DDMF PluginDoctor - Alternatives linear / Harmonics Analysis

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Niowiad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 pm
Yeah I mean, it's not as immediate as I made it sound, but once the "template track" is made and saved it's a matter of 5 seconds everytime it's needed.

The track has this FX chain saved in:

- MOscillator (sends in a sinewave, as you said)
- MMultiAnalyzer (pre-fx color red)
- AB_LM (send mode)
- Plugin to be tested
- AB-LM (receiver mode)
- MMultiAnalyzer (post-fx color green)

MCompare can do the same as AB-LM? in a way, it looks.
but you use it as gain control, or loadness control here. blue cat gain, free. can do it.

harmonic movement?

What's wrong with plugin doctor? what do you need MORE EXACT?

docdued wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:42 am So what's the benefit of having it as a VST plugin?
Hi,

First: Thanks a lot for creating PluginDoctor, really enjoy using it. Was an instabuy for me.
And I think maybe a few of my suggestions over at the Gearslutz thread got implemented, don't know if others already mailed you the same things back when I posted them (be able to use two VST plugins at the same time and setting the input dB (for analog modelled plugins, which work best at -18dbfs)).

For me it's primarily to stay inside the DAW to test and make decisions on settings for VST plugins.
I love PluginDoctor, but switching between standalone for the above and my DAW feels clumsy at times.
Also, PluginDoctor is limited to two plugins.. in the DAW you could add it to as many channels as you want. Maybe overkill?

Cheers,

Rob

Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

RPH wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:53 pmAlso, PluginDoctor is limited to two plugins.. in the DAW you could add it to as many channels as you want.
You might want to look at Task Manager/Activity Monitor the next time you’ve got Plugin Doctor running.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

RPH wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:53 pm
docdued wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:42 am So what's the benefit of having it as a VST plugin?
Hi,

First: Thanks a lot for creating PluginDoctor, really enjoy using it. Was an instabuy for me.
And I think maybe a few of my suggestions over at the Gearslutz thread got implemented, don't know if others already mailed you the same things back when I posted them (be able to use two VST plugins at the same time and setting the input dB (for analog modelled plugins, which work best at -18dbfs)).

For me it's primarily to stay inside the DAW to test and make decisions on settings for VST plugins.
I love PluginDoctor, but switching between standalone for the above and my DAW feels clumsy at times.
Also, PluginDoctor is limited to two plugins.. in the DAW you could add it to as many channels as you want. Maybe overkill?

Cheers,

Rob
I would be interested in buying it as a VST also. It would be an easier flow to test whatever FX you were working on in your chain, I think.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:07 pm harmonic movement?

What's wrong with plugin doctor? what do you need MORE EXACT?
Nothing is wrong with it. Everything fine. But let´s say that we´re interested in the Difference between two EQs ... PD will just give you an Idea between the Difference of their Curves, even if you examine/layer Screenshots. No Measures, no Curve Models (Gauss etc.) ... I´ve already seen Screenshots of much more exact Tools and People analyzing the Curves on that Basis.

But no Matter - that´s just an Idea. I´ll never really find that Time...

cturner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:45 pm
RPH wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:53 pmAlso, PluginDoctor is limited to two plugins.. in the DAW you could add it to as many channels as you want.
You might want to look at Task Manager/Activity Monitor the next time you’ve got Plugin Doctor running.
Good point, I will test it tomorrow.

GusGranite wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:36 pm
Hi,

Cheers,

Rob
I would be interested in buying it as a VST also. It would be an easier flow to test whatever FX you were working on in your chain, I think.
Indeed, would pay for a seperate VST version as well.
And it doesn’t have to be with all same features, having just dynamics / oscilloscope and linear analysis is fine by me if that would make it easier to create by DDMF.
Last edited by RPH on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

GRUMP wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:51 pm
Nothing is wrong with it. Everything fine. But let´s say that we´re interested in the Difference between two EQs ... PD will just give you an Idea between the Difference of their Curves, even if you examine/layer Screenshots. No Measures, no Curve Models (Gauss etc.) ... I´ve already seen Screenshots of much more exact Tools and People analyzing the Curves on that Basis.

But no Matter - that´s just an Idea. I´ll never really find that Time...
aaah. :tu:

RPH wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 pm
cturner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:45 pm
Good point, I will test it tomorrow.
Hmm, OK. Just loading PluginDoctor uses about 20-24% of CPU (i5 9600k).
It should be idle, as no plugin is loaded and nothing happening.
PluginDoctor.png
Loading a VST plugin, adds about 10-20% to the overall CPU usage. Depending on the plugin.
PluginDoctor2.png
PluginDoctor3.png
Adding two Acustica-audio plugins, total CPU usage about 50%.
PluginDoctor4b.png
This does mean it's fine for testing a few plugins at once, but adding more quickly becomes a problem for the CPU.
At least mine, good to know. Wonder what the i9 and AMD top of the line processors can handle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RPH on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:26 pm why do you need an alternative?

bx_consoles "move" because they add noise. Any plugin that adds noise will move.
I think perhaps it is more than just noise because I can turn off the noise and it still moves

It is the TMT modeling which if you look in plugin doctor it is showing differences on every channel for eq frequency curves and stereo fields and even the compressor section is tonal different

So I think it is more that

I think one issue here is that as a plugin, you'd need to have two modes of operation: analysis mode, where the wrapped plugin is being sent the desired test signal, and, well, "playback" mode where the audio signal that is actually meant to go through your plugin is being used. You cannot measure and use the plugin at the same time...

poopinpants wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:09 am

I think perhaps it is more than just noise because I can turn off the noise and it still moves

It is the TMT modeling which if you look in plugin doctor it is showing differences on every channel for eq frequency curves and stereo fields and even the compressor section is tonal different

So I think it is more that
you can't turn off noise completely if i recall correctly - not on all of them.
TMT modelling just adds some parameter response randomisation so each channel will behave a little different, but it's not a "live" thing last time i checked. (its also way over-pronounced)

docdued wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 am
I think one issue here is that as a plugin, you'd need to have two modes of operation: analysis mode, where the wrapped plugin is being sent the desired test signal, and, well, "playback" mode where the audio signal that is actually meant to go through your plugin is being used. You cannot measure and use the plugin at the same time...
For me, one mode of operation would be fine. The analysis mode.
Measure what you want, maybe save a user preset of the settings (parameters) in the plugin measured and remove PluginDoctor after that.
I could be overlooking that option in PluginDoctor standalone, can't find where I can save my settings (parameters) in a user preset as .fxp or so.

Return to “Effects”