Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:22 pm Cubase Artist has a lot of features that even the Pro version of Studio One doesn't have.
Could You name a few? I'm curious. I tried to search the net but with poor results.

My point is, if You compare Pro-versions of Cubase and S1 then yes, Cubase wins for now.
But I'm not so sure that Cubase Artist is so rich in features, being crippled by Steinberg to not undermine their Pro version sales. And they want ~350$ for it new.
Otoh S1 Artist, which can be bought new for 100$, looks much less limited and more feature-rich than the Steinberg counterpart. But maybe I'm missing something.

Studio One 5 Artist seem to be fully featured, what's the catch? Anyone has a side by side feature comparison list between Pro and Artist version? Kind of hard to tell the way it's presented right now.
What ever!

Standard Artist used to be no VST support - only stock plugins.
So with an addon to that for VST you are halfway to Pro version.

StudioOne works as long as you don't record synths with knob tweaking realtime while recording. How they force all midi cc into automation simply don't work for that kind of job.

Pick any other daw - Cubase or Cakewalk - you have option to turn into automation - not in StudioOne though.

lfm wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 am Standard Artist used to be no VST support - only stock plugins.

StudioOne works as long as you don't record synths with knob tweaking realtime while recording. How they force all midi cc into automation simply don't work for that kind of job.

Pick any other daw - Cubase or Cakewalk - you have option to turn into automation - not in StudioOne though.
I tweek vst automation after they have been recorded. Surely one can then record vst automation?
What ever!

D.Wako wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 am Studio One 5 Artist seem to be fully featured, what's the catch? Anyone has a side by side feature comparison list between Pro and Artist version? Kind of hard to tell the way it's presented right now.
Just found this list here on kvr:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=546102&p=7827186#p7827186
What ever!

D.Wako wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:25 am
lfm wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 am Standard Artist used to be no VST support - only stock plugins.

I tweek vst automation after they have been recorded. Surely one can then record vst automation?
I ran StudioOne Pro for 15 months, and did only transfer of recorded stuff from Cubase in all projects.
Then I started recording new stuff with midi and this is what happends with their approach to midi cc recording:
- start recording midi, like hammond I did, and turned on leslie after 2 bars.
- playing this back later - leslie was turned on right at start of clip - not at node 2 bars into clip.

So starting checking how this is handled
- it takes the first node of anything recorded and interpolate to use as initial value
- and it sends this just as clip starts

This is f***d - and does not work.

So this is why daws like Cubase and Cakewalk - allow options how midi cc is to be handled - convert to automation or keep as midi events in clips.

So if workflow recording is from a synth that you tweak things in realtime - attack on envelopes or similar - StudioOne can't do it. First change of midi cc is recorded on clip and sent at start of clip instead - not when you started tweaking. For me this was showstopper - maybe no problem for others.

If they noticed this - and fixed in v5.x I don't know. Check it out.

lfm wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:59 am
D.Wako wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:25 am

I ran StudioOne Pro for 15 months, and did only transfer of recorded stuff from Cubase in all projects.
Then I started recording new stuff with midi and this is what happends with their approach to midi cc recording:
- start recording midi, like hammond I did, and turned on leslie after 2 bars.
- playing this back later - leslie was turned on right at start of clip - not at node 2 bars into clip.

So starting checking how this is handled
- it takes the first node of anything recorded and interpolate to use as initial value
- and it sends this just as clip starts

This is f***d - and does not work.

So this is why daws like Cubase and Cakewalk - allow options how midi cc is to be handled - convert to automation or keep as midi events in clips.

So if workflow recording is from a synth that you tweak things in realtime - attack on envelopes or similar - StudioOne can't do it. First change of midi cc is recorded on clip and sent at start of clip instead - not when you started tweaking. For me this was showstopper - maybe no problem for others.

If they noticed this - and fixed in v5.x I don't know. Check it out.
That's weird. Don't think it'll be a showstopper for me but will investigate for sure. Thank for your time.
What ever!

MIDI handling in v5 seems to be reworked/changed, because they added support for poly pressure and MPE.
PolyAT was requested long, long time ago and for some strange reason, S1 up till now didn't have this functionality. Maybe the CC# handling is also fixed, don't know.

