Anyone else excited for what Ableton has been working on?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can I clarify whether my last post was rude or aggressive or personal to anyone?! As far as I can tell I made a very polite post with a few small suggestions within a thread about changes to Live. So that’s seems entirely within context. I also repeatedly said that I think live is a good bit of software. Which I do.

So, in summary, I politely suggest some small improvements to a piece of software that I like and use and that makes me a whiner.

Has the level of discussion around here really deteriorated that badly?!

quincy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am So, in summary, I politely suggest some small improvements to a piece of software that I like and use and that makes me a whiner.

Personal attacks are sadly a common thing on KVR and the Internet in general.
Besides this one 'attack' this thread is civil and on-topic so I don't see any deterioration.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 am Excuse me? Assuming you're talking about dummy clips, Bitwig can do the same automation tricks with clips that Live can, so I can't see how the former is "far more flexible and powerful"?
No, I am talking about clip envelopes, which do not automate absolute values but modulating values in relationship to their current position...
Clip envelopes with the newly implementation of the rightclick menu for different shapes and Abletons new "transform tool" makes them very very flexible to work with and very very powerful imho...
The problem I have with modulators like Bitwig have that they are to limited in telling them what to do at which point in time...
They are easy to set up...yes... but if you want to change their behaviour in time you need a modulator for a modulator for a modulator and perhaps even then you don´t be able to achieve what you had actually in mind...
With Abletons clip envelopes I can tell the modulation what EXACTLY to do at the EXACT point in time...

Bitwig has clip envelopes only for a little fixed set of parameters and you cannot duplicate a region of them... there I find Ableton more flexible and more powerful...

Let me say it other way round...

- Bitwig is better for "happy little accidents"... you throw a few modulators onto whatever and see what happens...
- Abletons system, even if not as easy to use, is more aimed to be precise... you want something special to achieve: here you can do it...

In many cases that's true, but also: a) most FX don't offer any or enough modulation options, b) sometimes you need a global modulation, that can be applied to several devices, e.g. you want to at once reduce cut-off on a synth plugin, increase drive in saturation plugin and make the panorama wider for the 'side' signal; all in varying amounts, but still together. That's a lot of manual work, if you don't have global modulation system, like Bitwig's.
It´s perhaps silly to say so but do you know what the users of DAWs without any modulation capabilities do??
a) use the right tools... if plugin A doesn´t offer what you like... take plugin B
b) there is always automation respectively copy and paste of envelopes
c) for Ableton users not a big deal anyway...

That´s all sometimes a bit more work... yes... but with the benefit to be able to be precise...
I definitely agree with the other poster that Live's LFO / Shaper / Env. Follower devices shouldn't be tied to Suite / M4L and shouldn't incurr such a big CPU hit. Last time I checked it was 10x more than Bitwig's equivalent.
I absolutely agree that M4L in it´s current state is quite CPU intense, but I disagree that it´s needed for every or even the most modulation tasks in Ableton... because of that I hardly find this to be a showstopper...
Last edited by Trancit on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

quincy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am Can I clarify whether my last post was rude or aggressive or personal to anyone?! As far as I can tell I made a very polite post with a few small suggestions within a thread about changes to Live. So that’s seems entirely within context. I also repeatedly said that I think live is a good bit of software. Which I do.

So, in summary, I politely suggest some small improvements to a piece of software that I like and use and that makes me a whiner.

Sorry if you find my posting as a personal attack even if I cannot find any indicator for that in my words...
If I perhaps expressed myself wrong and was rude be assured it wasn´t meant to be...

I just cannot agree with your accusations and wanted to start a discussion on that topic...
Peace... :tu:
Rivanni wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am
quincy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am So, in summary, I politely suggest some small improvements to a piece of software that I like and use and that makes me a whiner.

Besides this one 'attack' this thread is civil and on-topic so I don't see any deterioration.
Could you please quote me about the personal attacks I did???

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:11 am
For example, if I want to use one of the many interesting MIDI devices on the market I have to use 2 tracks so I can "pipe" the MIDI notes from one track to another. I cannot just drop a VST synth onto a track and then put a MIDI device in front of it.
Which is the same for every major Sequencer on the market... they all work like this...Cubase, S1, Logic, Cakewalk... the only exceptions are Reaper and Bitwig... or you perhaps prefer an even worse way like FL Studio does...
I would say Ableton is in a very good position there...
I'm using several MIDI plugins almost daily in FL Studio and it's total simple, you just have to adjust the input and output ports and with that system I can control all synths and other MIDI effects in a track with one MIDI plugin or a chain of MIDI plugins. Meanwhile it's also possible to record MIDI, but I have another MIDI plugin which does this very comfortable since years. I'm with you, that FL Studio was a long time not the best choice for MIDI plugins, but meanwhile it's a weapon!

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 amClip envelopes with the newly implementation of the rightclick menu for different shapes and Abletons new "transform tool" makes them very very flexible to work with and very very powerful imho...
Yes, this I agree with. I've edited my post in the meantime, too.

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 amThe problem I have with modulators like Bitwig have that they are to limited in telling them what to do at which point in time... They are easy to set up...yes... but if you want to change their behaviour in time you need a modulator for a modulator for a modulator and perhaps even then you don´t be able to achieve what you had actually in mind... With Abletons clip envelopes I can tell the modulation what EXACTLY to do at the EXACT point in time... Bitwig has clip envelopes only for a little fixed set of parameters and you cannot duplicate a region of them... there I find Ableton more flexible and more powerful...
Either I'm not aware of something in Live, or you're not aware of how this works in Bitwig. Bitwig also offers absolute, additive an multiplicative clip automation, which can be decoupled from clip's length & loop, copied & pasted and it's accessible for ALL parameters of the track & devices that are on it.

