Ableton recording latency issue

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately, I've been experiencing some latency issues with Ableton when recording.
Using Ableton 10.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro DSP 24.
I've never had this issue before but now, even when recording in a new session, even when 'Low latency monitoring' is ticked, I get a huge amount of latency. This happens even with buffer size set to 64 samples and I can't seem to shake it off. Impossible to record anything. Tried uninstalling and re-installing, tried changing the buffer a few times, clearing the cache folder. Nothing helps.
In Pro tools - everything works great. No latency, same setup.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Running at 64 samples can still give you lots of latency, depending on what's going on in and around Ableton. Try a higher buffer size like 512 + direct monitoring through your sound card. Do you have a lot of CPU-heavy plugins running? Other programs running apart from Ableton, even something like Google Chrome? This kind of stuff can contribute to latency as well.

Check setup of the audio device. Is driver type WDM or Asio selected? It should be Asio. See step 4 here:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -Interface
jeremycsf wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:35 pm Running at 64 samples can still give you lots of latency, depending on what's going on in and around Ableton. Try a higher buffer size like 512
This is wrong. Larger buffers give more latency. But less chance of drop-outs.
Other programs running apart from Ableton, even something like Google Chrome? This kind of stuff can contribute to latency as well.
Again, nope. Maybe causing dropouts, but other running programs can not contribute to latency.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Wow, yes, my mistake, I read/wrote this quickly... :dog:

BertKoor wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 pm Check setup of the audio device. Is driver type WDM or Asio selected? It should be Asio. See step 4 here:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -Interface
Yeah, it's selected as ASIO, still, I'm getting a huge amount of latency :cry:
will try a different audio interface in the next few days and check if the issue remains.
It's very odd as it happens even with new projects (one track, no plugins whatsoever) and my computer is very strong and I can't spot any CPU peaks as well.

could be a plugin dats causing dis shit. ozone and adaptiverb and little alter boy cause latency on other tracks

Kinh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:30 pm could be a plugin dats causing dis shit. ozone and adaptiverb and little alter boy cause latency on other tracks
except the bit where he says even on a new project with no plugins...

Kinh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:30 pm could be a plugin dats causing dis shit. ozone and adaptiverb and little alter boy cause latency on other tracks
+1

What else do you have in your Live set?

Do you have other plugins already there? Anything saved in your template set that maybe you forgot about? - Such as on a return track or the master track?

Some delays effect plugins also cause latency (if you've added to a return track)

For the plugins added in your set, you can view the latency added just by hovering the mouse cursor over the title bar of the plugin added.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ive-device

Like the ones Kinh mentioned as examples... those cause lots of latency. Removing them (not just deactivating them) will resolve your issue.

**EDIT** Also double check if there are any native effects anywhere. I just noticed that Live's Limiter introduces 128 samples of latency too.

vurt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:41 pm
except the bit where he says even on a new project with no plugins...
wha?

elxsound wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm
+1

Do you have other plugins already there? Anything saved in your template set that maybe you forgot about? - Such as on a return track or the master track?

Some delays effect plugins also cause latency (if you've added to a return track)

For the plugins added in your set, you can view the latency added just by hovering the mouse cursor over the title bar of the plugin added.

Like the ones Kinh mentioned as examples... those cause lots of latency. Removing them (not just deactivating them) will resolve your issue.

**EDIT** Also double check if there are any native effects anywhere. I just noticed that Live's Limiter introduces 128 samples of latency too.
Thanks! I'll double-check all of that during the weekend.
As far as I can remember, there were absolutely no plugins on this project and it happens every time. Also, another thing is that there are occasional clicks and pops (CPU overload-like) but my computer is very strong and I wasn't able to notice anything on the task manager.
I'll check all of that and maybe try uploading a short video showcasing it.

curtiscole wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 am
elxsound wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm
+1

Thanks! I'll double-check all of that during the weekend.
As far as I can remember, there were absolutely no plugins on this project and it happens every time. Also, another thing is that there are occasional clicks and pops (CPU overload-like) but my computer is very strong and I wasn't able to notice anything on the task manager.
I'll check all of that and maybe try uploading a short video showcasing it.
my money's on da other plugins

A few more questions...

When you say you never experienced this before... What if anything can you remember changing? Any recent upgrades either to the operating system, driver for Focusrite or update for Live?

Any updates to anything else?

Is it safe to assume that you used to be able to record into Live 10.1 without these same latency problems?

Disable PDC and try again. iZotope ozone plugins are notoriously heavy on CPU and buffer-size. Use these when you're in the mix process, not while tracking. This is what I do in logic - i.e. disable PDC during recording and re-enable during mixing.

Other items to watch: Convolution plugins, any "linear phase eq", etc.

ACTUALLY - I SOLVED IT!!!
It was my audio interface all along or the driver itself, not sure yet. Anywho, I updated it to the latest version but still - no cigar. Unplugged the interface, plugged in an RME Babyface and - problem solved.

I'd still like to try another Focusrite interface that uses the same driver to satisfy my pervy audio-loving brain and understand whether the interface was the issue or whether it was the driver all along. But either way, for now - I'm good ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”