/* whitenoise */

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

They expect people to buy with only video examples. I would expect either a demo or money back guarantee.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's just my opinion but in this crowded market, having a demo is common business sense. Other companies who do not have a demo, offer a money back guarantee. Those with nothing, I skip totally. If they can make a plugin, they can make a demo. Also, their video does not illustrate use on any of my type of material. If it had a demo, I would've definitely given it consideration since it looks interesting. However, it doesn't look $20 gamble interesting. $5, yeah I'll take a gamble.

that gui is ballsy. i like it!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

GUI is fresh! No Demo is not so good, but they did have a Sale for the other Thingy a While ago, like $10 or something. That might be tempting for some, yet something to Try out & then being able to decide, if you want to support them, would be even better.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

I went ahead and got it and I think it's quite worth $20. You can push and pull it in differebt ways, go clean or heavy on a variety of sounds and despite the range of possibilities, it's easy to dial in what you want. A demo would be nice though. Good job guys-

PS The gui makes me think of the opening credits of Something Wild. Which is great!

JoaquinAce wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:52 pm It's just my opinion but in this crowded market, having a demo is common business sense. Other companies who do not have a demo, offer a money back guarantee. Those with nothing, I skip totally. If they can make a plugin, they can make a demo. Also, their video does not illustrate use on any of my type of material. If it had a demo, I would've definitely given it consideration since it looks interesting. However, it doesn't look $20 gamble interesting. $5, yeah I'll take a gamble.
El°HYM wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:22 pm GUI is fresh! No Demo is not so good, but they did have a Sale for the other Thingy a While ago, like $10 or something. That might be tempting for some, yet something to Try out & then being able to decide, if you want to support them, would be even better.
Hey everyone! Ben from Aberrant here, thanks for the interest and support. I wanted to chime in on the demo thing since it's something we've considered doing and may pursue, but demand hasn't previously been high enough to justify the extra support and development effort it'd take. Since we don't use any copy-protection mechanisms, we'd have to make a separate non-fully-functional version of our plugins that would act as a demo. This would mean something like having a version that goes silent for 1 second every 10 seconds. What are your thoughts on this? Are there other methods of demo-izing plugins that work well without allowing the demo to replace the full version?

I'd love to here what you guys think, it would be a big help in deciding if and how we'd develop demos for our plugins. Thanks!

Ok, I didnt know that as I also dont own any of your products. So then we can leave a Moneyback - option out of consideration, too. A Demo - version would still make sense, imo as this could still be a little Barrier to cross over.

Other than that, more 'in - depth' Vids for the Plugs would also make sense. People normally want to see/hear what they will get & on a 'side - note'... I dont even want to know how many just buy it, after reading some of the positive comments etc. - But, yes! Mos Def would be cool to have a Demo, too!
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

aberrantdsp wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 am
JoaquinAce wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:52 pm It's just my opinion but in this crowded market, having a demo is common business sense. Other companies who do not have a demo, offer a money back guarantee. Those with nothing, I skip totally. If they can make a plugin, they can make a demo. Also, their video does not illustrate use on any of my type of material. If it had a demo, I would've definitely given it consideration since it looks interesting. However, it doesn't look $20 gamble interesting. $5, yeah I'll take a gamble.
El°HYM wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:22 pm GUI is fresh! No Demo is not so good, but they did have a Sale for the other Thingy a While ago, like $10 or something. That might be tempting for some, yet something to Try out & then being able to decide, if you want to support them, would be even better.
Hey everyone! Ben from Aberrant here, thanks for the interest and support. I wanted to chime in on the demo thing since it's something we've considered doing and may pursue, but demand hasn't previously been high enough to justify the extra support and development effort it'd take. Since we don't use any copy-protection mechanisms, we'd have to make a separate non-fully-functional version of our plugins that would act as a demo. This would mean something like having a version that goes silent for 1 second every 10 seconds. What are your thoughts on this? Are there other methods of demo-izing plugins that work well without allowing the demo to replace the full version?

