a few additions. If you can wait, the value is increased....but you miss out on all that time actually using it (I am a big MPE fan and have an Osmose on order...I need that MPE feature!)

That said Melodyne Studio 4 to 5 was 150 bucks (same price as 3 -5!)and that one I can wait for the sales on!

in the same boat... far too pricey for what is there for me. only like listen bus, poly and mix state and those alone don't constitute the asking price. will see what black friday sales have on offer. at least that will give it time to diagnose and remedy the bugs. :) cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Exactly my thoughts. :)

They have added
Notation
MPE/Poly Aftertouch
Expression Maps
Mixer and Arrangement scenes
Listen Bus
External Instrument Tracks
A brand new Show Page feature
And lots of workflow improvements

I wonder if these features are not enough to call it V5 or $150 upgrade what would? I am genuinely asking. What would you pay $150 for? Personally I am not excited about this update too much but I don't get why this shouldn't be a V5 or $150. I believe both the version number and asking price is fair for this amount of hard work.
Also if you do not like what is added anyway then it does not matter if it is $15 or $150.

Personally I haven't come across any bugs or issues yet after the first few days (and I am not seeming anything significant reported on the forums about bugs)- seem like a very stable release :tu:

andypryce wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:38 pm I wonder if these features are not enough to call it V5 or $150 upgrade what would? I am genuinely asking. What would you pay $150 for? P
I pay $150 for Cubase Artist, when I upgrade from AI. That's a whole DAW, which probably has even more features than Studio One.

Again, it's absolutely their decision what they charge for the upgrade. I just wonder why they don't just take 79 € for the upgrade, make it a no-brainer, and get most people to upgrade. As I mentioned, 150 € is about 37.5 % of the new price. A bit much IMO.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:46 pm I pay $150 for Cubase Artist, when I upgrade from AI. That's a whole DAW, which probably has even more features than Studio One.
Cubase Artist has a limit of 64 Audio tracks and 32 VST Instrument tracks, no ARA 2.0 support and different other limited features.
Studio One Artist for 99$ retail price (no upgrade) has unlimited tracks and ARA 2.0 support, for example.

I didn't compare Cubase Artist to Studio One Artist. Also, Cubase Artist has a lot of features that even the Pro version of Studio One doesn't have.

All that I was saying is that the Studio One upgrade from Pro to Pro costs as much as it would switching to another DAW. I don't see any loyalty bonus for people who bought every upgrade of Pro so far. Or any benefit from upgrading from a former version, in comparison to upgrading from the very first version, which gives you loads of new features, unlike upgrading from a former version. That's all.

If I was in Presonus Software's place (god forbid ;)), I'd probably do incremental upgrade prices, just like Steinberg does. That seems to be the most sensible way of getting everyone on board.

Anyway, that's all I have to say to this really. I don't want to derail the thread with my perceptions of how I would do it in their place.

Cubase Pro also don't have many features, Studio One 5 Pro has. What the point saying DAW1 have many features over DAW2?
Ableton 9 to 10 upgrade charged 300$ and everybody happy. Studio One 5 is mature DAW and i don't see problem to pay upgrade price of 129$. You can wait 4-6 years and then upgrade for the same price and get loads of features.
chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:22 pm I didn't compare Cubase Artist to Studio One Artist. Also, Cubase Artist has a lot of features that even the Pro version of Studio One doesn't have.

All that I was saying is that the Studio One upgrade from Pro to Pro costs as much as it would switching to another DAW. I don't see any loyalty bonus for people who bought every upgrade of Pro so far. Or any benefit from upgrading from a former version, in comparison to upgrading from the very first version, which gives you loads of new features, unlike upgrading from a former version. That's all.

If I was in Presonus Software's place (god forbid ;)), I'd probably do incremental upgrade prices, just like Steinberg does. That seems to be the most sensible way of getting everyone on board.

Anyway, that's all I have to say to this really. I don't want to derail the thread with my perceptions of how I would do it in their place.

Stan Navi wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm You can wait 4-6 years and then upgrade for the same price and get loads of features.
At the moment, it seems like that is exactly what I'll be doing. Just doesn't make sense to shell out so much money for nothing I'm really after.

Since the once-per major version upgrade price includes all the feature updates that will be added in the point releases, folks can wait to upgrade until a point release comes along (e.g. 5.3) that compels him/her to upgrade.

And if a point release does not compel one to upgrade, then there is always the power of Christ:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”