oeksound soothe alternative without ilok?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kazi7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:47 am Sounds good. One question: after purchase, will Nova GE be registered to PluginFox user account or will it be registered over at the Tokyo Dawn site? I personally prefer the latter, since the Tokyo Dawn guys seem more reliable and trustworthy to me. Everything they do is on point, well thought out and proper.
You get your redeem code, activate it on TDR site and now you have the plugin in your TDR account

What about Voxengo Soniformer? Mature software, currently on sale.

https://www.voxengo.com/product/soniformer/

Nova GE is fantastic and certainly worth having, but the de-resonate process isn't quite the same as what Soothe does. Nova is detecting the 6 highest resonant peaks in an offline analysis, then creating a static dynamic band for each. Soothe's "bands" are constantly floating and can track moving resonances in realtime.

In practice, what Soothe does might be overkill for the job and Nova does give you more precise control as long as the resonance is static. But yeah, different processes :)
wavesfactory wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:43 am
Trackspacer can do that.

Just set the sidechain to a copy of the main signal, so basically it "listens" to itself. Then, use the built-in low-cut filter so it just attenuates the "resonances" and not the fundamental frequencies.

www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer
I'd be more intrigued by this - as from what I understand, Trackspacer has 32 dynamic bands under the hood? I'm going to to try this later!

@andymcbain

Yes, I know what you mean, even though "static-dynamic" is actually an oxymoron. What Nova GE does: it identifies the frequencies of potential resonances once and applies dynamic eqing to these fixed nodes in the frequency spectrum, whereas Soothe does constantly listen to the audio signal for resonances and adapt the eq parameters in realtime.

To me Nova GE is sufficent for that task, because say you have a signal with a unpleasant resonance and the signal is playing in different key pitches (which means that the position of the resonance in the frequency spectrum will also change): you just need to setup different nodes for the different pitches and the result will basically be the same to what Soothe does, just achieved in another way.

But I don't want to convince you (I'm not affiliated to Tokyo Dawn Labs in any way) and the Wavesfactory Trackspacer trick does also sound quite interesting to me. Trackspacer is a legendary plugin anyway - no doubt.

Kazi7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 pm @andymcbain

Yes, I know what you mean, even though "static-dynamic" is actually an oxymoron. What Nova GE does: it identifies the frequencies of potential resonances once and applies dynamic eqing to these fixed nodes in the frequency spectrum, whereas Soothe does constantly listen to the audio signal for resonances and adapt the eq parameters in realtime.

To me Nova GE is sufficent for that task, because say you have a signal with a unpleasant resonance and the signal is playing in different key pitches (which means that the position of the resonance in the frequency spectrum will also change): you just need to setup different nodes for the different pitches and the result will basically be the same to what Soothe does, just achieved in another way.

But I don't want to convince you (I'm not affiliated to Tokyo Dawn Labs in any way) and the Wavesfactory Trackspacer trick does also sound quite interesting to me. Trackspacer is a legendary plugin anyway - no doubt.
Ha! Yes, you're right - "fixed" is correct. No need for convincing here, I have both and use both :)

Tbproaudio DSEQ much better the soothe in my opinion. Does the same thing,but sounds better and uses way less cpu in my tests.

damayor wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 pm Tbproaudio DSEQ much better the soothe in my opinion. Does the same thing,but sounds better and uses way less cpu in my tests.
I didn't even know this plugin existed. Nice find. :o

Ozone 9 Spectral Shaper. It's functionality resembles to DSEQ .

ttsakonas wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 am Ozone 9 Spectral Shaper. It's functionality resembles to DSEQ .
Pretty sure it targets transients, not resonant frequencies, like TDR De-edger? Definitely a very simple and clever processor though.

I'm wondering about EndeavorFX 'Unharsh' but that's iLok I think.

Also ToneBoosters Sibilance works in a similar kind of way to Soothe...

Re: Sknote SoundBrigade... hmmm not sure - not sure it's really "spectral" enough. How many filters does it have?

It's been a few years, so I'm wondering what else has come out that's in a similar vein to everything that's already been mentioned.
I don't think Baby Audio Smooth Operator was mentioned. I bought it but can't use it because of the glare. I wrote and asked if they could update it with a way to dim the colours of the UI, but I doubt it'll happen.

There's also been Voxengo TEOTE. Bought it, but again, not a huge fan of the blocky UI.

Ozone 10 was just released a few days ago, with something called a "stabilizer module" but there's very little info on it, so I'm not sure if it's a similar thing to Soothe or not. I own Ozone 9, but the vst3 doesn't play well graphically with my DAW

Anything else new out there that I've missed ?

2NDMOUSE wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:29 pm Anything else new out there that I've missed ?
Mastering the Mix have one called Reso which they describe as a 'Dynamic Resonance Suppressor', in other words, a Soothe competitor :)

I love Mastering the Mix (Bassroom / Reference especially) and I have all their stuff except for Reso. Once I got Soothe, I just never got tempted by anything else.

2NDMOUSE wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:29 pm Anything else new out there that I've missed ?
Mastering the Mix have one called Reso which they describe as a 'Dynamic Resonance Suppressor', in other words, a Soothe competitor :)

I love Mastering the Mix (Bassroom / Reference especially) and I have all their stuff except for Reso. Once I got Soothe, I just never got tempted by anything else.

I compared demo version of soothe to smooth operator and DSEQ.
I got faster and more natural results with smooth operator,
that's why I bought it

There is one from TDR Company, and also from Babyaudio smooth operator (cheeper one)

Return to “Effects”