Whats are the good entry/mid level active speakers?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
As above. I have some Bose companion 5s and they distort when I play Vsts through them. Any recommendations on a decent, but not too expensive set of active monitors?

Depends on your room, if you need compact speakers, IK Multimedia Micro's are great choice, if you have big enough room, Fluid Audio FX8/FX80 definitely. (FX80 are updated version, but they sound very similar, FX80 have additional room correction controls and etc)

They distort? Never liked Bose speakers, but they should not distort.

What happens if you turn down master volume of yourd DAW and turn up volume on the last amp in the chain?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

what budget?
these are excellent value JBL LSR305P MKII and are sometimes on sale
for a bit more ADAM T5V 2-Way 5" Nearfield Active Studio Monitors

but both of those may be way more than you can spend, in which case have you thought about good quality headphones? Probably $100 or so will get you headphones that are surprisingly good

The right hand speaker distorts, but no the left, so it might be the cone going as it's not clipping on the mixer.
I've got decent headphones at the moment Senheissers, but want to upgrade the monitors.

My budget is £500 (uk) so $700. I do have some old Roland DS7s around but want to get something more up to date.

for 500 you can get something decent - the small Genelec 8010 or Adam A3x - you might have supply issues at the moment tho, but for that money a small high quality speaker setup is possible. I use larger Adams but would have no trouble if I had to go for the smaller Adams or Genelecs, particularly if you are just in a normal household environment.

ok thanks forr the advice. Will look these up.

handshaker wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:10 pm ok thanks forr the advice. Will look these up.
you will notice a huge difference going from those Bose to the Adam's or Genelec's in particular.

The Presonus ERIS 3.5 have been getting good reviews.

I worked many years with Focal monitors, their price was around 2.000 Euro and I had mid class Adam and Genelec monitors before. Meanwhile I'm using a 20 years old Technics compact system, I bought for 150 Euro and today I buy a second one for 80 Euro as a replacement, if one makes problems. I tell you this, because cheap monitors are still more expensive than good old (!) Hifi systems, but that Hifi systems are much better from the sound and frequencies and I also master my music on such systems and it sounds good! :D

Evan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:00 am The Presonus ERIS 3.5 have been getting good reviews.
TBH, I already find my 5" JBL 305 LSR's borderline in regards of bass playback...

clipnotic wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 am I worked many years with Focal monitors, their price was around 2.000 Euro and I had mid class Adam and Genelec monitors before. Meanwhile I'm using a 20 years old Technics compact system, I bought for 150 Euro and today I buy a second one for 80 Euro as a replacement, if one makes problems. I tell you this, because cheap monitors are still more expensive than good old (!) Hifi systems, but that Hifi systems are much better from the sound and frequencies and I also master my music on such systems and it sounds good! :D
You know what? I can definitely relate to that. :) Sometimes I find flat neutral playback systems downright boring.

On the other hand, most hi-fi systems simply swallow, or mush up some frequency ranges. Or don't display the stereo field as nice.

Yes, not every hifi systems is good for that, some of them are pushing frequencies with FX and so on! It's important, that they have a flat mode! That one I'm using at the moment has a flat button and the soundprocessor with FX and bass boost is a own module with a own on/off button. If I'm mixing I always use the flat mode without the soundprocessor and if it sounds good, then I also try with FX and the sound processor. So I have different sound circumstances in one system.

But the big difference is, that such Hifi systems often bring more frequencies in the flat mode, especially in the bottom, than mid class studio speakers! You can see that, if you read the datasheets of studio speakers, the most of them have much gaps in the frequency band. So you have always test your music on different systems, although you paid much money for them!

Kali Audio LP-6.. Simply awesome..

Cravenstein wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:38 am Kali Audio LP-6.. Simply awesome..
+1
i don't think there are better speakers at that price point.
T5V certainly aint it :D

Yamaha HS7 come close and have other qualities, but they're not as full and open.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”