Scam Avoidance: How to check out a producer’s credentials?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A friend has been contacted by a producer - he’s heard her songs and likes them. He normally charges “x” but likes her stuff so much he’ll only charge “y” ... you get the idea.

Now the interesting thing is Wikipedia seems to show that he has indeed worked with at least one multi-platinum artist (but looks like a small writing credit on one track, on disc 2 of a 2-disc album that wasn’t brilliantly received, back in 2013) and we can’t see his name linked to the other huge artists he’s mentioned, but can’t assume Wikipedia would list that kind of info. His IG feed appears to show him one-on-one with some of these people, and they don’t look Photoshopped, but we still don’t know the context.

So we’re curious to dig further, if for no other reason than it’s a good exercise. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good resource where you can look up a producer and verify who they’ve worked with and in what capacity?

allmusic.com used to be .org and a fairly good accumulation of creds. But last time I checked it was popping up adds like mushrooms.

Why would the producer charge? What would her role be? What would his role be?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi

Why not get right to the point with the person in question and ask them for their resume?

I mean it would seem perfectly acceptable that someone trying to get your business is transparent about their experience before you give them YOUR money.

Yes, my retort would be: this is a fantastic opportunity for me - but before I part with my cash can you send me your full resume...

zestyO wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 pm A friend has been contacted by a producer - he’s heard her songs and likes them. He normally charges “x” but likes her stuff so much he’ll only charge “y” ... you get the idea.
What exactly is he charging for?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:20 pm
zestyO wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 pm A friend has been contacted by a producer - he’s heard her songs and likes them. He normally charges “x” but likes her stuff so much he’ll only charge “y” ... you get the idea.
What exactly is he charging for?
This!

There are some great suggestions above.
Just make sure he is who he claims.
Google a photo if possible so you can see what he looks like.

Also, listen to his ideas and see if he offers some concrete creative ideas.
Also, ask what his cut is......

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

To me, the fact that this 'producer' is having to solicit clients means they're not succeeding in and of themselves, and the price reduction is part of their standard pitch. Avoid.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Check for tats.

Credits from the past don't mean much. It's about someone's current working status.
From experience, a producer that's interested in new talent won't charge anything (upfront).
He would want to try to work with that talent and if anything good comes out of those try out sessions, he would present some sort of agreement that he can recoup his investments from future sales.
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:29 am
To me, the fact that this 'producer' is having to solicit clients means they're not succeeding in and of themselves, and the price reduction is part of their standard pitch. Avoid.
Pretty Much.

zestyO wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 pm I was wondering [...]
Me too. So what happened? You never reported back :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Sorry sorry for not getting back - I never received any notification emails so I assumed this post died on its feet! Appreciate all the replies. The friend decided it sounded too dodgy. I agree.

I've had 2 offers for collaboration, by message to my Soundcloud account, by apparently established producer/remixers, but requested that i pay £250 up front. I took it for a scam.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”