Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

the.new.me wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 am Hey Stu!

are there plants to add zero random phase option in the oscillator/generator section? also any plants to add cpu-friendly oscillator?
Heya! The new 'Hard' Unison option is probably what you are looking for. Not really sure what you mean by a cpu-friendly oscillator...

The best place to join the conversation about feature requests is in the Kilohearts discord, by the way. You may find the things you're interested in have already been discussed.

The Discord link is in my signature. :-)

StuSmith wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 am

are there plants to add zero random phase option in the oscillator/generator section? also any plants to add cpu-friendly oscillator?
Heya! The new 'Hard' Unison option is probably what you are looking for. Not really sure what you mean by a cpu-friendly oscillator...

The best place to join the conversation about feature requests is in the Kilohearts discord, by the way. You may find the things you're interested in have already been discussed.

Hey! thank you for the replay. No not hard unison, but random phase. I wrote this to support some time ago and your collegue Per. Right now if i use unison and play chords, the sound is tacky, hard to describe, but its not reseting, but sound is a bit like playing sample without round robin.

About CPU friendly oscillator, this is something i understud from your collegue when i asked about quality settings:
There are no plans to introduce quality settings, but there are plans to add more types of generators as Phase Plant evolves. This could potentially include less demanding generators. The Analog generator is generating a pretty high quality signal compared to most other synths. This is because the FM capabilities of Phase Plant allows you to torture the signal very hard, and those types of operations tend to expose imperfections easily, so we wanted to make it as good as possible to avoid stuff like that.

the.new.me wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:52 am

Hey! thank you for the replay. No not hard unison, but random phase. I wrote this to support some time ago and your collegue Per. Right now if i use unison and play chords, the sound is tacky, hard to describe, but its not reseting, but sound is a bit like playing sample without round robin.

About CPU friendly oscillator, this is something i understud from your collegue when i asked about quality settings:
There are no plans to introduce quality settings, but there are plans to add more types of generators as Phase Plant evolves. This could potentially include less demanding generators. The Analog generator is generating a pretty high quality signal compared to most other synths. This is because the FM capabilities of Phase Plant allows you to torture the signal very hard, and those types of operations tend to expose imperfections easily, so we wanted to make it as good as possible to avoid stuff like that.
Ah ok... so you've tried the new unison modes in v1.8.5? I'm not an expert on the technicalities but I was informed that the 'Hard' mode is zero random phase.

If the low-quality generator option has been discussed before with Per then it will already on the feature requests list. Can't say if or when that will be dealt with by the team though!

I don't find the oscillators to be CPU-intensive at all. I can play a 5 note chord with just a single "Analog" oscillator loaded and CPU is around 2% on my Core-i7 laptop.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just subscribed to their monthly subscription scheme so let's check this thing out...

That's what the new unison modes are. Try them out. You can do very punchy/plucky sounds now.

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 pm

That's what the new unison modes are. Try them out. You can do very punchy/plucky sounds now.
Sorry, i think i wrote it wrong. I ment Free-random phase so the sound in unison wouldnt be so tacky :)

the.new.me wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Sorry, i think i wrote it wrong. I ment Free-random phase so the sound in unison wouldnt be so tacky :)
Ahh, so you mean random phase, the new unison has 2 modes better suited for that I think: smooth, and synthetic. Not sure how random they are though.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 am I don't find the oscillators to be CPU-intensive at all. I can play a 5 note chord with just a single "Analog" oscillator loaded and CPU is around 2% on my Core-i7 laptop.
If you are not using Unison, indeed it doesnt look like its CPU-Intensive :) but when you turn on Unison on the oscillator, then it does become CPU-intensive (as a reference, Serum takes 2% less with same unison count and voice setting when playing 4 note chords). :)

So don't turn unison on, it always burns through CPU cycles. Serum doesn't even have a "normal" oscillator, does it? It's wavetables or nothing as far as I can see. So it's likely PP is actually generating the waveform in real time, which is always going to use more CPU cycles but will result in a technically better waveform than a bunch of samples. How does PP compare with a wavetable osc? (I've never used one in PP so I'm not sure what it's like.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Guys I got a question its not what is the best synth its more like what can Phase Plant give me in addition to the other synth I already have.
So I currently roll with Serum, Pigments, Repro, Avenger, Omnisphere and Ableton stock synth.

Im asking bc I want a reason to buy it bc it looks so cool 😁 So, is there anything Phaseplan can give what the ones above cant?

Thx

Tendou wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:32 am Guys I got a question its not what is the best synth its more like what can Phase Plant give me in addition to the other synth I already have.
So I currently roll with Serum, Pigments, Repro, Avenger, Omnisphere and Ableton stock synth.

Im asking bc I want a reason to buy it bc it looks so cool 😁 So, is there anything Phaseplan can give what the ones above cant?

Thx
Putting different osc modules through different effects busses is a good reason. Some of the Kilohearts effects are also good: Tape Stop! There's also some really good Wavetables in Phase Plant.

I have every synth you mentioned, Phaseplant is one of the most used.

Tendou wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:32 am Guys I got a question its not what is the best synth its more like what can Phase Plant give me in addition to the other synth I already have.

Thx
In PhasePlant it's just fun doing FM, as you can directly see the waveform being modulated. Also I learned a lot what has which effect.
Additionally the layout/GUI is intuitive and you can work fast with it.

Only negative point, which is being worked on currently, is the missing overview of all modulations, but that's a minor point for me.

Anyway, it's fun and a different, more modular approach than Serum
I'd compare it more with Zebra2. PP has a much better and modern interface. Zebra2 has overall more functionality but too convoluted to work fast imo.

Thx
I think you got everything covered. PP is a good(the best imo) semi-modular(you still have generator, mod and fx sections).
I don’t think you’ll need-need it but still it does something that what you already have doesn’t.

mschenkel wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Thx
I don’t think you’ll need-need it but still it does something that what you already have doesn’t.
mhhh and what would that be? 🧐

Return to “Instruments”