I'd love to here what you guys think, it would be a big help in deciding if and how we'd develop demos for our plugins. Thanks!
Sound drop-outs can be pretty annoying, especially at the rate you're suggesting. ValhallaDSP drop 1 second for every 45, as far as i remember.

Other options include plugin time-out and audio-watermarking:

Plugin time-out allows a certain time period of usage before requiring the plugin to be removed and re-instantiated. Pretty sure that NI still have theirs set a 30 minutes.

Audio-watermarking is the inclusion of some kind of sound, every so often. Some developers think that blasting potential buyers with loud or annoyingly-pitched sounds is a good tactic. However, there really is no need to use an offensive noise, as the only purpose is to make any audio rendering impossible. Obnoxious audio watermarks usually have me deleting the plugin before the third blast :shrug:

A good implementation of audio-watermarking can be found in u-he's plugins, which introduce a soft static sound, every so often (Pretty sure the first minute is without the watermarking, after which it sounds every 45 seconds...or something similar).

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Love to see how artistic it is all the way through. How it looks and how it sounds. Definitely seems like a project from the heart, rather than a plugin just to beef up the "company's library".

When it comes to the demo, I can definitely see why it's not a thing at the current moment with the given info. I would assume the most realistic approach with keeping minimising effort in mind, would be the "mute every x seconds" approach, as creating a full fledged mini version might as well be seen as creating a mini product in itself.
Take care :wink:

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

aberrantdsp wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 am I'd love to here what you guys think, it would be a big help in deciding if and how we'd develop demos for our plugins. Thanks!
Generally I think it turns out to be worth the investment to release a somehow constrained version as a demo because that will almost definitely translate to extra sales, as long as the demo doesn't suck 😃. Seriously though, you guys have been putting out awesome stuff so I'm sure demos would help sales.

I'm a huge fan of SketchCassette, and loving this one so far too. Top notch distortion on both! Just one tiny feature request, it would be great to have left/right arrows on the preset dropdown to quickly flick through presets without opening the drop down menu and mousing 🙌🏼

Anyway keep up the awesome work! Psyched for the big SketchCassette update that I heard is on the way.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 am
aberrantdsp wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 am

Sound drop-outs can be pretty annoying, especially at the rate you're suggesting. ValhallaDSP drop 1 second for every 45, as far as i remember.

Other options include plugin time-out and audio-watermarking:

Plugin time-out allows a certain time period of usage before requiring the plugin to be removed and re-instantiated. Pretty sure that NI still have theirs set a 30 minutes.

Audio-watermarking is the inclusion of some kind of sound, every so often. Some developers think that blasting potential buyers with loud or annoyingly-pitched sounds is a good tactic. However, there really is no need to use an offensive noise, as the only purpose is to make any audio rendering impossible. Obnoxious audio watermarks usually have me deleting the plugin before the third blast :shrug:

A good implementation of audio-watermarking can be found in u-he's plugins, which introduce a soft static sound, every so often (Pretty sure the first minute is without the watermarking, after which it sounds every 45 seconds...or something similar).
I agree, noise bursts or sound dropouts are hellishly annoying in demo versions.
My favorite demo limitation is no preset and settings recall, like Toneboosters or Tokyo Dawn plugins e.g. You can use the plugin with no restrictions, but if you reopen your sessions, the plugin state goes back to default.
Yes, theoretically people could dial in the sound again (like in ye olde analog days) or always render in place/freeze, so you’re not hundred percent on the safe side, but that’d be a workflow killer for most people.

The UI reminds me of old children’s books from the likes of Eric Carle or Leo Lionni, which is nice for nostalgia, but I’m not sure how that translates to DAW workflows and how distracting on the eye it can be when searching for the right button to use.
That is one of the most important factors for having a demo version for me. Pretty much all plugins today sound good or great, all are usable , but my decision of buying is just as much dependent on how the plugins feels when using it, if I can work quickly, if things like mouse/knob acceleration works for me and so on. In short, I want to make sure it fits my very personal workflow.

Return to “Effects”