And with regards to the difference in approach, where Bitwig's modulators work "around" currently static - or automated! - parameter value and thus can seem imprecise vs. Live's modulators that take over the currently set parameter value it's indeed something I missed at first when I switched, but I can't imagine going back to how Live does it now :) It's just more flexible and fun, which I guess you captured perfectly with:
Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 am- Bitwig is better for "happy little accidents"... you throw a few modulators onto whatever and see what happens...
- Abletons system, even if not as easy to use, is more aimed to be precise... you want something special to achieve: here you can do it...
:tu:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 am
Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 amThe problem I have with modulators like Bitwig have that they are to limited in telling them what to do at which point in time... They are easy to set up...yes... but if you want to change their behaviour in time you need a modulator for a modulator for a modulator and perhaps even then you don´t be able to achieve what you had actually in mind... With Abletons clip envelopes I can tell the modulation what EXACTLY to do at the EXACT point in time... Bitwig has clip envelopes only for a little fixed set of parameters and you cannot duplicate a region of them... there I find Ableton more flexible and more powerful...
Either I'm not aware of something in Live, or you're not aware of how this works in Bitwig. Bitwig also offers absolute, additive an multiplicative clip automation, which can be decoupled from clip's length & loop, copied & pasted and it's accessible for ALL parameters of the track & devices that are on it....
Really????
I know about additive and multiplicative automation but I never managed to do this inside of a clip in the arranger ... only in Bitwigs clip launcher...
I hardly work in Session View or Clip Launcher so the only part I am interested in is the Arrange View... how do you do clip automation in the arranger in Bitwig??

Personally, I like how Live is being developed and managed. I like a lot the quality of the synths and instruments they have. Push 2 has a great integration with Live and its instruments.
For some years I kept switching from DAW to DAW (including Live!) but lately it was between Live and Bitwig. In the end I liked Live Suite more than any other DAW and one of the reasons is its direction and upgrade pricing. More importantly, I like the DAW itself and its contents more :) It is also almost a complete environment for me (with some additional hardware and soft plugins). Yes, M4L is still slow to start and heavier than other tools, but I don't use it that much. I prefer to automate some effects parameters rather than modulate them as I need some change just in a specific place in the song not really keep changing by an LFO for example.

Oh well, I think I will stay with version 10 for few years even if version 11 is near as I feel I have everything I need, so it is better to spend/save my money for other more needed things :)

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am
quincy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am Can I clarify whether my last post was rude or aggressive or personal to anyone?! As far as I can tell I made a very polite post with a few small suggestions within a thread about changes to Live. So that’s seems entirely within context. I also repeatedly said that I think live is a good bit of software. Which I do.

Sorry if you find my posting as a personal attack even if I cannot find any indicator for that in my words...
If I perhaps expressed myself wrong and was rude be assured it wasn´t meant to be...

I just cannot agree with your accusations and wanted to start a discussion on that topic...
Rivanni wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am

Could you please quote me about the personal attacks I did???
You wrote "Again: Ableton is in a very very good position here... this is whining on a very high level here... imho..." and Quincy didn't like this and saw this as an 'attack' as you can read in his comment, saying this thread deteriorated. That I found exaggerated.

Back to on-topic.
Last edited by Rivanni on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 amhow do you do clip automation in the arranger in Bitwig??
"A" is the default shortcut to open automation panel, then switch to Clip mode.

Here I'm scaling an absolute automation with a multiplicative one spanning 4 loops:

Music tech enthusiast

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am Sorry if you find my posting as a personal attack even if I cannot find any indicator for that in my words...

No worries. You quoted my post and then said it was whining but clearly no offence intended. I’m not trying to whine, just make constructive suggestions for improvement. For balance, I have actually emailed Bitwig support to suggest features from Ableton so it’s all for the greater good of improving all this software we use. They both have features that at the other would benefit from.

quincy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am
Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am Sorry if you find my posting as a personal attack even if I cannot find any indicator for that in my words...

No worries. You quoted my post and then said it was whining but clearly no offence intended. I’m not trying to whine, just make constructive suggestions for improvement. For balance, I have actually emailed Bitwig support to suggest features from Ableton so it’s all for the greater good of improving all this software we use. They both have features that at the other would benefit from.
For the non-native English speakers here (at least American English): saying someone is "whining" about something is generally derogatory. What I would say in the same context is that someone is "nit-picking" meaning trying to find small faults in something. That being said...every piece of software in existence has faults ;)

Rivanni wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:37 am ... this is whining on a very high level here... imho...
Ah, ok... I already thought so that it´s about that...

Perhaps this would be misunderstood... I tried to translate this from my native language...
This is not meant personal...

Can some native english perhaps explain me what he thinks that shall mean???
Would be interesting for me... 8)

rezoneight wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:54 pmFor the non-native English speakers here (at least American English): saying someone is "whining" about something is generally derogatory.
An equivalent of "whining" in any language is generally negative, as it means ill-spirited, unfounded and unjust criticism :)
Music tech enthusiast

quincy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am No worries. You quoted my post and then said it was whining but clearly no offence intended. ...
It was really not meant as "traditional whining" ... it´s my try to translate a phrase from my language into english...
Sorry for the confusion... :hug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”