KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki, No idea what music you are doing where you mind aliasing so much, but for me, in Techno it's a fitting synth. Just as bx_oberhausen, this is not bad at all.
As mentioned before, I'm no fan of some effects, especially Wave folder. Against u-he's Wave folder in Repro this sounds weak / aliased. But the main part of the synth is fine and not sounding too bad.

I support the petition to do more quality oversampling in effects and of course synths, but still this is a good synth and the aliasing problem is not as bad as I have heard it in other places.

Ploki wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:58 pm so i tested it
and it meh'd the f**k out off my drive
pros:
+decent fx
+unique hardware

cons:
-underwhelming
-garbage preset system
-questionable audio quality. Plugin Aliasing strikes again. Synapse and U-He run circles around this

thanks for listening to my podcast
more importantly, how do you say knifonium?

vurt wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 pm
more importantly, how do you say knifonium?
hard K like a true slav
also stop harassing me via pms
chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:17 pm The only thing I found not so good about the general sound quality is that it obviously doesn't do audio rate modulation. Apart from that, nothing to complain here. Aliasing? Ok, didn't notice any. :) There's no VA synth which doesn't alias though.
yeah i mean, it aliases more than repro/diva/legend

also, filter knob lags like ass

:lol:

Some of these responses to this synth really make me question people's systems/experience/ears/cognitive ability to understand synthesis lol

knifonium is wild

Zoopy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:23 am Some of these responses to this synth really make me question people's systems/experience/ears/cognitive ability to understand synthesis lol

knifonium is wild
maybe it's just taste, eh?

Hit the upper octaves with a Square or Saw on Knif and then on Diva/Repro/Legend.
wait not need, here's a clip:
https://we.tl/t-cA6MZytyhs
this is C6 - it's heard down to C4, yeah, that's middle C. it's not borderline useless "range" or whatever.
and obviously worse at 44.1k.
It sounds good at 192k tho, this garbage disappears completely. That's how i know this is another oversight by PA, not a design choice.

i have enough experience with tube gear that i know it doesn't mirror over nyquist lol

and you don't need a great system to hear that, you can hear it on f**king earpods. And yeah, it sounds horrible on my otherwise splendid monitoring system

yeah I think it's just taste

Zoopy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm yeah I think it's just taste
No, it's confirmation bias on your part.
Here's some reading for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

Aliasing is pretty objective and measurable, and knif aliases more so than other VA synths.

Also, filter-control lag is very measurable and real. You can't automate filter on this synth in any manner resembling an analog synth. Or in any decent performative manner compared to most other software synths.

Sure, you can run 40 instances instead of 10, but you get what you pay for and you get what your CPU works for.
PA won't acknowledge it like they never f**king do, which is a shame because otherwise it aint a bad synth.

edit: maybe you do like aliasing and "digital" sound this thing produces tho, I like it too. I bought bazille because I actually like this kind of sound - it's just not what I'd expect from a VA Tube design :D :D Also, i kinda prefer my synths to sound at least a little coherent across sampling rates. It's 2020, not too much to ask.

Haha yeah totally, I definitely prefer the first sound over the cleaner DIVA. I just love the interactions between controls in knif and after putting it through FX and more distortion and slicing it up, haven't really noticed anything other than it sounding f**king siiiiick

but also this is the kind of music i'm making so...
the first bass is Knif.
https://clyp.it/nkwqjr12

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:48 am
Zoopy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:23 am Some of these responses to this synth really make me question people's systems/experience/ears/cognitive ability to understand synthesis lol

knifonium is wild
maybe it's just taste, eh?

Hit the upper octaves with a Square or Saw on Knif and then on Diva/Repro/Legend.
wait not need, here's a clip:
https://we.tl/t-cA6MZytyhs
this is C6 - it's heard down to C4, yeah, that's middle C. it's not borderline useless "range" or whatever.
and obviously worse at 44.1k.
It sounds good at 192k tho, this garbage disappears completely. That's how i know this is another oversight by PA, not a design choice.

i have enough experience with tube gear that i know it doesn't mirror over nyquist lol

and you don't need a great system to hear that, you can hear it on f**king earpods. And yeah, it sounds horrible on my otherwise splendid monitoring system
I still wish to buy it (ok maybe not at $100 as I said earlier) and always thought of using it at much lower ranges anyway, but holy crap that was bad :hihi:

You also have to adjust for the gain staging weirdness to get a clean signal

Zoopy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:24 pm You also have to adjust for the gain staging weirdness to get a clean signal
? what gain staging :D mirroring is generally not affected by gainstaging, it can be exacerbated by driving a signal - but this is not what's happening here.
That was knif with bypassed FX and open filter. It doesn't matter how much signal you push into the filter, aliasing is proportional to the input signal.

funny tho
Some of these responses to this synth really make me question people's cognitive ability

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:21 pm ? what gain staging :D mirroring is generally not affected by gainstaging, it can be exacerbated by driving a signal - but this is not what's happening here.
Gainstaging is central to sound design in this synth. That's practically the whole point of the synth. You can overdrive some sections but not others depending on how you want the output to sound. As clipping-type distortion is generally a major source of aliasing in any processor, changes in how you apply this overdrive are clearly going to affect aliasing levels.

Yeah there's a section in the manual about it.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:21 pm ? what gain staging :D mirroring is generally not affected by gainstaging, it can be exacerbated by driving a signal - but this is not what's happening here.
Gainstaging is central to sound design in this synth. That's practically the whole point of the synth. You can overdrive some sections but not others depending on how you want the output to sound. As clipping-type distortion is generally a major source of aliasing in any processor, changes in how you apply this overdrive are clearly going to affect aliasing levels.
well in practice it doesnt :)

that's because you don't need to actually drive a saw or square wave to get a lot of harmonics.

edit:
thanks for the dislikes, feel free to prove me wrong.
here's a VCO level automate into the mixer:
https://we.tl/t-cUAf11fkYS

and in any case, tubes don't clip in the way to mirror frequencies over nyquist.

Return to “Instruments”