D.Wako wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 am Anyone has a side by side feature comparison list between Pro and Artist version? Kind of hard to tell the way it's presented right now.
I copied everything from the page to text editor and made a comparison between the features listed in v5 Pro version and not mentioned in v5 Artist version
  • 64-bit floating-point WAV recording and export
  • Acoustic Drum Kits and Loops
  • Arpeggiator
  • Chord Track and Harmonic Editing
  • Chorder
  • Console Shaper
  • Electronic Audioloops
  • Electronic Kits and Musicloops
  • Extended FX Chains
  • Groove Delay
  • IR Maker
  • Listen Bus
  • Mastering Tools
  • Mix Engine FX
  • Mixer Scenes
  • MTC/MMC Synchronization
  • Multi Instruments
  • Multiband Dynamics
  • Note FX
  • OpenAIR
  • Pipeline XT
  • Presence XT core library
  • Producer Loops and Kits
  • Project Page
  • Publication and distribution
  • Repeater
  • Scope
  • Score Editor
  • Scratch Pads
  • Show Page
  • Studio One FX
  • Studio One Impulse Responses
  • Video Import/Export/Player

Soundsets included in Artist version (~6.5GB total):
  • Impact XT Kits and Sounds
  • Prime Selection Loops and Sounds
  • Studio One Expansion
  • Studio One Instruments Vol 1
  • Studio One Instruments Vol 2
  • Studio One Musicloops
  • Studio One Piano
  • Ueberschall Impact Drums
  • Vengeance-Sound
  • Voodoo One Synth

Kumi_27 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 am MIDI handling in v5 seems to be reworked/changed, because they added support for poly pressure and MPE.
But no support for sysex still, from what I can see.
You cannot record sysex at all as it was.
Very handy to just send a dump from synth to daw and you send that before project starts, like I start project on bar 5 or 10.

Cubase, Reaper and Cakewalk support this. Cakewalk even has sysex manager so you can choose to record on track or use a slot in sysex manager to be sent when you want.

I went really far in how to handle sysex and use special controller plugins that could hold sysex you want sent. Especially my Yamaha piano need that since all parameters were not tweakable in their gui on piano.

lfm wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:23 am But no support for sysex still, from what I can see.
Well, for quite a long time S1 wasn't the "recommended DAW" for MIDI recording, because of its shortcomings. Maybe Presonus will address some of them in next updates.

I think the most recommended for MIDI functionality was Sonar (Cakewalk).

Kumi_27 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 am MIDI handling in v5 seems to be reworked/changed, because they added support for poly pressure and MPE.
PolyAT was requested long, long time ago and for some strange reason, S1 up till now didn't have this functionality. Maybe the CC# handling is also fixed, don't know.

D.Wako wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 am Anyone has a side by side feature comparison list between Pro and Artist version? Kind of hard to tell the way it's presented right now.
I copied everything from the page to text editor and made a comparison between the features listed in v5 Pro version and not mentioned in v5 Artist version
Yea i found that list earlier. very useful thanks.

And good point about MPE. I guess it would be pointless if midi was not implemented properly.

I got to say i was very exited about SO5 but now i think I'll wait and try the demo before i buy. Thanks.
What ever!

lfm, are you using ReWire to run the SysEx in another DAW now?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Dialog Audio seems to have plugins dedicated to do such tasks as storing SysEx messages
https://dialogaudio.com/modulationproce ... _setup.php

You don’t need to use the automation lane at all to record real time knob tweaking in stu 1.
Just create a new track assigned to the same instrument and record data in that clip ( use transport record instead of automation write )
All recorded midi is now nicely packed into a clip/event
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:59 am

You don’t need to use the automation lane at all to record real time knob tweaking in stu 1.
Just create a new track assigned to the same instrument and record data in that clip ( use transport record instead of automation write )
All recorded midi is now nicely packed into a clip/event
It's not that you get track automation I am referring to - it's midi cc lanes that are not treated as data as recorded.
Problem is that they don't send only where nodes from actual data - they create a interpolated initial value that create the problem. So they send midi cc where nothing was recorded - at beginning of clip.

Mod wheel is usually no problem, if at zero, you can always adjust clip start to be at zero level and whatever first value will be what is was as recorded.

But most other knobs on a synth, external is what I use, I don't have a clue which midi cc is attack, decay or whatever knob I tweak is - and even less which value is has in that program preset I start off with before recording anything. So it becomes a full investigation to try and fix this once recorded.

Seriously flawed in my world....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”