All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

USB cable doesn't reach far enough, and as I've been postponing getting my USB ports sorted for many months now, I'm sorry but I have to gather the courage for that first (I know it sounds silly, I'm not well though).

I did find a clarifying comment from some Youtube user:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HBRHQ2Abik wrote:Seems no data cables on USB are used - only +5V and GND. Right next to USB port it must be a push type voltage regulator, for sure it doubles the USB supplied +5V into 9V. Definitely not a digital effect. 2 PCBs are required to fit all big components - jack barrels, footswitch and pots.
EDIT:
Oh, and this reply by Ryan Burke:
cuvave wrote me. They said they it’s there for the few pedals that use digital code and need software uploaded. But a few people have discovered that they can be powered off the usb

so theyre just standard cases?
pretty cool theyve wired them for power on the non digital ones i guess.

It would be cheaper to use a powered USB hub than a pedal supply, and some have individual on/off switches. Interesting :idea:

BTW Any thoughts on the Hotone Skyline Komp, Grass or Golden Touch?
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Paid for a used ZVex Sonar tremolo despite having been overbidden initially 8)
It has a foot switch to accelarate/decelarate, looking forward to that.
I may end up selling my tc Pipeline now.

I took delivery of a Hudson Electronics Broadcast last night.
https://hudsonelectronicsuk.com/product/broadcast/
Germanium transistors and a small output transformer.

It's really something else. The low end is much heavier than on the other fuzz/distortion pedals I have and the Low Cut control focuses that low end, nicely. I'm using it with a Radial EXTC, to run line level signals through and it handles harmonically complex synth sounds, really well. Highly recommended.

I'm over the moon about the Selah Quartz 2 pedal. http://www.selaheffects.com/product/quartz-timer-v2/
This thing is so handy. Keeps all of my tap-tempo based pedals and MIDI clock based pedals synchronized. There is a newer version but I don't really need the features it offers and the V2 will take V3 firmware updates.

Or you could use USB to power your standard pedals...
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Voltage-Step ... 0086442121

cptgone wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:35 pm Ordered a no-brand Mod Factory MkII mini-pedal from Amazon for a mere €34,02 (was the last unit though).
Looks like the Mooer of the same name. Amazon lists "Bnineteenteam" as brand.
Offers chorus, flange, trem, phase, vibra, rotary, liquid, autowah, stutt, ring, low bit effects.
One for the synth pedalboard :8
Arrived today, sporting the Mooer logo (unlike the ad pics!), in a Mooer box, including warranty card.
Seems I got a bargain.

Nice features (tap tempo, tempo LED, blend mode) and some of the effects seem useful (wasn't using the best of test sound sources though so who knows; ring mod didn't impress at first sight).

^ Sounds a good deal. I just ordered a Hotone Grass for £27, which I thought was pretty good. The Golden Touch was £25 but seemed more generic. The Komp looks interesting, as a LA2A “style” opto comp at £30 but will wait on it till I’ve tried the Grass.

How is the overall Mooer quality in comparison to Sonicake or Mosky? There have been rave reviews of the Grass so I’m interested what £7 extra gets me.

The optical compressor pedals I’ve used are really nothing like LA2A’s. The best thing I can say about them is they don’t change your sound at all, unlike the Ross which drastically changes the sound (the reason most people use it).

I was hoping it would be like my Art Levelar compressor, with a faster attack than the Xvive Lemon Squeezer.

The Levelar is also described as an “LA-“ type opto compressor. I don’t know, or care really, if it’s anything like it. It just sounds good to me on bass and acoustics. Something similar in pedal form would be handy.

The attack is very fast and the transparency will definitely be better on acoustic than than a vintage-style compressor. The Lemon Squeezer seems good, too.

The Lemon Squeezer is very good just not what I was used to. I can now set and forget it quickly, but that wasn’t immediate.

The Hotone Komp has mixed reviews so I’m also looking for alternatives. The Landlord FX A Cheeky Pint Compressor Pedal looks good, though could be a rebranded Donner Ultimate Comp/Rowin Comp et al. which are much cheaper.

How about the Caline Pressure Point Bass Compressor? They say it’s optical, one of the Caline guys is a friend of mine but they unfortunately have a tendency to advertise incorrect information. Anyway, it adds some really good features and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is actually a knock off of the MXR Bass Compressor (which isn’t optical but is awesome on bass and acoustic).

khanyz wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 am The Hotone Komp has mixed reviews so I’m also looking for alternatives. The Landlord FX A Cheeky Pint Compressor Pedal looks good, though could be a rebranded Donner Ultimate Comp/Rowin Comp et al. which are much cheaper.
I thought the same about the Landlord Cheeky pint and the Donner, the toggle switch appears to do different things, it's a treble switch on the Donner and more compression on the Cheeky Pint. I sometimes wonder if some are just copies of copies.

I have the Cheeky Pint and keep it on most of the time at the front end, higher settings could be used on a bass, it just gives me a more stable sound.

Been splitting hairs between a Caline Gale Force and a Ammoon/Joyo/HB AP-05 Dynamic Compressor for near the end of the pedal chain, for just a bit of twang when needed.

This video made my mind up on the Ammoon (the cheaper brand), and the lack of quality demos of the Caline, who I rate along with Mosky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYdxoAURmk

I've been researching Riot clones, and the only way for me to make a decision is to hear a credible comparison and recording. The Donner Morpher appears to be similar to a Mooer Solo, but, I think it could just be a copy of the Mooer. I've yet to hear a Morpher demo as good as the Mooer vs Suhr.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Ordered one of these

I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Guitars”