Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

zvenx wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:41 pm I am with urosh.
I just played a bunch of your unison patches and indeed I couldnt' find legato mode in any of them. The envelope retriggers for each new note.

Would you like to give me the name of any that shows legato?
rsp
By playing legato i mean holding the previous note while playing the next note?.Of course if i just play the next note without holding the previous one i get a retrigger.

Maybe we also have a different understanding of what playing legato style means but the behavior in Unison mode is for sure differnt from that in the polyphonic mode which indeed always retriggers each new note.

Example patches from my own factory presets are e.g. "Ultrasaw Lead IW" in the "Leads" folder and "Sizzle Lead IW" in the "Vintage" folder (which also contains some other Lead sounds from me).
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Just tried those.
nope.
Two simplest ways to tell you what I mean by Legato (and every synth I have played, hardware or software for the past 44 years)......

Either as you say hold one note whilst playing another, but for me the simplest test is always a glissando, easiest give way if it is or not.

Go to Legend, choose any patch put it on mono or unison, do a glissando or hold one note as you play another... turn to the back panel and change it from legato to retrigger and back and forth, you clearly would hear the difference.

What Obsession does is retrigger.

I don't believe the original had a legato mode either.
rsp
sound sculptist

Just compared to Legend with a more percussive sound where a retrigger is more obvious. In that case the behavior is indeed different to legato in The Legend but it is also not the same as in the polyphonic mode.

Maybe for some of the Lead sounds i used the retrigger was not so obvious than with a more percussive sound.

Still for Lead sounds i prefer the behavior in the Unsion over that in the polyphonic mode.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Interesting...... I just did my tests....and indeed some of your patches show legato but other unison patches like KS's don't.

Let me get to the bottom of this.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:51 pm Interesting...... I just did my tests....and indeed some of your patches show legato but other unison patches like KS's don't.

Let me get to the bottom of this.
rsp
I admit i am a bit confused too as certain Lead sounds indeed seem to show legato while more "percussive" sounds do retrigger. In The Legend also such percussive sounds do show legato.

First i thought the Portamento in some patches might be some reason but without those still sound like legato for me.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

I too wondered if it was the portamento knob but that wasn't it.
Then I tried giving the percussive a much higher attack and that wasn't quite it.
Then I disabled some of the Unison voices and that brought it closer to explain why to me, thus far anyway. (nope wasn't this either)
rsp
sound sculptist

Anyway, it is what it is..... My OB was for pads and brass mostly..... don't ever recall using it to 'shred' like I would a minimoog or do it for glissando bass slides in synth basses like I would a minimoog.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm Go to Legend, choose any patch put it on mono or unison, do a glissando or hold one note as you play another... turn to the back panel and change it from legato to retrigger and back and forth, you clearly would hear the difference.

rsp
Yes correct, the envelopes are retriggered. An optional legato mode without retrigger as in The Legend is on the todo list though for an update, it should be a useful addition. :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:07 pm
zvenx wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm Go to Legend, choose any patch put it on mono or unison, do a glissando or hold one note as you play another... turn to the back panel and change it from legato to retrigger and back and forth, you clearly would hear the difference.

rsp
Yes correct, the envelopes are retriggered. An optional legato mode without retrigger as in The Legend is on the todo list though for an update, it should be a useful addition. :)

Richard
Great :).
Thanks

Now is as good a time as any to admit that I am quite enjoying a lot of Kevin's patches. Once I stop expecting them to take me down Oberheim Memory Lane, they really are ear candy.....
Really Good Job Kevin S.
rsp
sound sculptist

Not really sure what an OB is supposed to sound like but KS patches do sound pretty ace.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

rsp

Richard
Good review from Starsky Carr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCykql1qW-w
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

What is Synapse Audio’s license policy like? Can you activate and reactivate your licenses yourself? I love what I hear with this one and I’m thinking of investing in some of their stuff next.

revvy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:19 am Not really sure what an OB is supposed to sound like but KS patches do sound pretty ace.
Yes they are great, they are not trying to be too emulative but just discover musical sounds

v1o wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pmGood review from Starsky Carr
I'm sorry but a good review is not 38 minutes long. 8 minutes, maybe, although 4 or 5 should be plenty.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

v1o wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm

rsp

Richard
Good review from Starsky Carr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCykql1qW-w
Thanks, good review, I enjoyed it.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Instruments”