KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:34 pm dampened shit doesnt smell great to me
FTFY

well i didnt actually say bad, i said it could be better.
bare in mind the actual price tag on this synth, ok no one pays that, but if they have the front to ask it, maybe just a little more better ;)

vurt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm well i didnt actually say bad, i said it could be better.
bare in mind the actual price tag on this synth, ok no one pays that, but if they have the front to ask it, maybe just a little more better ;)
It would be interesting to know what the devs have to say about it. The way I see it, the thing with the aliasing in Massive X e.g. was a big bowl of... something. ;)

that image means nothing to me, i couldnt tell you if it was aliasing or not.... or even what aliasing is.... someone did explain it once, but too long ago for me to remember

either I like it, can't hear it, or all the synths I use don't alias

f**k knows

This video is a good explanation of what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4bVbXfdW4

I agree with you though. Couldn't care less about it, especially as it mostly is in the non audible area anyway.

AnX wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:45 pm that image means nothing to me, i couldnt tell you if it was aliasing or not.... or even what aliasing is.... someone did explain it once, but too long ago for me to remember

either I like it, can't hear it, or all the synths I use don't alias

f**k knows
all that drilling and sawing.
planimg off the high frequencies like a shamford sill... (colud be spelled different, couldnt give a monkeys)

dionenoid wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:27 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am
machinesworking wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:50 am Personally I've enjoyed the aliasing discussion. I'm a huge fan of soft synths, but I do think a lot of them sound weak at higher registers. I like that people have bothered to explain and show it as clearly as we see here.
yup and its remained fairly civil (by kvr standards especially)
i dont see the problem in wanting better, when we know better is possible (not perfect, just better)
Yep indeed. This is actually a pretty good technical discussion. And it confirms what i was hearing when demoing.
Ditto. It also made me curious about some other synths I own. It was quite interesting to see that the sytnhs behaved somewhat differently. On the upside, I got cool digital noises. Hell, I even made a small ambient track out of the aliasing from Oberhausen. :D

Maybe someone more technically inclined could start an vsti aliasing shootout thread or something. I'd read it.

As for Knifonium, I've listened to some samples here and there and I can't make up my mind about it. It's certainly capable of some cool sounds, but the raw sound from oscillators sounds rather underwhelming compared to Oberhausen, which I really, really like. I feel like it's almost there, but a little something is missing to make me consider buying it, at least not at its current intro price. :shrug:

itanever wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:07 pm
dionenoid wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:27 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am
machinesworking wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:50 am Personally I've enjoyed the aliasing discussion. I'm a huge fan of soft synths, but I do think a lot of them sound weak at higher registers. I like that people have bothered to explain and show it as clearly as we see here.
yup and its remained fairly civil (by kvr standards especially)
i dont see the problem in wanting better, when we know better is possible (not perfect, just better)
Yep indeed. This is actually a pretty good technical discussion. And it confirms what i was hearing when demoing.
Ditto. It also made me curious about some other synths I own. It was quite interesting to see that the sytnhs behaved somewhat differently. On the upside, I got cool digital noises. Hell, I even made a small ambient track out of the aliasing from Oberhausen. :D

Maybe someone more technically inclined could start an vsti aliasing shootout thread or something. I'd read it.
TBH, I rather see the use for people who watch their iPhone for weeks to find a edge which doesn't suit them.

In real world scenarios, you will deal with aliasing in the least cases. TBH, I never ran into a situation where I noticed aliasing, on any synth. I noticed other things dozens of times, like lack of audio rate modulation, crappy resonant behavior of filters, shitty envelopes (mostly has to do with too slow reaction of the envelope stages), or even bugs like filters leaking frequencies when they shouldn't. Really, aliasing is like no. 186 of my concerns.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:11 pm TBH, I rather see the use for people who watch their iPhone for weeks to find a edge which doesn't suit them.

In real world scenarios, you will deal with aliasing in the least cases. TBH, I never ran into a situation where I noticed aliasing, on any synth. I noticed other things dozens of times, like lack of audio rate modulation, crappy resonant behavior of filters, shitty envelopes (mostly has to do with too slow reaction of the envelope stages), or even bugs like filters leaking frequencies when they shouldn't. Really, aliasing is like no. 186 of my concerns.
I'd find it an interesting read. In general I'm not that concerened about aliasing, I usually ignore the aliasing police. Until yesterday I hadn't even tryied to look whether a vsti aliases or not. So I'm most certainly not complaining about aliasing, but it's an iteresting discussion nevertheless, at least from an educational point of view. At the end I'll trust my ears or let my GAS decide. :D

itanever wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:24 pm I'd find it an interesting read. In general I'm not that concerened about aliasing, I usually ignore the aliasing police. Until yesterday I hadn't even tryied to look whether a vsti aliases or not.
See? :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:25 pm
itanever wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:24 pm I'd find it an interesting read. In general I'm not that concerened about aliasing, I usually ignore the aliasing police. Until yesterday I hadn't even tryied to look whether a vsti aliases or not.
See? :)
This doesn't invalidate the point, that these kinds of discussions are educating. And thanks to this thread I found a new way how to misuse my vstis for sound design purposes. :)

Sure... the question is how much education you can get from end users who don't develop plugins themselves. Maybe there's something fundamental that they are missing.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:11 pm In real world scenarios, you will deal with aliasing in the least cases. TBH, I never ran into a situation where I noticed aliasing, on any synth. I noticed other things dozens of times, like lack of audio rate modulation, crappy resonant behavior of filters, shitty envelopes (mostly has to do with too slow reaction of the envelope stages), or even bugs like filters leaking frequencies when they shouldn't. Really, aliasing is like no. 186 of my concerns.
well in case of knifonium, shoddy parameter response that changes with sampling rate is what i'd chuck under "too slow reaction of X" or rather too unpredictable.
chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:37 pm Sure... the question is how much education you can get from end users who don't develop plugins themselves. Maybe there's something fundamental that they are missing.
you don't have to know how to code c++ to understand basics of digital audio and DSP - you really don't.
That's like saying that you can't tune or understand how a guitar works if you can't build one.

Even if you count me out, more than one person here commented with proof and reasonable arguments. "Maybe you're wrong" is not really a retort to the extent of which some of these comments go here.
Maybe there's something fundamental missing that's prohibiting you from understanding what these comments are trying to convey?

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:58 pm Well... here's the proof that the sine produces harmonics even with a C2 note:

Knifonium_sine.jpg

I don't hear anything different even at C7.
That is absolutely not a sine wave. A pure sine wave would not have any harmonics. It’s literally the definition of a sine wave.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Ploki wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:24 pm Maybe there's something fundamental missing that's prohibiting you from understanding what these comments are trying to convey?
Personally you've done a fine job of explaining your point, don't worry about outliers.

Return to “Instruments”